V20.06 BETA 2 is available

Rules of Participation (Important)

• We are only interested in major regressions over recent versions (v19.12 and newer).
  • We are also interested in major bugs in new features and changes specific to this release.
  • Do not report about existing bugs that have not been indicated as fixed by this version.
  • Not everything reported will be fixed before release; only what the developers consider critical.
    We are not trying to fix everything possible during the beta but only the most critical, blocker bugs.
  • Provide all feedback as a reply within this thread or as a GitHub Issue.
    If using a GitHub issue, make sure you indicate the version.
  • The beta period will end by June 28 (but possibly sooner).
  • There will only be another beta released if there is a critical problem that needs confirmation from testers after the fix.
  • The actual release may add some low risk fixes and additions (e.g. new preset) over the beta.

Download

Get the beta release from this GitHub page that also includes the list of fixes, changes, and additions.

Thank You For Your Help!

Before it gets reported, there is still a known issue with Proxy when turning it off or on:

I reproduced this with an unsaved, non-empty project. This will be fixed for release, and a new beta will not be issued to resolve this. To work around it, save the project.

1 Like

Really sorry Dan, I just tried making a slideshow from some random clips and I’m getting a crash every time. Best explained by this screen capture (not edited at all ) …

Scrolling through the slideshow clips, 1) transitions are different lengths, 2) 2nd transition does not seem to dissolve, 3) properties shows “Timeline” for clip #2 (not filename) , then … crash.

Settings are : preview scaling and proxy: 360. Hope the screen capture will give you some clues. I’d like to help further but I won’t be able to reply tonight - busy evening ahead. Hope this helps anyway.

Windows 10

Carrying over from the previous BETA post…

We can maybe add some of those eventually. My vision for the slideshow generator is for it to be very simple. I would need to better understand the value of some of these options. For example, is “zoom in” better for sad stories and “zoom out” better for happy stories? Or are you just asking for more doodads for the user to be able to play with? I’m not interested in adding many more options that don’t add value for the user.

Also, the user will always need to be able to go into the generated slideshow and tweak things. For example, the zoom just zooms to the center. The generator can’t know that the subject of the image is on the right side (for example). So the user will need to make adjustments to personalize the filters for the specific images.

Good catch. Fixed for the final release.

The preview shows a timeline. But I see that it does not always show the end time. I will see if I can enhance the preview somehow to show the end time.

I have recreated this. But not consistently enough to debug it. If you can provide fool-proof steps to reproduce, that could be helpful.

1 Like

You immediately tested a combination of new things in unexpected way. Slideshow was intended primarily for images, and I did not test that on videos with proxies. I am not sure I will get around to fixing anything here.

This is good testing. But there are a lot of moving parts. I think the most helpful thing (if you have time available) would be to try to create a minimum test case to reproduce each of the issues you reported.

Does slideshow try to handle a video whose duration is less than slide duration?

I did not add anything to purposefully handle that.

My first thought would be to skip the clip and then warn the user. Any other ideas for ways to handle that case?

I did some testing on this. A clip being shorter than the slide duration is already handled. If the clip is too short, then Shotcut will play as much as it can.

What is not handled well is a clip being shorter than a transition duration. I have added some checks for that. For the release, if a clip is shorter than the transition, the transition will not be added.

Serait-il possible d’avoir un réglage plus fin pour la durée des transitions ?
Si la zone d’entrée pour la durée acceptait au moins une décimale, on pourrait avoir des transitions de moins de 1 s.

Traduction DeepL
Would it be possible to have a finer adjustment for the duration of the transitions?
If the input field for duration accepted at least one decimal place, transitions of less than 1 s could be possible.

@brian , Unfortunately I have very limited time today. The testing I did yesterday was rushed also. I’ll gladly look into it further if I can grab a moment though. Do you think it is entirely down to the clip being shorter or could it be something to do with proxy?

Sounds a good idea, even if it is just a stop-gap.

Hello:
I use for my recurring videos transparent templates to place certain elements within my videos.
I usually use an image (SVG or PNG) with transparency.
The template (SVG or PNG) is converted to a JPEG proxy file which loses transparency during editing.
The same incidence occurs with animated GIFs.
No proxy PNG:

Proxy PNG:

I know that I can disable Proxy on individual files in the properties window and the transparency returns when I disable Proxy for each image file I need. :slightly_smiling_face:
I don’t know if this is a problem or if this is meant to reduce the size of the resulting proxy files, so I just thought I’d mention it here for your information.
Doing these tests it happened that when I dragged an image (PNG or GIF) the default duration was 20 seconds. The default so far was 4 seconds. I couldn’t reproduce this behavior again. I’ll try again later.
Then I noticed that the increase/decrease duration arrows didn’t work. The “default” button didn’t work either.
This is independent of the proxy enable/disable in the project.
This screenshot is taken without proxy enabled and with newly imported images (never before within this project)

Thank you very much for the hard work on Shotcut.
It’s exciting to see it grow day by day. :+1:

This was an oversight, and I will make a change for the release to not automatically generate a proxy for when an image has an alpha channel or is animated.

Then I noticed that the increase/decrease duration arrows didn’t work. The “default” button didn’t work either.

These have never worked when the image is already on the timeline, and that will not be changed for the release.

I never realized that. I thought it was a regression. My mistake. I’m sorry.

Can I use this alongside my stable install, without it interfering with my other settings?

Yes

1 Like

This was easy to add - I made the zoom go negative for “zoom out”.

I added one decimal place for the release.

I feel confident about the fix for the short clips. If you can find some time to test simple cases using proxy, preview scaling, and both, that would be helpful. Most importantly, test cases that you think you will use so that we know it works for your common needs.

1 Like

Hello. That pause button at the bottom doesn’t seem to be working. It just keeps going no matter how much a click it.

@brian, is there a way I can download the very latest version of the Beta that includes your fixes?