Removing noise/grain

Dear friends. Do you have a special method to use the de-noise filter? I have some low light footage that is very grainy and unfortunately can’t find a tutorial on how to use the filter correctly to remove the noise. All I achieve is blurring the clip. Can someone give me pointers? Thank you so much for all your help. You guys are great!!!

I assume you’ve tried “Reduce Noise: HQDN3D” and “Reduce Noise: Quantization” already. The last resort is “Reduce Noise: Wavelet” which can do almost magical things with low-light footage. But it is very slow. It may be better to process that one clip, save it as a new cleaned-up clip, and bring that into your final project. That way, Wavelet doesn’t have to run multiple times if you export multiple times.

More info:

1 Like

I often add sharpening after removing noise.

Thank you so much. You wouldnt happen to know a tutorial explaining how to use the filter?

Thank you so much. I will do that.

I don’t know of a tutorial. However, the Wavelet filter has three built-in presets, one of which should be a good start point for your particular video. Then tweak the sliders from there if needed.

Thank you so much for your help. And am so sorry to ask so many “beginner style” questions. I am new to video editing and I am overwhelmed!!!
Thank you for your patience

Glad to! Editing is a big world.

1 Like

I am also interested in this aspect of noise reduction and sharpening, to try to restore some familiar VHS-C recordings and others from the first digital still camera I had that supported video recording (Kodak Easyshare C330).
I understand that there is a balance to be struck between noise reduction and maintaining detail.

1 Like

In a practical case, which option is the most appropriate for the use of noise reduction filters?
(a) Apply color grading first and then a noise reduction filter.
b) Apply noise reduction filter and then make color correction.

I suppose the choice of the type of noise reduction filter may influence this. Also whether the noise is predominantly in a light or dark area.

I might try this on a small part of the video, but since the color conditions are so variable and there is quite a bit to correct, I would like some prior guidance.

Great question, and difficult to answer. It depends on the nature of the grade and the final look that’s desired.

Example: Some noisy video has contrast greatly increased, which by nature increases the appearance of the noise. The noise could now become so distinct that the noise reduction filters think they are looking at real subject details rather than noise, and leave the noise alone. In this case, noise would need to be reduced first.

Example: If footage receives extreme noise reduction first, it could flatten the colors to single colors rather than a tonal range or gradient of colors. Then, if color grading is applied, banding could happen. Or, the result could look almost cartoon-like due to such consistent patches of colors.

So, it totally depends on how much noise is in the source, and whether the final result should look more like film or a cartoon. Then order the filters accordingly.

If the grades are not extreme, it is probably most common to reduce noise after the grade, then apply some sharpening after NR.

Thank you for your response.
The noise is not extreme, at least for a family video. So I will follow the suggested procedure:
I’ll apply the color correction, then the noise filter, and finally the sharpening.

I read another post here about restoring a 100-year-old film but nothing was said about color.

Thank you very much again. :grinning:

Hello Austin. Sorry to bother you with this, but is there a way to add chapters to a large project? For instance, a movie that is 1 hour long and you want to skip to another part of the movie? Is there a way to do it? Or just fast forward it to the point?
Thank you so much for your help.

Chapters can be added through the YouTube interface if that’s the video’s final destination. If you want to embed chapters directly in the MP4 file itself, the answer is still the same:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.