V21.01 BETA is now available to test

Rules of Participation (Important)

• We are primarily interested in major regressions over the latest version v20.11.28.
  • We are also interested in major bugs in new features and changes specific to this release.
  • Do not report about existing bugs that have not been indicated as fixed by this version.
  • Provide all feedback as a reply within this thread or as a GitHub Issue.
    If using a GitHub issue, make sure you indicate the version.
  • The beta period will end by January 28.

Download

Get the beta release from this GitHub page that also includes the list of fixes, changes, and additions.

Thank You For Your Help!

2 Likes

1) If I add a ton of text in Text: Rich and extend the background size to match the text size, now Text: Rich does not allow me to scroll down. In the previous version of Text: Rich you were able to scroll down after extending the background size.

2) Pressing the shortcut key X to remove a gap is not behaving the same way if you do it by right click. In this demo I have two clips on the same track with a gap in between and a clip right above that gap. I first go to remove the gap by right click. Then I do it again by pressing X but instead of deleting the gap it deletes the clip above it even though I have selected the track with the gap.

3) The timer box that appears when moving keyframes does not stay for the entire time when holding and moving around a keyframe. It disappears after a little bit. Demo.

4) This is minor but in the Glow filter, the parameter says “Blur” instead of “Glow” or “Level”.

5) Can the Scroll Bar for the preset menus that appears on the right side be made thicker so it’s easier to grab? Also, when using the middle mouse button to scroll it moves much slower than expected.

6) How about making the default size for Text: Simple the same as what Text: Rich was changed to last time? Text: Rich’s default matches the safe areas but Text: Simple’s default goes past them.

7) In Text: Simple, if you click and hold inside the box to type out text, the text gets dragged around the space like a floating object. Demo. You also cannot double click to highlight text anymore.

8) In Text: Simple, the space to type out text is much smaller than it was before. Can the original size be restored? It’s too small now.

9) The “View As Icons” in the Playlist is acting strange when selecting clips. Once you open a clip and tap (not double click to open) another clip it multi-selects other clips.

10) In all 3 “View As” options in the Playlist (Tiles, Icons and Details) if you open a clip then copy the clip specifically with the shortcut Shift+C, the red outline doesn’t disappear unless you click away from that clip.

11) Select a new clip in the timeline. Open the Filters menu either by pressing the + icon or by pressing F on the keyboard. Now don’t move the mouse or press any keys. After about a second, for no reason the scroll bar on the Filters menu will start scrolling all the way down by itself. In this demo I first do it by pressing the + icon and the second time I do it by pressing F.

12) The Lens Correction filter is broken:

v20.11.28

v21.01 BETA

3 Likes

Dans la demo 11 de @DRM l’onglet “Favorite” est sĂ©lectionnĂ© et il semblerait que tous les filtres sont dans la liste, pas seulement les filtres favoris

In @DRM demo 11 the “Favorite” tab is selected and it looks like all filters are in the list, not just the favorite ones.

1 Like

#7 on @DRM’s list confirmed
2021-01-17_12-28-44

That’s the same bug as my number 7.

1 Like

I do not reproduce this difference with a previous version, or I do not understand. I find it easier to use Overflow Visible rather than changing the background height (I was trying to change only the background height). Also, when you write “scroll down” it is unclear if you are talking about the editor or the preset, but I tried both. Basically, whenever the background height is as tall as the text height - whether using Overflow Visible or not - you will not be able to scroll. That is why Overflow is easier to use because you can turn it off to edit with vertically scrolling in the editor and then turn it back on without the need to update the background size.

2) Pressing the shortcut key X to remove a gap is not behaving the same way if you do it by right click.

This is not new and currently by design. Several timeline editing actions operate in a track-wise top-down fashion when nothing is selected regardless of the current track. The idea is to let one edit against what is likely viewable in the player (likely => it does understand how filters and track blending may affect that). It can be debated in a new suggestion, but out of scope of a beta bug report.

3) The timer box that appears when moving keyframes does not stay for the entire time when holding and moving around a keyframe. It disappears after a little bit.

This is fixed for the next version.

4) This is minor but in the Glow filter, the parameter says “Blur” instead of “Glow” or “Level”.

This is not new and currently by design. It really is a blur parameter: MLT - Documentation

5) Can the Scroll Bar for the preset menus that appears on the right side be made thicker so it’s easier to grab?

We cannot change the scroll bars on combo boxes or menus unless we modify the Qt code, which I do not want us to do as it inhibits updates.

6) How about making the default size for Text: Simple the same as what Text: Rich

The size is configured to fill its rectangle. This will not be changed, and it is out-of-scope in a beta report. You can create a suggestion about it, but currently I disagree.

12) The Lens Correction filter is broken:

This is fixed for the next version. It was erroneously changed to support slice threading, but it is incompatible with that. It will not be changed to support slices within the beta and probably not anytime soon. Instead, I must remove the slice threading flag.

In @DRM demo 11 the “Favorite” tab is selected and it looks like all filters are in the list, not just the favorite ones.

