Cropping a video

Hello,
Making a crop on part of a video,
how do I keep the 16:9 resolution ?
And then, how to export the cropped part into a full sized video, say 1280 x 720.
Answers will be appreciated.
Thanks
Motim
Shotcut 22.06.23

Hi @Motim

Set the video mode when you start the project:

If you are planning on exporting at 1280x720 with a crop I presume the original video is at least 1920x1080? Since you mentioned 1280x720, choose something like non-broadcast - > HD 720P 30fps. Add your original video to the timeline and apply a size,position & rotate filter. Use Zoom if required, and position according to how you want the video/crop on screen.

Since this is very simple stuff, I’d suggest you do some introductory tutorials to improve your understanding. There are plenty here and on YouTube, and in the long run taking a single hour to help understand the basics will save you time and frustration down the track. My 2c.

Edit: Here’s a YT video that does something like your request:

A good basic intro to Shotcut if it’s all you have time for:

But here is where I’d start if I had longer, and I’d just work through them:

2 Likes

In addition to what @PoisonedSlice points out with the Video Mode settings, once you make the Video Mode setting of your choosing, there is nothing to modify or change in the Export → Advanced settings. You would use one of the Crop filters or Size, Position & Rotate filters to crop the video exactly how you want it.

1 Like

Hello,
Thanks for all the answers.
But I think I was not answered how do I maintain a 16:9 resolution when I make the crop on the viewer screen.
Or did I missed something ?
Answers will be appreciated.
Thanks
Motim

The 16:9 aspect ratio is set by the Video Mode. The Crop filters and the Size, Position, Rotate filter cannot change the overall aspect ratio of the video. So long as the Video Mode is 16:9, the entire exported video will be 16:9.

I suggest after using a 16:9 video mode to use the Size, Position & Rotate filter instead of a Crop filter. Then, you can use the Zoom and Position parameters to fill the frame choose the subject.

Yep, already done in post 2!

But I neglected to make any mention of export, which may be why there was some confusion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.