Shotcut is running very slowly (with Grammarly)

Hi,

So I was here few months ago with Shotcut suddenly being slow. I figured that eventually (something to do with broken registry and I have no idea how I did it but I did fix it)

Now I have moved to Windows 11 and found that Shotcut is running slow. Again. I literally could not edit anything. I couldn’t even navigate menu without delays.

PC spec is fine. 3700x, shouldn’t have problem editing 5min video at 1080p.
I recently swapped out all but my old gpu.
Win11 is fresh install.
I even re-installed various versions of Shotcut

So what causes shotcut to be so slow that I can’t even navigate menu without even opening a project??

Turns out I had Grammarly add-on. Even though this was turned off while using Shotcut. So exit this one, then suddenly everything is fast again!

My question is: why?

Both my CPU & GPU didn’t struggle at all. CPU load was barely 10%.
and Grammarly isn’t exactly heavy.

btw, I’m not sure if this happens with anything else but seems like Shotcut is fine for now. just weird such conflict exists.

2 Likes

Can you clarify this? Do you have a Grammarly plugin for your browser? Or have you installed “Grammarly for Windows”?

I have not used Grammarly. I wonder if it hooks into applications to intercept the text in order to analyze it.

2 Likes

I did use grammarly, it doesn’t work stable for any app on my pc. So I uninstalled it.

I don’t usually install a spell checker, because the originals on its apps are fine and stable. Otherwise 3rd party apps don’t know what app you are using, and don’t make it stable to that.

1 Like

It was Grammarly for windows. I didn’t test with chrome extensions since i didn’t install one

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. I do not know why Grammarly would make Shotcut slow, but it is a very good thing to know. This may affect other users.

1 Like

@Whispers - Oh my goodness, it’s just happened to me - so I was working on a project on my laptop. All fine - then I transferred to my Desktop (having copied all project files across to the equivalent locations on my desktop). Shotcut ran VERY slowly … delays with almost every click of the mouse or navigation. Unusable.
Then I remembered your post, and stopped Grammarly via Task manager.
Shotcut began working at full speed again.
@whispers - thank you so much for your post - it’s saved me potentially hours of head-scratching. I owe you a beer… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I had the same problem. As soon as I turned off Grammarly it started working. Thanks mate!