Your YouTubeChannel - Follow-On

Welcome to the Shotcut Forum. You’ll find the the members here are very helpful in helping “newbies” with problems they encounter. Good luck and please let us know when you start putting videos on your Youtube channel that you have edited with Shotcut.

Made with Shotcut beta 19.04. Used almost all the new stock filters, and a few of the user contributed ones.

Per @ejmillan’s post a list of the filters used.

Filters and track layout.

1st sequence used Sobel Softglow filters.
2nd sequence used Sigmoidal Transfer Distort filter for the transition.
3rd sequence used Binarize Chromakey filters. OHtml with CrossZoom for transition.
4th and 5th sequence Sketch filter. OHtml with Morph for transition.
6th and 7th sequence Glitch filter for the transition. OHtml with Cross Warp for transition to sequence 8.
8th sequence Sobel filter.
9th sequence RGB shift filter for the transition.
10th sequence IIR blur filter for the transition.
11th sequence Levels filter for the transition.
12th and 13th sequence S&P filter for the transition. OHtml with Morph for transition to sequence 14.
14th sequence Sigmoidal Transfer. Ohtml with Mosaic for transition.
15th sequence no filter.
16th sequence Emboss and Sobel filters. OHtml with Water Drop for transition.
17th sequence Levels filter for the transition.
18th sequence Sobel and Color grading filters.
19th sequence no filters. Fade to white.

Used the opacity filter on almost all the images to control the blending, transitions, etc.

Audio Dance, Light, and Spectrum Visualization filters used to finish the project.

10 Likes

It would be a good idea to include the names of the filters used in each sequence.
This would be useful for users to see the possibilities and utilities of the available filters.
Anyway, thanks for sharing this.:grin:

1 Like

Nice one, @sauron! Super cool - and super scary!! I gave it a like :grinning::+1:
Did I notice a few of @elusin’s transitions? Also can I ask how you did the transition at 2:58 where the screen flashed white?

Yes indeed. Used cross zoom, morph, crosswarp, mosaic and water drop. Also used the distort filter, RGB shift, and glitch.

Used the levels filter. Key framed to start at default of 255 end at 0 at the end of the clip. No transition just a straight cut.

Iron Maiden’s always been a scary band.:smile:

Thanks, @sauron. Reminds me of the thread about the “whoof” transition a year or two back.
https://forum.shotcut.org/t/whoof-transition-does-it-have-a-proper-name/5047
Remember that?:laughing:

Scary images too!! :scream::scream:

Thanks for adding this information.

I have many things in my head and little time, so this list will help me a lot as a guide and guidance for my future projects.

This is my problem exactly, too!! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Hi everybody - my first post on Shotcut forum :slight_smile:

To introduce myself: I started to make some amateur video editing, in my free time, using Adobe Premiere, about 15 years ago, then about 10 years ago I took a looooong break. Somewhere in January this year I discovered Shotcut and I truly enjoyed it, so thanks to it I started to do again my old hobby. I didn’t make too many clips since then, so I will present the one I considered to be my best: it’s called “Resurrection”, it’s a “tribute to”, and I spent two weeks to put together a comprehensive, head-tail six-mins story. I really hope you will enjoy it - I tried to be a good story-teller and to build a proper suspense and plot :slight_smile:

I have to say that Shotcut 19.02.28 was a really breakthru in terms of performance. I had/have another project in work, it’s few minutes shy of 10 hours length, it takes about 9GBbytes RAM when working on it but, to my very pleasant surprise, Shotcut (alongside with my PC) performed admirably! Rendering with 1280x720x23.976fps with hardware GeForce 1070’s H264 ist taking only a bit more that 2 hours, which is brilliant.
Btw, it there any way to count how many video/audio “fragments” and filters a project uses, except by opening the .mlt with a text editor and counting specific tags? I mean, some sort of project stats?
Thanks a lot to Shotcut dev team, great product!

