Scrolling text : TV News Bar & Movie Credits

Here are two examples of scrolling text done in Shotcut without the Text: HTML or even the Text: Simple filters.

All texts were created with Photoshop, but any similar graphic editor will do.

I plan on trying to make a video tutorial explaining in details how I made these. And to make sure anyone can follow along, I will use Photopea (free online Photoshop alternative) to create the text files.

14 Likes

Excellent demo, @MusicalBox - very classy. Very smooth movement of the text. I will look forward to your tutorial!! :smile: Also I’ll check out Photopea.

2 Likes

Nicely done!

1 Like

Definitely interested in this and looking forward to seeing your tutorial.

Any hints as to how you did this?
Was the text in a long image file?

(I use and recommend canva.com for creating a lot of graphic stuff - the free version would let people do most things).

1 Like

Thank you @jonray, @Hudson555x and @Roger_Leitch for your kind words.

Yes, a PNG image file.
For the movie credit for example, I create a new file in Photoshop with a 50% grey background layer. I give it the same width as the Shotcut project (usually 1920 px). For the height, I’ll start with about 3000 px and adjust it as I add text to the credits. I put all the text and images, add a drop shadow effect to everything and also a slight Gaussian blur (movie credit very rarely look 100% sharp and crisp). Then I disable the 50% grey background, leaving only the credits on a transparent background and export as a PNG.
In Shotcut, I’ll apply a Size and Position filter with these settings:
Size : (same as the PNG file)
Size Mode : Distort
Finally I add keyframes for the scrolling effect.

For the TV News Bar, basically all the same, but my PNG file is 65 X 2880 pixels.

Here’s the PNG for the end credits I used in my video:

And the one for the TV News Bar:

EDIT : The endcredit file didn’t upload as a PNG but the other one did… strange. :thinking:

3 Likes

That is not a good recommendation. It is too easy to mess up the appearance of the image in that mode. You are probably better off using Fit. Fit maintains aspect ratio, and only down-scales to make things fit into the rectangle, not upscale. So, you can simply set a size equal to source size or larger to have no scaling.

I’ve always used Distort in these situations and never had any problem. But you are right, to avoid mistakes Fit is probably a safer choice.

Thanks again.
I am ok creating the documents with the credits / news line.
Successfully got the news line on screen, but I need to get the settings right in the size and position filter to get the scrolling to work properly.

I recommended Canva.com earlier.
I have successfully used it to create my test credits / news line.

Unfortunately the option to export a png file with transparency is only available with the paid for version.

Creating a transparent PNG image with GIMP is free.
I’m sure there is many other image editors that are free as well.

2 Likes

I never used Canvas dot com before. But you might want to try Photopea. If you ever worked with Photoshop before, it’s almost identical. You can export PNG files and no installation needed, it’s a web based app. Gimp is also a good free alternative.

2 Likes

There are lots of free editors out there. I comes down to personal preference and ease of use.

I have access to the paid* for version of canva and rate it a lot.
Most things can be done in seconds or minutes.
Just spotted the transparency restriction, so thought it fair to let people know.

*I do work for a charity and they generously provide it free.

1 Like

Good discussion, would like to learn more…

1 Like

Excellent. Can hardly wait to see the video of the video.

While it is possible to use office type apps (e.g. LibreOffice Writer etc.) to produce some nice video credits and export these as PNG images to scroll in Shotcut, I still believe that the text:HTML filter has (had?) much more potential for creating some of the best scrolling animated credits.

I will still be using this for my own credits once Text:HTML is removed from Shotcut - either by using the last version of Shotcut that supported Text:HTML, or by using OBS to create a “credit video” that I can import into Shotcut as a clip. As an example of what could be done (albeit one that is slightly “over the top” to demonstrate the capabilities) see the following video:

This was created using my “Movie Credit Generator”:

3 Likes

Amazing creditroll!!! Love to see your tutorial on it. I am trying to do the same, but am failing horribly. My scroll comes out choppy and not aligned. thank you so much for sharing your talent.

1 Like

I agree! Besides, you can do something like THIS: :yum: :yum: :smile:

(I, too, will continue using the HTML filter in version 20.07 or when the text:HTML filter takes its final curtain call…)

PS I fear the end is nigh for Text:HTML … screenshots from GitHub…
text html screenshot github

Star Wars credits HTML file: STAR WARS crawl example August 2020.zip (30.8 KB)

Simply amazing

Dear friends. I am failing miserably trying to do a credit roll. I edited the text in photoshop the way I wanted it and gave the size as you guys suggested it. 1920x10000 ( it is a long credit line) when I open it in Shotcut, it looks very small and when I scale it in the filters all the way up tp 1000, it still looks small, and when I try using the keyframes, the “Y” numbers only cover one part of the image(scroll) what am I doing wrong? I tried changing the size in photoshop, then shotcut gives mr an error that cannot open the file, I saved as PNG, also in JPEG, but no luck. Is there a way to do a long credit roll without so many obstacles?
Thank you all for your help and advice
Daniel

In order to help identify the problem please do the following:

Position the play-head over the image clip; select the clip; click on “Properties”; take a snapshot of the whole Shotcut window; post the snapshot in a reply to this post.

@dankhara, just a thought, try clicking “distort” in the size and position filter…