Updating Shotcut on Chromebook

This is for Linux noobs. People who are good at using Linux on their Chromebook will know this.

Previously, I discussed how to install Shotcut on Chromebook using a flatpak.

I have had no problems running Shotcut on a Chromebook. I have a new Acer Chromebook Spin 713, model CP713-3W-5102. This has 8GB RAM with an i5 Intel EVO Core. It actually runs Shotcut better than my 16GB RAM Pixelbook, which had an i7 Intel Y Core (7th gen).

Now, when you run it, it will only run the version you installed. So the flatpak I used was v.21.09.20. Yes, you can click on the update and it will tell you a new one is available, but it won’t allow you to update.

So here is what you need to do:

Uninstall Shotcut using the following command: sudo flatpak uninstall org.shotcut.Shotcut

The capital ess is important.

Now get the flatpak for the new version. 21.10.31 is out not. I like going to Flathub. Check at the bottom to be sure it is the new version. (Link is for v. 21.10.31)

Directions are simple. Any time Terminal asks if you want to install, type Y and ENTER.

sudo apt update
sudo apt install flatpak
sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
sudo flatpak install flathub org.shotcut.Shotcut

You can copy from this using CTRL+C and paste in Terminal with a two-fingered tap.

It’ll take a second to download and it’ll be done with an icon in your Linux Apps folder on your Chromebook.

If you don’t want to bother with having to do this every time, you can also run Shotcut on Chromebook using the Appimage. I will enter that as a separate post and link to it.

1 Like

sudo flatpak update might work also. In Chromebook, this seems to depend on how old your Chromebook is, etc.

I am not an ace on Linux, but I am able to run Shotcut, Natron and Audacity on it, so I am sharing my experience for those of you who are like me and often confused by the myriad Linux fora out there.

1 Like

The normal procedure for updating flatpaks is

flatpak update (if flatpaks is installed for current user)

or

sudo flatpak update (if flatpak is installed at system level)

Have not tried it on a chromebook, but works fine on my laptop running Fedora Linux 35

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.