V21.02 BETA is now available to test

Purpose

The main purpose of the 21.02 release is to address the new problems that resulted from the major under-the-hood changes in the previous version v21.01.29.

Rules of Participation (Important)

• This beta will not be a general bug-fixing period. Only critical bugs and regressions since version v20.11.27 will be addressed.
  • Do not report about existing bugs that have not been indicated as fixed by this version.
  • The beta period will end by February 26 (but possibly sooner).
  • Provide all feedback as a reply within this thread or as a GitHub Issue.
    If using a GitHub issue, make sure you indicate the version.

Download

Get the beta release from this GitHub page that also includes the list of fixes, changes, and additions.

Thank You For Your Help!

4 Likes

Took a quick look at it and wanted to say nice work on the multi-file export naming feature @brian. :slightly_smiling_face: I was going to ask after you added it if you can include the hash code as an option but you had thought of it already and included it so that’s great!

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure what changed (possibly related to this * Fixed seeking video in some files particularly AVCHD (broke in v21.01). although I wasn’t working with AVCHD at the moment) but the performance issues I saw in 21.01.29 are gone

1 Like

After one hour of testing, 21.02.15 looks good.

• MTS file white-screen problem CANNOT be replicated as in 21.01 :grin: :grin: :grin:
  • Exporting MTS to MP4 after Split/Removes of beginning and end yields clean file; no white frames. :grin: :grin: :grin:
  • The time markers bar is always on top, even when I scroll down many tracks. :grin: :grin: :grin:
  • The timeline time slider stays below the tracks; no interference. :grin: :grin: :grin:
  • The timeline slider never is ambiguous with the track scroll bar. :grin: :grin: :grin:
  • There is a clearly defined and obvious place to click a new playhead position on the Timeline. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I am very happy with this version; all of my problems with 21.01.29 seem to be resolved.

FYI, I did get a black frame at the end when splitting off the ends of three MTS files simultaneously after time-synchronizing them; I suspect this is inherent, and that (like land wars in Asia and feeding gremlins after midnight) splitting multiple MTS files simultaneously is always something best to be avoided. Convert to mp4 first.
This is very similar to the problem in…

1 Like

Five hours of continuous use later, 21.02.15 is still looking good.

• Reproduced the sequence which caused the loss of Keyframes on the Gain-Volume filter. Keframes stayed, as they should. :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • Reproduced the sequence which had caused a shift in the next clip when two clips were rejoined with Merge to Next Clip. The Unjoined next clip stayed in its proper place. :smile: :smile: :smile:
1 Like

@shotcut, the windows 64-bit zipped portable beta won’t open for me. SC logo appears briefly, then disappears. The egg-timer then appears, then nothing.

A tiny quibble…

• Fixed difficult to enter some numbers in various filter numeric fields (broke in v21.01).

There is now an inconsistency in how numeric entry is handled, between the Fade Out Video etc filters, and the Playhead position time (under the Preview window).

In the Playhead position, I can select one digit, two digits, as many as I want to change, using a mouse drag over the digits with mouse-key pressed. However, double clicking only gives me all or none.

In the Fade Out filter, mouse drag won’t highlight digits for change. But I can get any two-digit set (frames, seconds,…) with a double-click.

Single click, backspace-erase, replace works for both.

I did notice a (small) amount of ui lag(that I would’t have noticed if I wasn’t poking and prodding at it), is the beta compiled as a debug release?

One kind of lag that is very noticeable to me, that I don’t think I have seen in previous releases…

I have a semi-standard “branding” sequence, that is spliced in about a minute into each video. This must then be customized with the video title. To position this correctly, I need to drag a clip until I can just barely see the next fade transition at the playhead, watching the preview.

Now, when dragging, I may see the faint fade beginning, so I pause my dragging, nothing is changing, it is the right spot, I release the clip… …“Oh, I wasn’t there yet” says Shotcut, as it suddenly displays the fully visible logo. I am about 17 frames from where I should be.

I do not reproduce it - neither between these two places nor between versions when compared with v20.11 nor between OSes. Double-click in either of these does not select all. A single-click initially to give focus does. Double-click selects one field of the time by design. I can drag select any portion of the time.

It is working for me on my two Windows systems. I think a few others here are using it successfully as well.

Thanks. Strange, I had a chance to try it on my laptop just now and it opened OK. I’ll try again on my desktop later and see if it works.

For me it opens fine on W10 and I also have no problem on the Linux Appimage version.

I saw the release notes and noticed an update to the Jack Audio library for Windows.
Then I remembered the Jack Audio issue on Linux (in my case Ubuntu Studio). I had hoped that somehow the audio meter issue included in Shotcut would work correctly when enabling JackAudio in Ubuntu, but the same behaviour still breaks the audio monitoring from Shotcut.
In any case, thanks for all the new improvements and updates. :+1:

• Yes. My mistake; writing from memory, and not really focused on double click, but on drag, I confused those two.

• Going back to retest today (checking maybe a Kubuntu 18.04 temporarily glitch), I found it is inconsistent. Sometimes I can drag-select, and sometimes I cannot.

Screen capture video of inconsistent drag-over-digits

(The white brackets “][” while dragging are an artifact of the screen capture program; they do not appear to me live.)

I would begin to believe it was a dying mouse, but many retests show the erratic behavior only in the filter window and not in the preview window.

Working hypothesis:

1. These actions, at the lowest level must rely on the underlying OS.
  2. Filter and Preview may be making similar but subtly different calls on the OS.
  3. Only the path Fade Out Video uses finds its way to a broken spot in Kubuntu.

Looks like my SP&R issues have been fixed and seems snappier

I thought I had found another bug…

…then I discovered that I had accidentally opened Shotcut twice simultaneously.

(FYI, doing that makes audio waveforms disappear.)

I find things because I am using it continuously.

I like Shotcut 21.02.15beta so much that I have changed my desktop defaults to always open .mlt files with this version.

I’ll second that, that’s what I tested with.

I also had this happen to me. I re-downloaded the file, extracted it and now it works.

1 Like