Downloading to Chromebook

Downloading to Chromebook is no longer an impossibility thanks to there being a Linux terminal.

I have a Pixelbook with 16GB RAM, i7 Core, and a 512GB SSD. Obviously, have at least 8GB of RAM, but you do need internal storage.

I am going to assume you know how to install Linux on your Chromebook. If not, go to Settings, Advanced, Developers, then in the Linux development environment click Turn On. A pop up will tell you you’ll get Linux, click Next. OK, your full user name is there, change it to whatever you want. It must be all lowercase. Now, I suggest not going with the default 7.5GB, so click “Customise” and I’d choose at least 30GB. Again, you need to have decent internal storage on this. Remember, your video files are going to be in the SSD under “Linux Files.” Then click OK and wait. It’ll set up and you can go into your apps and see Linux. Open your terminal.

First, you need a flatpak.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.shotcut.Shotcut

Click install. Go into your Files and to Downloads. Move the flatpak to Linux Files. Click on Linux Files and make sure it is there.

In your Linux terminal enter:

sudo apt update

Nothing happens after that. Now enter:

sudo apt install flatpak

You’ll get some lines and then back to the prompt. Now enter:

sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

Enter Y whenever it asks. Wait and be patient.

When you get the prompt again, enter the following:

sudo flatpak install flathub org.shotcut.Shotcut

Again, enter Y when asked and just wait. A lot goes on during these last two entries.

When it is all done, open a tab in Chrome and enter:

chrome://flags/#crostini-gpu-support

It’ll be shown as Default on the page. Open the dropdown and change to Disable.

Restart your computer. Go to your apps and you’ll see Shotcut right there in your Linux Apps folder.

I have no problems using it, but I have what was the best Chromebook of 2017. I do edit 1080p without issue. I do have to use proxy files for 2K through 4K, but I don’t have a problem.

To reiterate: your Chromebook needs internal memory and some decent specs to work, but it can be installed on Linux.

Oh, remember to move your videos into the Linux Files. When you open something, Shotcut only looks in there. Power users can set it to go to Drive or whatnot, but I am not there.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing the instructions.

1 Like

I am a Chromebook user and I am happy to report that I too, am using Shotcut successfully on one. I installed the Flatpak first, but I had some issues trying to change the project folder location, so then I switched to the appimage and that is working so much better for me. My Chromebook is the new Asus CX5, so it does have that Tiger Lake processor and a decent amount of RAM. I am also editing and saving my projects straight to an external SSD without any issues so far.

3 Likes

That’s odd. I had worse luck with the appimage. I did better with the flatpak. It is running smoothly. I have an occasional crash, which happened in Windows 10, so I am not losing sleep over that.

I am probably going to get the CX5 next year unless there is a Pixelbook 2. I don’t want a Go. Though the price of the CX5 will be lower for the same specs.

I figure I have enough storage to just take the video file from Linux Files and transfer it to Drive or my external HD.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.