What can I do to speed up Timeline editing operations: zoom and movement?

I’ve just edited my first video with Shotcut. It went well, but two things surprised me: it’s quite sluggish when zooming the timeline or going back one second. The “go back one second” (with the keyboard shortcut) is especially frustrating because I might hit the PageUp key six times but it looks like some of those hits are being dropped because it doesn’t go back six seconds.

I was editing a two-track timeline: one track with video and audio straight off a camera, video was H.246 and audio was 16-bit PCM. The second track was audio off a phone and converted to a .mkv file, 32-bit floating-point PCM.

I’d like to know what, if anything, I can do to make Shotcut more responsive to zoom and movement, especially that “go back one second” key. Should I be using different video or audio formats? I would hate to incur the loss imposed by an extra conversion pass on the audio, but if I can speed up my editing process significantly, it would be worth it.

Proxy Editing is one way to go (a feature in the next version of Shotcut - v20-06). See

https://forum.shotcut.org/t/v20-06-beta-2-is-available/18760/78

Preview scaling is also an option. See:

Also, seeking can be better if you convert your video to edit-friendly beforehand. Look at Convert → Edit-Friendly in “Properties”

How long does your timeline run for?

Timeline started at about 11:30, got edited down to 9:30.

Thanks. Looks like I can try proxy editing without waiting for the next version: How to "proxy" edit with Shotcut

I’ll try the other settings, too.

The next version 20.06.28 with working proxy editing is already available.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.