V18.10 BETA program and download

Introduction

Shotcut is now going to release a beta of the next monthly release to prevent the need to issue a sudden followup re-release and to prevent introducing a major regression.

Rules of Participation (Important)

• Provide all feedback as a reply within this thread or as a GitHub Issue.
  • If using a GitHub issue, make sure you indicate the version.
  • You can reference other threads from this thread, but do not confuse others by opening new posts/threads.
  • Do not report about existing bugs that have not been indicated as fixed by this version.
  • The beta period is only going to last 7 - 14 days.
  • We are only interested in major regressions over recent versions (v18.05 and newer).
  • We are also interested in major bugs in new features and changes specific to this release.
  • There will only be another beta released if there is a critical problem that needs confirmation from testers after the fix.
  • The actual release may add some low risk fixes and additions (e.g. new filter) over the beta.

Download

Get the beta release from this GitHub page that also includes the list of fixes, changes, and additions.
Linux AppImage, Snap, and Flatpak are not yet being offered in beta.

Thank You For Your Help!

5 Likes

Hi, I had to go back to shotcut-win32-180814 as the white balance filter resulted in a black screen on 180916.
Looking forward to next release
Hans Wrang
Spain

I’m hoping that we can post positive feedback here as well as bug reports?

If so, can I just say that the new “snap to grid” feature on the player is BRILLIANT! I’ve only been using it for a few minutes and I see great possibilities of using it with the size/position filter, and other filters as well. Wow! Also the list of new features is impressive! I like! Thank you @shotcut !

1 Like

Running on Debian Buster. See this possibly unusual activity in the logs (see attached).log.txt (6.6 KB)

This is when I open the file referenced on this post: Keyframed text filters not displayed after reloading project

I have no idea if the warnings in the log in any way relate to the keyframe issues I’m seeing or if it’s something new.

DLing it now. Looking forward to getting to grips with it tomorrow :slight_smile:

Shotcut v18.10 is much more powerful. I noticed that drag n drop file into playlist now superfast. And grid feature is awesome. Thank you Shotcut.
Here, I found some bugs in Shotcut v18.10

1. Fade in video from timeline is not working dynamically after changing fade in duration form keyframe.
  2. Search bar (filter chooser) is not working as smooth as search bar of recent panel and export panel.

Thank you again Shotcut.

Dan,

Are you currently doing any automated regression testing on builds (CI/CD)?

If not, would be interested in setting up an automated test script that I could run on new releases. Do you have a set of standard test cases that I should run?

Great app

Thanks
Mike

This is not a regression, that bug report has not yet been investigated, and messages like this frequently do appear in the logs like this under normal activity.

This is not a regression nor even really a bug. When you use the fade control on the timeline, it adds 2 fade filters - one for video and one for audio. At this point the fade triangle on the timeline reflects the duration of the audio fade (because audio tracks only get an audio fade filter). If you change duration of the video fade, you are not also changing the duration of the audio fade by design. Thus, the timeline fade triangle does not update since you have not changed the audio fade duration.

This is not a regression bug, and it may never be as fast as those.

No, there is no script, and it will take serious effort to develop something. Underlying layers of the software (libraries, MLT, FFmpeg, Qt) do have automated testing. If you are interested in volunteering to develop tests, then I suggest you take a look at the Qt Test framework.

I believe I found a major bug.

So I used 4K Video Downloader to download this movie off of youtube to experiment with some editing:

The rights holders of the movie uploaded it for free on youtube so it’s not pirated in case anyone was wondering.

I downloaded it using 4K Video Downloader as an mp4 file with 480p resolution. The file is 437 mb. When I imported it into the 18.10.01 beta the picture in the preview window came out totally screwed up. The video’s colors were all over the place and it’s also a double image. It’s like a split screen with the same image on both sides and it’s the image is completely distorted. I then installed back the previous version (18.09.16) and the same video this time played fine. Interestingly, downloading it with 4K Video Downloader as a 360p file played fine on this beta but not the 480p one.

I wanted to see if I can find another video with this same problem and I happened upon this old school Coolio rap music video on youtube from the official channel:

I also used 4K Video Downloader and downloaded it as 480p and 360p as both mp4 and mkv and all of the problems as the above 480p file were reproduced. Also as with the above I reinstalled version 18.09.16 and like before the files played just fine in the preview window.

I should note that if you try to reproduce this make sure that you restart Shotcut with every file you test. Don’t take a file out of the playlist and put another one in to test in the same session.

I’m on Windows 10 and I used the installer version of this beta.

1 Like

I was about to post this as a new thread but will post it here.

9 bugs found in 18.10.01 beta

(1) The previous audio distortion regression fix hasn’t solved (1) in this thread:

In addition to the more precise way to reproduce this hang here:

There are 2 other ways to encounter the hang:

1. Open a file.
  2. Change the bit depth and sample rate from Windows’ Sounds dialog.
  3. Change the video mode twice. HD1080p 60fps → HD1080p 30fps → HD1080p 60fps, for example.
  4. Wait 6 seconds.
  5. Click anywhere in Shotcut.
  6. Shotcut hangs.

or

1. Open a file.
  2. Change the bit depth and sample rate from Windows’ Sounds dialog.
  3. Change the audio channel twice. Stereo → Mono → Stereo, for example.
  4. Wait 6 seconds.
  5. Click anywhere in Shotcut.
  6. Shotcut hangs.

(2) Video preview in the player is distorted under a custom video mode whose width is nondivisible by 8

I’m experiencing the exact same issue @DRM did, but in a slightly different way. It has all to do with video modes and their widths. The width of 480p is 858, which is not a multiple of 8.

(3) Changing the audio channel from stereo → mono → stereo introduces noise from the right speaker.

