Mask Transition Effects Tutorial - Includes Wipe Mask Transition

Here is a comprehensive Shotcut Mask Transition Effects Tutorial that will include the Door Open Mask Transition and the Mask Wipe Transition that you see so often in cinematic videos. In this tutorial, I will show you two ways to create a mask transition, one chroma-keying with green screen and one using a selection tool knock out.

This is an example of a technique that you wouldn’t be able to attempt natively in Shotcut. But with a little ingenuity and creativity you can accomplish most effects that Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve can.

9 Likes

@bentacular when you dropped the transition test video the other week I was wondering how long it would be until we saw the tutorial. As ever, very good and thorough. Excellent!

1 Like

@bentacular Thank you, another excellent tutorial

1 Like

I did. This one took me forever as you can see in the video. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate the love as always. Hopefully, the French translation wasn’t butchered

1 Like

Oui, j’imagine. Pour chaque transition il faut modifier une trentaine d’images cela représente un temps certain. Mais, le résultat est là.
Dans le dernier exemple, si le poteau est vraiment vertical, il est sans doute possible d’utiliser le pré-réglage du filtre Mask “porte de grange”, mais dans le cas de la femme qui marche ce n’est pas possible autrement.

Yes, I suppose so. For each transition you have to modify about thirty images, which represents a certain amount of time. But, the result is here.
In the last example, if the pole is really vertical, it is probably possible to use the “barn door” Mask filter preset, but in the case of the woman walking it is not possible otherwise.

No, don’t worry, we understand very well

1 Like

As usual you are precise, concise and talented.
The French translation has not been too masked and remains perfectly understandable
Thanks for this tutorial.
want for more tutorial
cordially

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback.

Another winner Ben. Bravo! I appreciate the time it took to do this :grin: … a very useful tutorial.

1 Like

Thank you. Definitely one of my more time-consuming tutorials. Despite that, I wanted to show that this trick is possible with Shotcut in a roundabout way. Upping the production value for every new iteration is becoming a challenge.

1 Like

Oui je confirme, cela prend du temps.
J’ai appliqué cette technique pour faire des transitions à base de formes géométriques.

Yes I confirm, it takes time.
I applied this technique to make transitions with geometric shapes.

4 Likes

@namna, Amazingly good. Well done. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Le tutoriel de @bentacular est bien fait et nous permet de bien comprendre la procédure.
Quand on a compris c’est relativement simple, mais il n’en reste pas moins que 3 transitions de 2 secondes à 25fps cela fait 150 images à modifier dans Photoshop (ou équivalent)

The tutorial of @bentacular is well done and allows us to understand the procedure.
When you understand it, it’s relatively simple, but it’s still true that 3 transitions of 2 seconds at 25fps makes 150 images to modify in Photoshop (or equivalent)

1 Like

Great job! Very professional-looking

Sorry to be late for the party :slight_smile:
Another excellent one Ben. Loved it. I even learned a couple Photoshop tricks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Très bonne idée !

That’s a great idea !

Hey. A part of that tutorial I learned from you so, it’s all good! Usually, instead of deleting the area, I would apply a layer mask so I can blur the edges later if I need to.

1 Like

Agreed. Layer mask makes it so much easier to correct mistakes, adjust opacity and provides more accuracy.

1 Like

So… No one here use the pen tool ? IMO it’s the most accurate way of tracing around shapes. When the path is complete: Right-click > Make Selection and Add layer mask OR delete.

Old habits die hard. So used to using layer masks it’s difficult to switch plus it’s not destructive to the layer. All personal preference I suppose.

1 Like