Shotcut Tutorial: How to Create a Split Screen to Add a Dramatic Effect to Your Cinematic Video

Simple for people with some experience. Tutorials are mainly created to help people with very little experience.

1 Like

Je suis totalement d’accord, les possibilités sont multiples.
Voici un exemple réalisé en application de ce tutoriel.
Pour augmenter un peu la difficulté, j’ai ajouté des animations d’entrée, un liseret entre les images ainsi qu’un filtre SPR pour les recadrer
Réalisé sur V20.09.27 (qui dispose du filtre Mask: Simple shape d’@Elusien avec les images-clés sur le paramètre Rotation), sans recours à d’autres logiciels externes.
J’ai utilisé des images fixes, je n’ai pas de vidéos aussi attrayantes que celles de @Bentacular :star_struck:

I totally agree, there are many possibilities.
Here is an example made using this tutorial.
To increase the difficulty, I added some input animations and a border between the images as well as a SPR filter to crop them
Made on V20.09.27 (which has @Elusien’s Mask: Simple shape filter with the keyframes on the Rotation parameter), without using any other external software.
I used still images, I don’t have videos as attractive as those of @Bentacular :star_struck:

https://streamable.com/0i5a8r

5 Likes

Nice work @namna!

1 Like

Another fine tutorial with all steps carefully and clearly explained to help many users. Great work as usual @bentacular! PS I could listen to your voice all day. Smooth… :grin: :+1:

1 Like

LOL! Thanks. I can record something and put it on loop if you’re looking for an easy way to fall asleep…

1 Like

Some examples of how this can be used

1 Like

Awesome work!

1 Like

Another attempt at applying a variant of this technique. Not super great, but not too bad either.

3 Likes

A great way to segue from one scene to another

1 Like

Celles-la sont certainement plus difficile à réaliser sur les nouvelles versions qui ne disposent plus de webVfx.
Il faut donc à mon avis créer un fichier vidéo pour l’utiliser avec Mask from file.

These are certainly more difficult to achieve on new versions that no longer have webVfx.
So in my opinion you have to create a video file to use it with Mask from file.

https://streamable.com/4kal33

6 Likes

Here are the tutorials you asked for:

Its just the matter of creating the mask in an appropriate tool :slight_smile:
If its a static mask you just need image editing, if you want a dynamic mask (video) you have to create an animation of the mask. The latter is (of course) more complex and you need a special animation tool and knowledge.

The other problem is one might tend to overdue it with masking and esp. dynamic masking. The examples above imho show what i mean. Its nice when it really fits to the scene but in most cases - as with any special effects - its getting boring after a while and does not really fit to the atmosphere and is more or less confusing.

1 Like

C’est extrêmement impressionnant, @namna. Quel programme as-tu utilisé pour créer le fichier masque ? De plus, je suppose que le fichier est noir/blanc - mais comment avez-vous obtenu les bordures colorées des formes? Je serais ravi de voir votre fichier de masque!

That is extremely impressive, @namna. What program did you use to create the mask file? Also, I’m presuming the file is black/white - but how did you get the coloured borders of the shapes I’d love to see your mask file!

3 Likes

Great effects!

1 Like

I’m sure it has been said before … but your tutorial illustrates how helpful it would be if the simple mask filter allowed absolute pixel measurements rather than percentages. Truthfully, if I could scrape up more than a few minutes here and there, I would gladly tackle this as a first contribution to this project. Unfortunately, my work schedule does not look likely to let up for the foreseeable future. :frowning:

2 Likes

Merci @Jonray.
En fait j’utilise toujours la version V20.09.27, la dernière qui dispose de WebVfx.
Dans cette version, il y a un filtre “Crop: Rectangle” dans le dossier “webvfx_clip”. Ce filtre permettait de recadrer une image dans un rectangle avec des angles arrondis.
J’ai modifié l’UI et le fichier html associé pour ajouter d’autres formes et pouvoir régler les différents paramètres directement dans l’UI.
Je peux ainsi dessiner différentes formes simple en changeant les dimensions, les couleurs, le contour etc.
Il suffit de l’utiliser suivi de “Chroma Key simple” pour obtenir des effets ou des transitions intéressantes.
Voici une petite démo.
Si certains continuent d’utiliser la V20.09.27 et sont intéressés, je peux fournir le dossier de ce filtre.

Thanks @Jonray.
In fact I’m still using version V20.09.27, the last one with WebVfx.
In this version there is a “Crop: Rectangle” filter in the “webvfx_clip” folder. This filter allowed to crop an image into a rectangle with rounded corners.
I modified the UI and the associated html file to add other shapes and to be able to adjust the different parameters directly in the UI.
I can now draw different simple shapes by changing the dimensions, colors, outline etc.
Just use it followed by “Chroma Key simple” to get interesting effects or transitions.
Here is a small demo.
If some people are still using V20.09.27 and are interested, I can provide the file of this filter.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

https://streamable.com/kctke5

2 Likes

Wow, @namna, un filtre sur mesure ! C’est incroyablement intelligent. Et les paramètres sont keyframes ! J’aimerais bien en avoir une copie.

Wow, @namna, a custom-made filter! That is amazingly clever. And the parameters are keyframable! I’d love to have a copy of that.

1 Like

I have a copy of this that I use when I need to use WebVfx - you can only do so much with OBS and the later non-WebVfx version of Shotcut.

I too am impressed at your filter. I know from past experience that creating the filter interface isn’t for the feint-hearted.

J’en ai une copie que j’utilise lorsque j’ai besoin d’utiliser WebVfx - vous ne pouvez pas faire grand-chose avec OBS et la dernière version non WebVfx de Shotcut.

Moi aussi je suis impressionné par ton filtre. Je sais par expérience que la création de l’interface de filtre n’est pas pour les feintes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.