8 Likes

Not that I know of but you could export an edl, then open it in a text editor.
The first column has a running total.

48%20PM

2 Likes

Thanks Paul!
So, basically, still the text editor is the solution. Me I looked in the .mlt for opening tags
<producer id="producer
which - for that 10hr project - I have 1966 occurences :open_mouth:

One more thing: browsing the forum, I’ve observed @Elusien is a member (I should have expected!) to whom I owe a big, special thanks for his JS and tutorials about how to create nice rolling credits in Shotcut, so I post below an older clip to show the result.

I’m not a big fan of visible ostensible use of filters, rather I prefer to use them discretely in order to enhance the story. From this point of view, this clip is the most “filtered” to-date: alongside slo-mo, fade-in/out, dissolve, HSL adjustments, overlay text, there is:

• old-movie effect, at 1:33; tried to create the 1920’s, manual cranking movie look from a “making of” with the writer’s room clip: so alongside the old movie effects combined, the clip is also a bit sped-up, a bit blurred, reduced contrast, applied an white alpha overlay, together with a sepia tone.

• scrolling credits over slideshow at 2:26: here I made a dissolve slideshow where images are a bit glowed, darkened, aligned to the left and a vignette applied in order not only to create a Rembrandt-esque dark look, but also to make room on right for Elusien rolling credits.
    Bottom line, I really liked how the ending got. Like in “resurrection” above, the YouTube subtitles (CC) I made them using SubtitleWorkshop.

Again, thanks a lot - to both Shotcut devs and Elusien!

4 Likes

I like what you did with the filters - subtle yet effective.

Thanks for your comments. I spend more time these days “adding value” to Shotcut, with filters and frameworks, than actually using it to edit videos! :grinning:

It’s great to be able to use my rusty old programming skills to produce something that is useful to so many people - glad to hear you are one of them. It has given me something to do here in Cyprus while waiting for the rain to stop - wettest winter in 100 years but summer is finally here!

1 Like

It’s too bad the PTB at Fox cancelled the show. TSCC was a fine show.

1 Like

Long may it continue, @elusien! Keep 'em coming!

Really nice scrolling credits, @AmperSand. Good work…

1 Like

Hello “Shotcutters”,

I began to create Tutorials for German users, because german and new Tutorials of SHOTCUT are very rare, especially for the nowerly latest Version in 2019.

Enjoy and hang on! :wink:

2 Likes

Nice thread, definetly checking out some channels! I have two myself, one focused on selfimprovement: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1mDSd6H-CUI8OphbSaPuA

And a reddit channel (my latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt0H1Gd3Mo0)

Would love if anyone cared to check me out! :smiley:

Hey everyone :smile: !
I uploaded my newest two videos and think I am ready to introduce my channel:

The first ones were rather a test because i started video and audio editing two months ago, so really a newbie.
My content is about educational and/or political topics and I am doing rather extensive research beforehand.
Depending on the topic I am creating two language versions, namely English and Swiss German.
I am really thankful for the developers and the helpful community around Shotcut - I don’t think I would be able to get to this level without all the tips and tutorials.

3 Likes

Oh, wow, it’s a great short! Very good work, congrats!

1 Like

Because somebody asked me by PM how I counted the occurences in Notepad, here is the explanation, in case it’s useful:

First, I didn’t use the native Notepad, but the more powerful freeware Notepad++.
There, since even Notepad++ doesn’t provide the occurence count of a highlighed term, I used the “replace” trick:

• press Ctrl+H to open the Replace dialog
  • in “Find what:” paste <producer id="producer
  • in “Replace with:” type anything you want (or leave it empty, doesn’t matter)
  • check “Match case” and “Wrap around” checkboxes
  • press “Replace All” button:
  • in the dialog’s status bar you’ll see: “Replace All: xxx occurences were replaced

Important is to undo after that - or don’t save or, better, work on a copy of .mlt.
Hope it helps.