Text and line effect

Here is a simple text and line effect made using Shotcut. My thought was to save this as a .mlt file, then be able to import it into another project. Unfortunately, even though the background in the .mlt file is transparent, it seems that when the .mlt is imported as a clip, the transparency is lost. That said, it is trivial to add a chroma key filter keyed to black to use this as a transparent overlay.

If there is interest, I’ll put together a short tutorial on how to make this effect and how to use it with other videos …

3 Likes

It’s nice and clean, but by seeing most of the intermediate users will understand how you did it. Beginner users will want to know how to do this. And the mask movement was little slow, but not worry, people can adjust the speed later on their choice.

1. The line:- Mask for the line going from left to right and at the ending closing the mask from right to left.

2. The upper text:- You created a mask where it’s bottom is limited to touch the line.

3. The lower text:- In masking, you used the same process as upper text, but instead of it’s bottom the top was limited to the line. And to move it downwards you used the SPR filter.

This is a very easy thing to do, I can make a tutorial of it in just 5Mins and edit that some 15-20mins, but whatever you do to make this effect, it definitely looks clean and nice. I hope you don’t mind constructive criticism.

(It’s post 4)

@awake - I love it! Nice clean effect. Yes please - a tutorial would be great.

As it happens, I’m working on a YT tutorial about making text title logos with moving lines. The more the merrier though - I would love to see yours!

I just made this short “trailer”!! It may be a few weeks until I get this tutorial finished. Many of the titles are black on white - ready to be overlaid on background videos. It’s a work in progress…

https://streamable.com/p55tcc

3 Likes

Magnifique montage, j 'ai hâte de voir le tutoriel.
Bravo.

2 Likes

Not at all! That is how we all learn.

Actually, though, I did not use either the mask or SPR filters … which just means there is more than one way to achieve this effect. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought there are some other ways, that’s why I mentioned this:-

P.S:- I said that I will reveal the name of my wife-to-be, So she is… Jenny Fernandez, from GB, she came India about 6 Years ago, I met her 4 years ago for the first time. His dad is from Sri Lanka, and her mom is from GB, Now I am from India and she is from Sri Lanka.

1 Like

Crop: Rectangle then ?
That’s another way of creating a growing line

2 Likes

Then surely I want to know the way, I hope that you make a tutorial.

I would also love to know how you did it, without mask and SPR filter, @awake !!

Moi aussi, j’aimerais bien savoir, parce que sans SPR, Mask ou Crop: rectangle, je ne vois pas
A moins d’utiliser une ancienne version qui supporte webVfx

I would also like to know, because without SPR, Mask or Crop: rectangle, I don’t see. :roll_eyes:
Unless you use an old version that supports webVfx :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Okay, a tutorial is on the way - I have recorded the screen, and just need to add in the narration. Hopefully I will post it to the tutorial folder by the end of the day today.

3 Likes

Great! Will look forward to it.

I will look for it too.

Excited to see!

I already had great respect for folks like Ben who can pull together a concise, helpful tutorial. My respect has only increased as I have attempted to do the same … so far without complete success. I tried recording it “as I went” - narrating and recording the screen as I built the effect - but 1) it was too long (30 minutes!!!) and 2) it turns out that it is important to turn the microphone on if you actually want the audio to be recorded. Sigh.

I recorded the screen again, trying to be as concise as possible, with the idea of doing a voice-over … but still did a lot of “jittering” back and forth with the mouse. Still too long at 20 minutes. I started trying to edit out all of the jitters and dead space, but wow - it is doable, but it will be incredibly tedious.

I’m going to give it another go later today; maybe third time will be the charm. Meanwhile, though, any words of wisdom from those of you who have done tutorials? How do you keep them concise? I thought about breaking it up into shorter segments - setting up the “base” look as one video, for those who could use the very basics, then doing the key framing movements in a second video, for those who only want to see the particular techniques I used. Good idea? Terrible idea? Maybe then a third short video that shows how one can do alternative “animations” using the same basic techniques … ?

3 Likes

i would suggest a script. make the video base on it and you’ll will be fine. You can speed up the video 2x if a scene is too long.

2 Likes

As @Sheep said, a script is nice. I have stopped making tutorials now, So I can’t tell much.

I am not having a problem watching long videos, I am still happy if I watch a 30mins clip. Waiting for your final edit.

P.S:- Is the tutorial for Intermediate or beginner?
If for beginner, tell every possible details, like: “see the track bellllllow.”

Hi @awake,
Yep, the one thing I found is that - for me at least - tutorials are pretty hard to make - and very time consuming !! Co-ordinating the spoken instructions with the action on screen and presenting it at a well-paced tempo giving step by step instructions is tricky to achieve.
For me, again, I usually have to practice the process a few times in Shotcut, then I do write a script. I think some people are able to easily speak and describe what they are doing as they go along. @bentacular is brilliant at this - at least his tutorials come across that way!
I’m not natural at this so I need a script to work from.
I record me speaking the script in Cubase then play it whilst recording the screen. Then there’s a lot of tweaking, getting the on-screen action to match up with the commentary. It usually involves a mixture of speeding up, or freeze-framing the screenshot in LOTS of places.
Hope this helps.
About whether to have three different videos - two parts maybe but I think three may be too many. I could be wrong though. I appreciate it’s difficult to know at what skill level to pitch the tutorial. Good luck!

1 Like

Maybe @bentacular can give us some tips about his workflow.

2 Likes

Hey guys! It depends on the kind of tutorial you want to deliver. Sometimes, a lengthy one is good if you want to be detailed and comprehensive. But most of the time you don’t want a long one. That’s why I cut out a lot. So when people comment, “why didn’t you cover this part?” I did but fell on the cutting room floor. You can go crazy on details!

To make a concise one, a script is definitely needed and it helps to have a dual monitor setup so you can have the script and other prep materials off screen somewhere while recording the other screen. A good gauge in time is just to read the script and time yourself. I even script the inflection in my voice to bring FOCUS to a particular part by putting it the script in ALL CAPS.

I usually chapter my lessons. Record them in parts then put them together later. It is pretty straight-forward really, but the script does go a very long way. I hope that helps.

2 Likes