Hi, today I was having problems while editing a video with 116 selected scenes in Shotcut. While playing the video in the timeline it was slow and would stutter at each video transition making it impossible for me to edit.
To continue the video edition with Shotcut I decided to take an approach that I already written in the forum about, proxy editing. Here are the steps I used to edit the full video with smaller files:
- With Shotcut, Avidemux or other similar tool convert the source videos to something named file_name-proxy.mp4 with a resolution 640x360 for 16:9 aspect ratio videos
- Use the *-proxy.mp4 files while editing your video within Shotcut and save a project-proxy.mlt file as usual
- When finished, copy the project-proxy.mlt to other name and use a text editor to remove the “-proxy” references in the mlt file
- Edit the header where you find width=“640” height=“360” to the final video resolution you want (this should automatically be overridden when exporting)
- Open the edited mlt file Shotcut and export the video with the configuration you want
I hope this helps someone while editing a more complex video with Shotcut. This should be good for everybody with computer performance problems or high resolution videos.