V20.06 BETA 2 is available

It does not produce a proxy when added to the playlist, but I see it does now when added to timeline.

Hello again:
I set it to Proxy-adjustment-storage. I set a different folder for storing proxy files than the default one (I called it Orphans Proxy) so that all proxy files generated without a saved project are stored there.
Then I opened SC (without assigning a project) and dragged a video into the playlist. SC created a proxy file of the video and since there is no associated project it saved that file to the “Orphans Proxy” folder. So far so good.
I then deleted the file from the playlist and closed SC without saving the project. The proxy file remains in the folder I created. Shouldn’t this proxy file be deleted automatically or a dialog appears asking what to do with the generated proxy files?
My problem with my previous SSD was a small size and that it quickly filled up with the default installations to C: of many programs and the creation of hidden folders. The default folder for proxy storage without a project is in one of those hidden C folders: (unless the user chooses another folder more convenient for him)
Is there a way to delete the proxy file from SC, in these cases where there is no project saved?
With my current setting, I can manually delete the proxy files in the custom folder and I can also take the precaution of creating a project and saving it to do things correctly, but SC now allows edits without a project, so this situation can often occur.

I don’t know if this is a pre-beta problem because I’ve never tried 5.1 channel audio before.
If this is a known behavior, please ignore my comment.
I have a video with 5.1 channel audio. I want to export only the audio so I had several behaviors in SC with export failures.

Exports were correct for AAC, ALAC, FLAC, and WAV formats. Exports failed for MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and WMA.
I thought (mistakenly) that perhaps exporting in these formats (e.g. mp3) would produce several separate files for each channel.
The idea was to export the audio channels in separate files to import them into individual audio tracks in SC so that the sound could be edited.
Since they are default presets (and SC detect the project settings because it automatically selects 6-channel or 2-channel audio according to the audio channel preference setting), maybe in these cases, a conflict warning ( or suggest changing the setting to 2-channel audio) in the export would be possible? (just a thought)
If this behavior occurs before this Beta, please feel free to move this post to the thread you feel is appropriate.

@brian, can picking custom transitions be added to the transitions options in the slideshow generator?

No, clips can be used in more than one project.

Is there a way to delete the proxy file from SC, in these cases where there is no project saved?

If you are previewing files to determine which ones to include drag to the Source player instead of Playlist. Opening a file in Source does not automatically generate a proxy.

If you want to delete proxies that will no longer be used, it will not be easy. You can open the file, and if you are not on Windows there is an option in Properties > Proxy to Delete Proxy. On Windows, you need to use Copy Hash Code, and then locate the file to delete.

Yes, I can foresee a lot of disk space used with proxies. No, I do not have a good solution for that outside of using project folders. I am thinking about something for the next version. In the meantime, most file managers have a way to add a column that shows Date Accessed. You can add that, click the column heading to sort it, and then delete anything that has not been used since a date.

These formats do not support more than 2 channels.

a conflict warning ( or suggest changing the setting to 2-channel audio) in the export would be possible?

I have stated this often: there are a lot of things that export can check and give a warning. We can write a very large amount of code in this area that is boring work, adds bugs, and makes it much more difficult to maintain while getting little else done. I chose not and to spend time elsewhere. You can look in the job log when it fails and try to learn why. This is outside the scope of this beta.

Yes. That is possible. But not in time for the release, I’m afraid. Will keep it in mind for the future.

@brian I saw one issue in slideshow generator.
The slideshow generator is allow adding audio clips from playlist. No needs to add Audio files for slideshow. Expected behavior : do not allow audio clips in slideshow generator as a image or video clips.

• When in proxy mode, taking a snapshot of the current frame makes a snapshot of the proxy not the source file.

• If you open a project and drag the file into the player then turn on proxy mode and proxy won’t be generated. It won’t generate unless it’s in the playlist or timeline. So for anyone doing a clip only project they won’t be working with proxies unless they made one before starting that clip only project. Is that intentional?