Simply changing stereo to 5.1 introduces noise from both speakers.
Neither of them occurs if I stop the playback of the video and change the channel. They only occur when I let the audio keep playing and change the channel.

(4) Dragging one of the Simple Keyframe handles somewhere in the middle and back to 00:00 switches the keyframe mode to Advanced.

Only happens with the Size and Position filter, Text filter, and Rotation and Scale filter.
Continuing to drag the handle somewhere in the middle switches the mode back to Simple.

(5) Snapping the video in the middle sets y to -1 and adds 2 pixels to the heigh depending on the width of Shotcut’s window

Every time I change Shotcut’s window’s width by 1 pixel, the Size and Position shows different parameters after I move the video around and snap it to the middle cross in the 2x2 grid. Ones with x, y, width, and height unchanged and ones with -1 subtracted from y and 2 added to the height.

Presumably, the odd or even width of Shotcut window affects it.

Also happens with the 4x4 grid and 16x16 grid.
Potentially only applicable in the Windows version.

(6) Snapping the right edge and bottom edge of a video onto the vertical grid line and horizontal grid line are too sticky in the 2x2 grid mode.

Or, in other words, moving the center circle beyond the left edge or top edge of the player screen is too difficult.
If grid snapping is off, moving beyond these edges is easy.

Also happens with the 3x3 grid, 4x4 grid, and 16x16 grid. With 16x16 though, it’s less noticeable and pronounced.

(7) Resetting the position and size doesn’t change the parameter numbers shown in the Size and Position pane.

Reset buttons on x, y, width, and height does reset the image position and size on the player, but the numbers shown on the Size and Position pane doesn’t reset.

(8) (4) in this thread has been fixed, but there is still another way to cause the exact same issue:

It still takes 3 clicks on the Advanced Keyframe button in the Size and Position filter to open and close the Advanced keyframe area if it’s done immediately after applying the filter, without moving either of simple keyframe handles.

Shotcut tends to crash after I close the Advanced keyframe by clicking the button 3 times, just like (5) in that thread.

(9) (5) in this thread has improved with the degree label:

However, the masked image is still titled at 179.9 and -179.9 degrees.
They are least tilted when the rotation is 179.5, 179.6, -179.5, or -179.6 degree, but still appear to be tilted.

1 Like

Again, I am unable to reproduce that crash. So, it is not fixed.

There are 2 other ways to encounter the hang:

I do not reproduce these either. We use a library called SDL for cross-platform audio output, and it hides a lot of the audio handling. Maybe eventually it will get replaced but not in the near term, and likely its replacement will have bugs too especially depending on OS, driver, and hardware as we may be experiencing here.

(2) Video preview in the player is distorted under a custom video mode whose width is nondivisible by 8

I reproduce this, and it appears to be a preview bug as playing the exported result looks fine. I will see what I can do.

(3) Changing the audio channel from stereo -> mono -> stereo introduces noise from the right speaker.

Unable to reproduce. Are these regressions for you? If so, these are less severe issues than the main regression that appears in 18.09.16.

(4) Dragging one of the Simple Keyframe handles somewhere in the middle and back to 00:00 switches the keyframe mode to Advanced.

Reproduced, and I will try to address.

(5) Snapping the video in the middle sets y to -1 and adds 2 pixels to the heigh depending on the width of Shotcut’s window

Not major and will not be addressed at this time.

(6) Snapping… too sticky

Not major, subjective, and will not be addressed.

(7) Resetting the position and size doesn’t change the parameter numbers shown in the Size and Position pane.

Reproduced and will address.

It still takes 3 clicks on the Advanced Keyframe button in the Size and Position filter… Shotcut tends to crash

Reproduced and will address.

However, the masked image is still titled at 179.9 and -179.9 degrees.

I already explained that this will not be fixed. The range is reduced from 180 to make it more clear that you cannot go to 180 and get an untilted mask. If you want untilted, use 0. If you want an upside triangle, you must live with the slight shortcoming.

OK, I see now. The bug is that the mouse needs to reach all the way to the next snapping point instead of merely exceeding the threshold on the top and and left edges.

@brian can you please take a look at this one? Also, it would be nice if the grid lines extend beyond the active video area to the edges of the player when zoom level makes the active video area smaller than the player. Because these are hidden snapping points that are actually useful.

THANK YOU - THE BETA PROCESS IS PROVING EFFECTIVE

I am so glad the video preview bug (2) surfaced while in beta. I fixed it, and thankfully it was a simple, ultra-low impact, one-line of code fix - that took a few hours to figure out!
I also fixed (4), (7), and both parts of (8) today.

1 Like

If it’s possible, a snapping grid of 64x64 or even 128x128 would be very useful to me for precise positioning of clips with size/position filter added.

Minor bug. When saving a Text preset with text, the text is not saved in the preset. When the preset is applied it defaults to displaying the time code.

From a performance standpoint I ran it through the same tests we were looking at the other day @shotcut and I’m happy to say that I’m not seeing any new slowdowns in fact the x264 exports are a bit quicker

You’re welcome, Dan. :slight_smile: I’m glad that you took the suggestion of adding a testing stage to the development process. I anticipate that this will help close much of the endless loop of constant bugs and instability in the (official) monthly releases that has been noted before.

I just want to elaborate a little about my comment here about the preview window bug because I don’t know if how I wrote it was clear enough. I said that the 480p version of the movie played badly but that the 360p version was fine. However, both the 480p and the 360p versions of the music video played badly. @TRA noted that it was about width that wasn’t divisible by 8. While that would make sense with why both 480p videos weren’t playing I don’t understand why with one video the 360p would play fine but in the other it did not. In any case, hopefully you got all of that totally covered in your fix.

This is a regression since v18.07 when keyframes were introduced for Text filter. I fixed it for the next release.