Text and line effect

@bentacular, these are great tips! A dual monitor is a great idea - pity I don’t have one! :worried:
I’m glad you use a script, because so do I. Tell you what though, you make your commentary very natural. Bravo! You are an actor!
Also, great point about putting certain words in caps according to the inflection you want. I do that, but will be doing it more.
PS Here’s a page of my script so far. Entries in red are those I have changed or added. I make the script in PagePlus.

1 Like

Thank you @jonray! I actually get a lot of inspiration for my videos from your tips and tutorials! Sometimes, when I’m on my laptop, devoid of a second screen, I use a tablet or phone as my second screen for the script.

Many YouTubers also don’t sound like their videos in real life because they essentially speed up their speaking recording by 1.1 - 1.5x. That’s another way to shorten videos.

1 Like

FINALLY! I have completed Part 1 of 2 tutorials to show how to create the text and line effects with Shotcut using only the Text:Simple and Crop:Rectangle filters. Part 1 is very much intended for beginners - or at least, that is my intention. It goes into a good bit of detail on how to set up the basic line and text without animation, offering explanations and alternatives along the way.

Part 2 will move much faster, just focusing on how to use the filters to create four different animation effects. I hope to have that tutorial completed much more quickly, now that I have worked through the process of creating a tutorial.

Here is the YouTube link for Part 1: https://youtu.be/wx-paR2W9s4

If you are an intermediate or advanced user, you may not learn anything new … but if anyone of any level of expertise watches the tutorial, I would very much appreciate feedback. Is the pacing okay? Is it clear? Would this actually be helpful for beginners, or is it mostly a waste of time?? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, that was worth the wait. The result is excellent! :+1: :+1:
Now, if you didn’t already do it while I type this, you need to create a post in the Tutorial section. So everyone can easily find your video.

Perfect!

Very!

Definitely! Even for someone who doesn’t really need to create this line effect, the video is a gold mine of useful tips for beginners.

1 Like

Thanks, will do - I was a) a bit hesitant about whether it would be useful in the Tutorials section, and b) thinking it might be better to wait until both parts are available - ?

Well, don’t worry about a) It will fit perfectly in that section.
b) You can always add it when it’s available. Or create another post for part 2

1 Like

@awake, from what I’ve seen so far, these are EXCEPTIONAL. So thorough and clearly explained. I look forward to watching all of them (only had a chance to skim so far). BRAVO.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Your affirmation and MusicalBox’s mean a lot because you do such good work with your videos!

1 Like

This is so professional, I swear I was watching a Microsoft training video. Great job! Way to set the bar so high!

Amazing!

2 Likes

Now I’m blushing … I’m just trying to get somewhere up near the bar you have set!

1 Like

Can I just offer one piece of small constructive criticism? There’s quite a bit of background noise on your voiceover. In case you didn’t know, audacity has quite an effective noise reduction feature to remove background “hum”… Just hope this might help.

1 Like

Absolutely, and thanks for the input. I did not notice the hum when I played it here … wonder if it might have gotten introduced in the conversion to Youtube - ??? I will listen to the Youtube version and compare it to the local copy and see if there is a difference.

Incidentally, I made heavy use of Audacity to splice together several different files and cut out bits and pieces (e.g., where I made mistakes and had to start a section over). I did speed up the output a fair bit to make the video not so long … I was worried that I did too much.

1 Like

Hi @awake, I can definitely hear it when I listen on headphones. It’s not a major issue, though, certainly nothing to worry about or re-do. Just thought I’d mention it.

I didn’t notice any speeding up so I think you got that just perfect. Flows nicely.

1 Like

Thanks Jonray for your comment on this issue, because from now on I shall listen for that on own videos. However, I did not notice the hum until you actually wrote about it, and then it actually became a bit annoying to listen to.

I have tried to analyse the hum in awakes video with an FFT filter, and the noise mainly consist of a 120 Hz tone, and I could not identify other harmonics from mains supply. I know a bit about this kind of noise, and I do not think the origin is magnetic fields or lack of grounding on mains grid level. This is something, that is most likely caused internally in an microphone amplifier and from the DC supply voltage there or nearby. I tried to filter the signal with a 120 Hz notch filter, and it got rid of most of it.

2 Likes

Viggo, that is super helpful - thanks for chasing this down and providing the remedy! I know less about audio than I do video … and I don’t know that much about video!

I used an old Philips digital recorder to capture the sound; it is a bit better than using the microphone on the laptop, but not anything like a “good” microphone. I have thought about investing in something better, but not sure what the options are, especially in a budget-friendly range. If anyone has recommendations, I’d love to hear them!

Oh … I just realized … I recorded the first tutorial after hours in my office, and there is an HVAC blower in the back that might be responsible for a hum at 120Hz. I already recorded the audio for the second tutorial at home; maybe the hum will not be there …

It will be a few days before I have time to finish the second tutorial, since classes are beginning this week. Sigh … always a shame when work interferes with hobbies!

1 Like

Awake. Oh yes, it can of cause also be real audio noise near by when recording. Motors and transformers will mostly produce even harmonics audio due to magnetostriction.

1 Like

I nearly mentioned in my post that it sounded like a fan (or tumble drier!) on in the background! That would make sense!

Don’t be modest. You shattered that bar

2 Likes

It was such a startling realization - I am so used to the noise that it normally doesn’t even register. And of course, now that I have noticed it, it seems really LOUD!

I look forward to getting a comparison with the audio for the second tutorial, recorded at home. Now I’m wondering what is part of the ambient noise at home that I don’t even register … :slight_smile:

1 Like