50 MOV videos to MP4

Hi, thank you for your help.
I am trying to use the upload shrink web version as much as possible because it is only select files and then download all after the conversion.
I still hope that the feature will be added to Shotcut at some point in time.
Thank you.

1 Like

Hi jonray,
Well after some serious RSI attacks I started learning hotkey.
I will be honest at first programming hotkey seemed very difficult for me that is why I did not feel likle doing it.
I have a lot of zipfiles so I unzip all hundreds at once in their own directory with 7-zip using the option
extract to “*”
This creates a folder for each movie clip with the name of the zipfile.
Example: “handsome-man-chopping-vegetables-ER3VY5T” folder with a file on there named “229432.mov”. Now I need to remane the file in the folder with the same name that the zipfile and thus the folder is.
I manually type: F2, Crtl+C, enter, enter, Up arrow (to select the file in the folder) , F2, Crtl+V, enter, Alt+ Left arrow (folder back), arrow down (select the next folder).
Doing that litterally a hundred times in a row is not good for my hands and fingers.

So I started with hotkey and came up with this series of commands:

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

#z::
send, {f2}

send, {ctrl down}c{ctrl up}

send, {enter}

send, {enter}

MsgBox, doing up now

send, {Up}

send, {f2}

send, {ctrl down}v{ctrl up}

send, {enter}

send, {alt down}Left{alt up}

send, {down}

MsgBox, done

return

The only thing that the script doesn not do is select the file in the folder and thus the renaming does not work… If I do it by hand the arrow up does slect the only file in that folder. Any idea what command to use to select the only file in the folder? (Sorry a bit off topic maybe)

I also tried autoscriptwriter to record your keystrokes and replay them but could not find it.

1 Like

Ah used some mouse buttons and some clicks on a position and now it works well. Needs some refinement. Thank you very much for the tip!
#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

#z::

send, {f2}

sleep, 100

send, {ctrl down}c{ctrl up}

sleep, 100

send, {enter}

send, {enter}

sleep, 500

click,784,342

sleep, 500

send, {f2}

sleep, 500

send, {ctrl down}v{ctrl up}

sleep, 500

send, {enter}

sleep, 100

send, {XButton1}

sleep, 100

send, {down}

1 Like

@miltloos1, sorry, I didn’t see your post until just now. (Tip- if you add @jonray to the post I get a little alert by my name icon at the top of the Shotcut forum page so I know there’s a post I should view).
Anyway I’m delighted that you have been using Auto HotKey. I use it often. In fact if you search this forum for the term Auto Hotkey you might like to see a few uses for it which I suggest for operations within Shotcut.

@miltloos1 - I also made this tutorial which uses Auto HotKey whch you might find interesting … :smile::

@miltloos1 -Just a few extra AHK code entries you may find useful. Add to the to the head of your AHK script:
Values below are examples.
SetKeyDelay,50
This slows down the keypresses. Very useful to stop AHK going faster than the program can handle.

SetDefaultMouseSpeed, 8
This alters the speed of the mouse movement. A value of say 4 makes it go slower which can be useful.

CoordMode, mouse, screen (or CoordMode, mouse, relative)
If you use mouse coordinates this makes them relative to the edge of you screen, or relative to the edges of the window you’re in. Can be useful.

PS You could always also use the LOOP feature, example
Loop, 3 {

}

(Whatever code you put inside the curly brackets will be repeated 3 times.) Just an idea.

Hi Johnray,

I create my own voiceovers with speechelo.com ai from text.
And for ai auto generated subtitles I use veed.io
Most of my effects I do with Adobe after effects.

I started using Wondershare UniConverter to convert 300 MOV to Mp4 at once keeping the names.
Works well a few errors but just press the button again and it works fine.

Thanks for the tips! @jonray

1 Like

Hey @miltloos @miltloos1
Can I suggest an alternative solution, sort of because I did it yesterday and it worked flawlessly.

If you can take the burden of installing ffmpeg onto your pc, then you should proceed below.

So I have a Windows 10 64bit system, and I wanted to compress a lot of my project files into manageably-sized formats. Hence, I installed ffmpeg into my system.

I put all my video files into a folder, and named the folder “Project files” and created another folder within the same directory. Next I clicked on the address bar of windows explorer and typed cmd, pressed enter.
The command prompt window opened, I typed the below code into it:
for %i in (*. mp4) do ffmpeg -i %i -c:v libx265 -c:a copy “C:\Project Files\Files\%~ni.mp4”
And pressed enter. After a couple of hours the conversion was done. The sizes reduced from 2.2GB to 400MB and the names remained the same as the original files. This was my use case.

In your case, you can do the same just change the command as:
for %i in (*.mov) do ffmpeg -i %i -c:v [libx265 or libx264 (libx265 yeilds smaller sizes than linx264)] -c:a copy “address of a different folder than source folder\%~ni.mp4”

If you’re interested, I’ll send a link to a website where I read how to install ffmpeg or you can do it yourself.

I’ll be waiting for your response!

Hi, thanks for the suggestions but I have a working solution now so no need for more help on MOV to MP4. I just did another 129 files no problems at all.
Thank you all!

1 Like

Now that miltloos’s immediate prooblem has found a solution, I would like to defer back to @brian’s thoughts on implementing a true batch export feature, maintainig original file names.
I am also very interested in this feature - actually I was surprised that this was not possible. Way back last year, when I ran into the challenge of converting some 50 *.avi files to *.mp4 I found Handbrake a nice solution.

1 Like

I have added this to my “todo” list and already have some work in progress. It will not be in the next release. But possibly the one after.

2 Likes

@brian thanks, good luck!

Thanks @brian - appreciate your repsonsiveness.

I was directed to this thread by @Hudson555x from https://forum.shotcut.org/t/export-individual-playlist-names/23643. This discussion is exactly what i was looking for. I have digitized many VHS tapes and i am using Shotcut to manually cut them into scenes (PyScenedetect isn’t working well for me :frowning_face:). I have named each clip and added it to the playlist. For now, I use the export “Each Playlist Item” option and then sequentially copy the clip name from the .mlt file in notepad. It would be fantastic to have an option to name the exported file with the clip name. I have also used the “Set Creation Time” option, can that be used for the “Date created” parameter of the exported file? Thank you so much for all the hard work @brian, great program!

1 Like

Shotcut includes ffmpeg. If you install Shotcut, you would find it in:
C:\Program Files\Shotcut\ffmpeg.exe
It is also in the portable zip.

1 Like

I have recently become aware of a separate freeware piece of software, called Shutter Encoder, which could probably batch process MOV files to MP4 as several have requested, leaving the original filename intact. I have only kicked the tires on this program a little but, but others have touted it as a suitable replacement for Handbrake.

@miltloos @miltloos1 @mrunivar
The latest released beta includes the multi-file name feature that was discussed here. Please go to the thread, download the beta to test out the feature and give your feedback on it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not to distract from the excellent functions and ever improving features in Shotcut. But I used “Any video converter” (free version) to batch convert all of my various formats to MP4, quick clean and let you maintain as original or reset most anything, codec framerates bitrates etc to your preference. All files compacted consistent and ready to edit in shotcut!

https://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.