Yes, that is an important factor in the bug, yet you can see some (and only some) are marked favorite. I have not reproduced this on any operating system on all of my systems. Has anyone else?

Okay but that behavior is not consistent. Right click to remove and pressing X is supposed to be the same thing. It even has “X” next to the word “Remove” in the right click menu. So it behaving in two different ways for this scenario depending on how you choose to access the remove function doesn’t make sense.

Yeah but it’s called “Glow”. If it were really a blur filter then it should be “Blur: Glow”. If anything “Level” is what would be expected in that parameter. Again, a minor issue and not a big deal it’s just a little unexpected.

I’m talking about actually scrolling down with the mouse wheel. Not the preset. That’s why I said about adding “a ton of text” because that means that the text goes beyond the rectangle and the only way to get to it is to scroll down with the mouse wheel.

On the previous versions if I would change the parameter in the background size to be the same number as the text size I could scroll down with the mouse wheel to see the text that goes beyond the rectangle. With this version now if I change the background size to be as big as the text size I can’t scroll down with the mouse wheel.

It doesn’t seem like it. While it was an interesting observation that @Namna made and I don’t know why it happened that whole thing about the Favorites list having all of the filters hasn’t happened again *. But the issue of it scrolling down by itself does still happen.

So open the Filters menu and click on either Video or Audio so it doesn’t start on the Favorites list the next time you open the Filters menu. Then select a new clip and open the filters menu again with either the + button or by pressing F. I did this just now and it happens again with both the Video and Audio categories.

Edit: * It did happen again just moments ago. This time the Favorites list reflected the Audio category. So there is some kind of bug where sometimes the Favorites list will instead show either the Video or the Audio category. I haven’t found the trigger for it yet but I just wanted to give that update that there is some kind of a bug happening in regards to that.

I reproduced it, but the scrolling stops as soon as the mouse enters the list view or you start typing. So, for me, it is a minor thing. Some might even think it is a nifty feature.

On the previous versions if I would change the parameter in the background size to be the same number as the text size I could scroll down with the mouse wheel to see the text that goes beyond the rectangle.

I do not reproduce that capability on v20.11.28 or v20.09.27.

These two are fixed now. Thanks for your report.

1 Like

I also found some other conditions where current playlist item is not cleared: open file from menu/toolbar/recent, or copy timeline clip and switch to Source.
This is fixed for next version.

1. new crash: Opening some .MTS files cause sudden closure of Shotcut. Here a screenshot and a short video which crashes on opening. (1440 x 1018, 50i, 16:9) Not all videos of the sort mentioned here cause the crsah. I could not find the difference, but with the uploaded file it’s reproducable. The last release version does not crash.

00035.zip (1.4 MB)

2. Congratulation: Deinterlacing into field rate works but needs improvement, see here.
    Failure in deinterlacing?

3. The problem “dropdown action dead on repeating” is solved, but only partial, see here:
    Wrong scaling in zoom slider, wrong detault, missing action by preset-dropdown

I actually laughed when I read that. :smile: I really don’t think anyone’s going to look at a menu moving by itself as a cool feature. I certainly didn’t. I thought something was wrong with my mouse. In fact, when you first said that you couldn’t reproduce it I once again thought that maybe something was wrong with my mouse. If it can be fixed it really should be because that’s not something that anyone’s ever expecting with any program.

13) I just tested today’s build and there is some major regression going on. It’s not letting me start a project by dragging directly to the timeline. When I try to do that it opens it in the player with nothing in the timeline instead. Then when I try to then drag from the player to the timeline it crashes. If I drag to the playlist then it freezes. Playback is really bad because the audio is crackling the entire time. Finally, it’s automatically creating mlt files where the source video is from for some reason. Basically it’s unusable.

Ce n’est pas nouveau, cela existait dĂ©jĂ  sur la V20-09-27

This is not new, it already existed on the V20-09-27

Diapo37

These are fixed.

Can’t export from beta version. Reopening does nothing. If I copy the file to C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/Temp/ the issue is resolved and the rendering starts.
[Debug ] MltXmlChecker::check begin
[Info ] MltXmlChecker::check decimal point ‘.’
[Error ] MltXmlChecker::checkUnlinkedFile file not found: “C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/Temp/videofile-name.mp4”
[Debug ] MltXmlChecker::check end

This isn’t a Shotcut problem. You probably dragged a video or image directly from a web browser to Shotcut. When the web browser cleaned itself up by clearing the temp folder, the Shotcut project broke. This is to be expected. Web media should be downloaded or copied to a real project folder rather than being used directly out of a web cache or temp folder. Those folders can be cleaned up at any moment and break a project.

Possible regression
 When I work on a 4K project for a bit, it takes 9 GB of RAM for the frame cache. (This system has 16 GB.) If I start an export, Shotcut retains all 9 GB rather than releasing cache, and now my export is throwing a “system running low on memory” error that it didn’t used to throw. melt.exe only has 5 GB to work with now.

I forgot to mention, I manage to export with 20.10.31, the version I have been using.