How to create a keyframe in a clip

Maybe this thread should be classified in “help/how to”, but I have not found a simple way.
Here is an example :

I want to create a keyframe in a clip exactly here (1),
at the precise time of 10;00 (2)
This keyframe must have the same position value (357,686) than the previous one (3)

To date, to do this, I have found no other way than:

• Set the playhead to 10; 00
  • Change the value from 357 to 350 which will create the new keyframe
  • Then put 357 again instead of 350
    There may be another simpler method, but I have not found …

So I suggest, if it was possible to add a button (+ for example) to this place on the next picture to do this.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know of another way either. Instead of a button though it would be better I think to have it as an option when you right click on the Keyframe timeline. That way you don’t have to swing the mouse to the other side to add the keyframe. You’ll be right there adding it in the same spot where you want it.

1 Like

I do this by JUST clicking the circle in the middle of the size and position box.

This will create a new point in keyframes which will be identical to the previous one.

2 Likes

I knew I was missing something. :smile: Good catch, @scellycraftyt.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a possibility that would suit me too

It is a solution for some filters. But for others such as “audio level”?

good point…

maybe you could just change the volume slider and then enter in the original value again to add a point.

For filters with slider controls if you need to repeat an exact key frame value you can seek to the key frame you want to repeat. Then go to the position where you want the new key frame, roll the scroll wheel up and back again. This repeats the exact key frame at the new point.

+1 for this suggestion. I mentioned something similar here:

…but alas got no replies …:unamused:

Two great workarounds which I hadn’t thought of - thanks!!

Yes, it’s a workaround, but after a few tries she did not convince me. It sometimes happens that this manipulation creates 2 keyframes, one when I turn the wheel up and the other when I turn the wheel down.
I would prefer the suggestion of DRM

Suit yourself. I always get 1 key frame with this method. Always.

here is an example
On these screenshots we can see by zooming in that some keyframes are double.
It’s not always, and I do not know why.

Moving the playhead will give you another keyframe as shown in your 2nd picture.

As @sauron states, and I concur, you only get 1 keyframe when scrolling.

What do you think about the suggestion before I gave about adding an option for these situations through right clicking on the Advanced Keyframe timeline?

I think it’s a good suggestion.
But in the meantime there are work around’s that work.:smile:

I’m currently working on a video editing, it is true that it is possible to use the technique of @sauron, it works in the majority of cases, but I still say that it is not very practical.
And why not a keyboard shortcut on a key not yet used?

I’m sorry to insist, but I have a lot of trouble using keyframes right now. Mainly with the creation of 2 keyframes side by side as I explained in the post 10.
So I decided to try to edit the ParameterHead.qml file in the folder
Shotcut.app/Contents/Resources/shotcut/qml/views/keyframes/ParameterHead.qml

I am currently arriving at the following result.

I added a button “+” which is supposed to create a keyframe on the parameter concerned at the location of the playhead.
In this image, the “+” buttons of the 2 parameters are enabled because there is no keyframe at the location of the playhead.
The “-” buttons are the equivalent of the current trash, I just changed the icon for the look. They are disabled because there is no keyframe selected.

In this image, the “+” button of “Input black” is enabled (there is no keyframe) and the “-” button of “Input white” is enabled (the keyframe is selected)

In this one the “+” buttons of the 2 parameters are disabled because there is a keyframe at the location of the playhead.

Here is a copy of the modified file.
ParameterHead.txt (7.6 KB)

Unfortunately, my lack of knowledge prevents me to go further, I can not find the code needed to create the keyframe when clicking on the button “+”

That’s why if a developer could help me to complete line 138, I would be very grateful to him.
I must also modify line 132 to disable the “+” button if a keyframe is already present.

I hope that translation gogole allows you to understand me

Hi @namna, personally I like your idea of having “+” and “-” signs for the keyframes. It would be really intuitive for new and inexperienced users IMHO. Sorry, can’t help with the coding, though - I have no experience with this type of coding.

I will try to pick this up, but I am leaning toward a UI that uses a single stopwatch icon (same as used in filter Ui) that toggles add/remove keyframe.

Thanks for considering it!