Timeline markers add-on

C’est aussi l’avantage d’un module complémentaire, si il ne nous satisfait pas on peut le désinstaller facilement et revenir à la version originale.

This is also the advantage of an add-on, if we are not satisfied with it we can uninstall it easily and return to the original version.

1 Like

Exactly!! Certainly no need for the marker to span the whole tracks. In fact that would be intrusive I think.

It is! When you have a timeline like this, having these markers to mark key parts of the timeline is a godsend. Thank you @namna and @musicalbox.

2 Likes

Any change, or proposed change, in the look and feel of a tool, will always be welcomed by some and resisted by others,
That difference is usually not so much related to the persons but to the differences in the tasks foe which they will use the tool.
Thus, all such differences and perspectives are both legitimate and reasonable.
Even if they are opposite.

I notice, merely as an observation, that all of the screenshots posted contra markers spanning tracks have had no waveforms showing in the video tracks.

Different tasks, thus different workstyles, thus different visions of the ideal UI. :slightly_smiling_face:

Merci. Thank you for your suggestion, but it is the original Shotcut files (in the Linux installation) that I cannot rename. They are “owned” by the root directory (I think that is the correct description) so are protected files and I don’t have the permission to rename them.

Is this your computer, or is it owned by a library or university, etc, with Shotcut preinstalled?

Merci beaucoup @jonray
Avec votre capture d’écran je vois aussi que vous appréciez l’outil de déplacement puisque vous l’avez même dupliqué. C’est vrai que cela allonge la timeline, mais pour moi aussi c’est un outil très utile.

Thanks a lot @jonray
With your screenshot I can also see that you like the move tool since you even duplicated it. It’s true that it makes the timeline longer, but for me too it’s a very useful tool.

2 Likes

It is my own computer. I have Linux installed on an external USB hard drive, as I did not want to partition my computer drive. It was already getting low on space. I can use a CLI but am not really familiar with the Linux commands. I used DOS years ago.

You installed it, you have the potential to use root privilege.

That involves the “terminal”, which is similar to DOS.

(Hint: When the terminal says you are not allowed to do a command because privilege, prefix the command with “sudo” and it will prompt you for your password when you execute the command. That is one of your doors into “root”.

Yes indeed! This is a screenshot of a few months ago. I put two on my timeline and set one to 4 and one to 50. I wanted to divide a clip into different scenes (and had to locate the cut points quickly and easily). So having two of these tools this I was able to: 1) move in 50-frame steps until the scene changed, then 2) back in 4-frame steps until the scene changed back. Then I had a minimum of 3 Alt/right keypresses to locate the exact point of the scene change.
Quick and easy! I love this tool!

1 Like

If you don’t have sudo installed but can install it you can get a copy here: https://www.sudo.ws/

1 Like

Que bacana! Excelente opção! Se me permitem, estarei criando um vídeo em meu canal mostrando o tutorial e dando os referidos créditos. Acho fantástico a capacidade de desenvolver algo visando o aprimoramento dessa ferramenta tão útil á todos. Parabéns!!!

Here is the new compatible version V21.05.01

Compared to the previous version:

Added “Go to previous marker” and “Go to next marker” functions.
Capture d’écran 2021-05-06 à 14.42.06

Added an “extended toolbar” option with 3 additional icons that allow you to place, delete, and move from one marker to another with a single click.
Capture d’écran 2021-05-06 à 14.48.15

Capture d’écran 2021-05-06 à 14.50.30

Capture d’écran 2021-05-06 à 14.48.53

Add an outline around the icons of the same tool.
Capture d’écran 2021-05-06 à 14.33.50

Addition of colored icons in the menus.
Capture d’écran 2021-05-06 à 14.43.13

For the bonus “Skip tool” it is now possible to select the number of images in the area by a simple double click.
Capture d’écran 2021-05-06 à 16.08.14

The installation procedure is the same as the one detailed in post 1
In the attached folder, in addition to the 3 files, you will find an “icons” folder which is also to be placed in the “timeline” folder of SC.
This folder contains the colored icons of the menus.

Enjoy.

Timeline_Markers_for_21-05-01.zip (19.2 KB)

4 Likes

I love the new “extended toolbar” option. Makes it a lot faster to add or delete markers and to navigate between markers.

1 Like

This is just brilliant. Massive Kudos to @namna and @musicalbox for devising/testing this. I will always have this as a “must-have” Shotcut accessory on my system… :+1: :smile:

2 Likes

This is awesome! I’ll update my links

2 Likes

After installing I lost my timeline and timeline toolbar. Where is this “Post 72” where the updated version lives? I’m new here and I didn’t see any numbers on the posts.

Thanks for you help.

Post 72
The link is at the bottom

It worked!!! Thank you!

2 Likes

Where the heck is ‘post 24’? Don’t see any listings by post number.

2021-07-08_17-49-40