When requesting support it’s best to provide as much detail as necessary. This forum is comprised of volunteers (actual people who use Shotcut) with a few developers, who are also very dedicated volunteers on this project. While we don’t need your house number, but we do need basic information such as:
Shotcut Version number (in Shotcut - Help/About Shotcut)
- GPU Effects (Experimental) enabled. Yes/No. May cause cause instability.
- Video Mode
- Display Method
- Windows 10, 8, 7
Computer Specifications (In Windows, hit the Windows Key, type “system”, hit enter)
- Processor. Example: i7-7700k, 4.20GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical
- Installed Physical Memory (RAM). Example: 32.0 GB
- Available Physical Memory (RAM). Example: 21.7 GB
Screenshot of Shotcut
- If you’re new to the forum, you’re limited to just one screen shot or image file to be posted, and posting screen shots is encouraged, preferably of the entire Shotcut window showing us by having the appropriate tabs opened where exactly you’re having an issue. Just drag & drop the image into the window you’re creating the topic in. If you need to show more images, use a service like Dropbox, then post the link in here.
Source File(s) Specifications
- Codec/Extension types ( MP4, MOV, AVI, PNG, JPG, etc.)
- Resolution (examples: 1280x720, 1920x1080, 3840x2160, etc.)
- Frame rate (examples: 60fps, 59.94fps 30fps, 25fps, etc.)
- Bit rate (examples: 3224kbps or 3k, 12052 or 12k, etc)
Export File Specifictions
- Export preset selected
- Codec (libx264), Rate Control, Quality
MLT file Save your project to the mlt file, and drag the file into here.
Did you watch all of the Tutorials? Yes/No? Many common questions are answered immediately from the tutorials.
Did you read the FAQ? (Frequently Answered Questions) Yes/No?
Did you search the forum for your issue? Yes/No? Many times there has been several posts, literally within the same week of the same issue you’re having, searching may answer all of your questions immediately. If it did, tick the heart of the post that helped you. If you searched and found a post that matches what you’re experiencing reply to that topic and provide specifications to further aid in help.
Post Type. Try to determine if your topic is really a Bug or a Help Request. Shotcut is programmed a certain way. Various aesthetics are not the same with other programs. Just because it doesn’t perform the way you expect it to doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bug. If you’re a first time Shotcut user, the Help/How To option might be your best option to pick from. All posts have the same priority.
Provide steps that anyone could follow to recreate the problem. This is so very vital to getting the help you need. Here is an example. I’ll use a current known bug with 18.06.02. Visual waveform is not correctly displayed after one split, but does not affect exported file. (Pressing F5 fixes the issue. Issue is fixed for next release.)
- Open New Project with Shotcut 18.06.02
- Open MP4 file
- Drag from preview window to Timeline
- Show Audio Waveforms ON
- Split anywhere on the timeline
Follow up. If you solved your issue either on your own, or by someone’s response, please provide feedback by replying explained what worked for you, and mark the appropriate response as “Solved” so others can follow and learn.
Proper punctuation and grammar. Please try to use proper punctuation and grammar in this forum. Many times is very difficult to decipher what someone is trying to explain without it. This is an international forum as people are using Google Translate or some other type of translation software to learn how to work with Shotcut. I doubt misspelled words do not translate very well to other languages.