• Have a clip in the timeline or in the Source tab. Add any filter that has number values that can be typed in manually. Click inside the space for the number value. Press and hold the left or right arrow key. When it reaches the start or the end for the space of the number value the playhead in the timeline will start to move.

And just out of curiosity, I notice the hash codes don’t use upper case letters. Would just lower case hash codes be enough to cover all possible files? Just wondering if it would make a difference if they were case sensitive and used both lower and upper case letters.

I disagree, and this should not be changed. With the slideshow generator, it is possible to easily combine a collection of music with cross-fades. If you do not want audio-only clips, then do not select them.

Unfortunately, this cannot be fixed. The image used for export comes from the player.

If you open a project and drag the file into the player then turn on proxy mode and proxy won’t be generated. It won’t generate unless it’s in the playlist or timeline.

It is by design that a proxy is not automatically generated until it is added to the playlist or timeline. That is the documentation.

So for anyone doing a clip only project they won’t be working with proxies unless they made one before starting that clip only project. Is that intentional?

You have to use Make Proxy if you want that.

Press and hold the left or right arrow key. When it reaches the start or the end for the space of the number value the playhead in the timeline will start to move.

This is an old bug and low priority.

And just out of curiosity, I notice the hash codes don’t use upper case letters. Would just lower case hash codes be enough to cover all possible files?

It comes out of the MD5 algorithm that we did not write as hexadecimal, which is not case sensitive. Yes, it is possible for there to be a collision, but I am not going to change it to something heavier and that looks at the entire file (I have files over 100 GB) out of performance reasons.

That probably should be noted in the documentation. I would edit it in but I don’t know where you would prefer to have that specific note be.

And about the documentation there is this note:

However, if you go into Advanced mode and turn on Video > Use preview scaling , not only does export use the preview scaling resolution, but also it uses proxy clips and images to further speed up export!

Does it still use the proxy clips for export if you have proxy mode off but the preview scailing on?

Thanks for the answers and the explanation about the Shotcut behaviors, which I mentioned. :+1:

Not sure if this is related, but my project has 2:02 nothingness added at the end and when I export the timeline there will be 2:02 of black added at the end.

This happened to me twice last year and each time I found a single frame at the end of the timeline. I must have made a slight mistake when deleting a clip. I expanded the timeline at the end to find the problem.

If this is your problem use the player controls to get to the frame in question, CTRL-space to select it DEL to delete it.

I don’t think that’s the case here.
In the screenshot not that the timeline only goes until the last clip, but when you look in the timecode of the viewer ist says 00:10:16:17 of a total time of 00:12:19:24 even though the playhead sits on the last frame.

It must be related to something else. I have MLT XML clips in my timeline which are sped up, maybe there is a bug somewhere related to that.

For the change of name of the Master track to Output track, I think calling it Output makes it less clear on what it’s about.

How about other names like, “Universal”, “Global”, “Principal” or simply “Main”?

Possible bug report - The JKL feature works really well when used on a proxy clip. However, I find there’s an annoying jump when applying the second “L” to speed up the clip forwards.
The jump doesn’t appear on the second “K” when reversing. In fact reversing seems to be way smoother and useable than going forwards …!

This short demo demonstrates what I’m trying to say. I’ve added subtitles when I press J, K or L. Anyone else notice this? Windows 10

https://streamable.com/70s9cz

Nothing was changed here and the speed was always dependent upon the speed of seeking. The trick playback modes are very simple and not related to realtime. They simply skip frames. 2X = every other frame. Seeking forwards is less work than backward.

I disagree. Master was always short for something: master what? Same goes for main or primary: of what? Master/main/primary track? But what does that mean? It is very abstract.

In Shotcut, I added “Master” as shorthand to mimic the terminology of Master Output in a mixing console, but I bet most users are not exposed to that. So, Master just sits there as this meaningless label in the UI for most letting minds wander. If clips are inputs to the Timeline, then Output represents - you guessed it: the output = the sum output of all the tracks. Filters on the output affect the output of the entire timeline. And “Timeline” is not acceptable because there is already an object labeled Timeline. Furthermore, it has already received translation updates. End of discussion.

Closing this beta now for release.