HowTo sync video clips to beat in music files

Hi all,
unfortunately i couldn’t reply to other threads here asking the same question that i came across:
how can i sync my video cuts to the beat of an audio track?

I wrote a little tool that can insert short red colored dummy clips on a seperate track in a shotcut project for every timestamp from a textfile. And with audacity’s beat detection you can easily create such a beat_label.txt file.

It works with multiple audio tracks and files as you can choose for which song you want that labels to be processed.

I made a 5 min video explaining the solution and the way how to get there.
Video: Shotcut HowTo cut to the beat of music

If anyone is interested and you know where i can upload a small exe file (Windows only, will work with WINE) i will provide this tool.

6 Likes

I think if the exe file is small enough you might be able to upload it here directly if you add .txt as the extension.

1 Like

It certainly looks interesting. :clap: :+1:

1 Like

Hi @smartintech, I took a look at your tutorial video. It looks like it could be a very useful technique and I’d love to try it out, if you can upload your exe file here, following @drm 's advice above. Thank you for this.

1 Like

Hello,

To be in sync with the music, I generate a click track in audacity after selection of bpm, signature and number of bars, I export it as a wav file and import it in shotcut as an audio track. The clicks are very short, less than a frame width, and it is visualy easy to use. Of course I mute it, I only use the visual part.

7 Likes

@pfeuh - Another cool idea which I hadn’t thought of, so thanks for this idea!

I have a third option for music which has a steady beat -
Open a colour clip on a higher, unused track.
Position it above the music track and size it to the length of the first beat (drag the side edge).
Place the playhead at the right-hand edge of the clip (Alt/right arrow).
Hit C, then B many times.
You can then align your video clips to these “marker” clips.

That’s also a nice idea. But i wanted something to directely align the clips to.

I would be glad if it’s useful to you, as i was happy to follow your tutorials about animated text in videos :slight_smile:

No, I will not be hosting other people’s executables.

1 Like

I’m sorry. I wasn’t aware it was against your rules.

Sorry for that. I can understand.
If anyone has an idea where to upload LEGALY, let me know.

You could always put it on Dropbox, Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive and post the link.

I hope it is ok to host executables on G-Drive and to link them here.
Let me know if not.
AudioLabel2Shotcut.exe

Thank’s Elusien as well for your work with webvfx.

I haven’t seen anything in Google’s Terms and Conditions that would prevet you from doing this.

1 Like

Pretty cool workaround. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I found a misbehaviour of transitions when inserting my beat track between background and lowest video track. Shotcut even changed a lot of entries after saving my generated file.
So i changed this and put the beat track on top, making it “not show”.
When i compare the diff of the original MLT file and my generated one after removing the beat track in shotcut, there is no difference anymore. So i consider my tool to work properly.

Here is the new version 51 (i removed the link destination to the previous ver. 50)

AudioLabel2Shotcut.exe

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

I did some improvments to the tool.
Link on google drive shall remain the same (i used overwrite). So have a look on the revision number.
Revision 56 is now the current one and is working fine on my projects.

Changelog:

Rev 56:
Fixed markers to be only applied within the in and out position of the audio clip (no matter what in/out times of that audio)
Rev 55:
Beat markers will not be added to the marker track further than the outtime of the music clip.
Rev 54:
Changed the generated outfilename to append a “_withMarkers” to the .mlt file.
Also added increased playlist ids to allow multiple beat marker tracks for more than one song at once in a project after using this tool multiple times.
Rev 53:
Fixed memory allocation of a buffer that made it crash on long filenames.
Rev 52:
Can apply markers also when audio clip does not start from the very beginning.

I described how it works in the video at 0:39

Link to the tool on my G drive is the same as before:

Let me know, if you have any issues with it.
I hope this is useful to someone and i want to say thankyou for all your contributions here.

1 Like