How to export the movie to be 1080 by 1080

At the moment the video sources I’m using are 1920 by 1080, but I used the Crop:Source filter so that both width and height are 1080. Now I need to adjust the export settings accordingly too, because the Resolution is 1920 by 1080, and the Aspect Ratio is 16:9.
I can’t figure out how to modify this.

Do not change the export settings. You will not get what you want.

You need to set the Video Mode to 1080x1080. Unfortunately, if you have already set up the crop filter, you might have to make adjustments after changing the video mode.

Ok, then which of these is 1080x1080?

Look under “Non Broadcast” and choose “Square 1080P” 30 or 60.

1 Like

I found it. So I selected Square 1080P to start a new file.
Then I imported a video that’s 1920p by 1080p.
Then in the Export settings I entered the info here below

But when I export a frame as PNG or as MP4 the resolution is still 1920 by 1080. What am I missing?

You should not need to change anything in the export settings. Those settings are only for very advanced uses. Your use is standard. If your Video Mode is set correctly, then the export will adopt all the correct settings from your video mode.

The only explanation I can think of for that is that your Video Mode is still 1920x1080 for some reason.

It worked now with these settings!

Thank you for your help Brian :slight_smile:

However, I still have to use the Crop:Source filter. Otherwise if I open it in MS Media Player it’ll look like 1920x1080, but its properties will show that it is 1080 by 1080, go figure!

If you don’t use Crop:Source the original rectangle footage will be shrinked to fit a square so there will be forced black bars on top and bottom. Crop will literally cut the edges of the rectangle video to make it exactly a square.

If you only need to crop one 1920x1080 video to 1080x1080, you can also use the Apply to Source feature of the Crop: Rectangle filter.

You can read more about this on the Crop :Rectangle page of the Documentation (scroll down to the Apply to Source section).