How-To Challenge: Animated concentric circles

:smiley:

En passant, j’ai fais une petite erreur en disant: “J’ai utilisé 5 pistes et un total de 6 filtres”.
La piste V1 est le fond (zéro filtre)
Une piste par cercle (4 cercles - 4 pistes) et il y a 2 filtres par cercle.
Donc, un total 8 filtres pour la partie 1.

By the way, I made a small mistake when I said: “I used 5 tracks and a total of 6 filters”.
Track V1 is the background (zero filters)
One track per circle (4 circles - 4 tracks) and there are 2 filters per circle.
So, a total of 8 filters for part 1.

A- HA!!
I’m on the case … I’m behind you guys but I figured out how to do it with filters (and rounded corners…). I think I must have had divine intervention… :wink: :smile:
No colours or background yet and I still have no idea abut how to do the dashed lines…

A- HA !!
Je suis sur le cas … Je suis derrière vous les gars mais j’ai trouvé comment le faire avec des filtres (et des coins arrondis…). Je pense que j’ai dû avoir une intervention divine… :wink: :smile:
Pas encore de couleurs ou d’arrière-plan et je n’ai toujours aucune idée de la façon de faire les lignes pointillées.

2 Likes

Yep! looks like you’re on the case indeed :slight_smile:

You still have about 12 hours ahead of you.
So no sleeping and put the flute away :smiley:

First part is done. Took me a while to figure it out. Great challenge.

Perhaps I cheated a bit as I used a 1:1 aspect ratio.
Total of 5 tracks for the circle animation.

The second part is now done. Added a bit of coloring.

5 Likes

Cool @Hudson555x!

I like the different line thickness and the uneven gap widths.

1 Like

Did you experience difficulties with a 16:9 ratio?

Not exactly, but I knew working with certain filters, 16:9 ratio is not ideal.

1 Like

Late to the party here, but better late than never, as they say (just as long as the alcohol is still being served!). Since I’m late, I decided to go straight to the end challenge.

One track per circle, 3 filters per track, but I haven’t yet worked out how to respect the rounded ends on the lines (I suspect my method is very similar to @Elusien, and that part involves a mask, which might be problematic).

Special characters to do the circle entered my mind for a brief moment but then I opted out.

1 Like

Got the idea from Logos by Nick.

You got the first part right. The rounded caps look a bit better, but are not mandatory.
You still have time to give a try at making the circles change colors while rotating :slight_smile:

I remember watching that video.
I think Shotcut support SVG files.
It would be interesting to create all the circles in Inkscape, then import and animate them in Shotcut.
The result would be a lot more complex looking.

Have another look at the orange inner circle! I know it’s quite fast, but it goes to green then fades into black (since you requested that colour specifically). I figured changing one was proof of concept, so didn’t apply it to the rest.

2 Likes

Aaah! Sorry. I missed that.

All good, that was partly my fault. I’m making the outer white circle change to a few different colours now so it’s more obvious and then I will re-upload. Honestly, until @Namna pointed out that little snippet to @jonray, the shape of the line ends weren’t even on my radar.

1 Like

Well that was an interesting exercise in frustration but I think I learnt something!

After going through nearly every 360 setting for almost an hour and using some internet resources, I am confident I finally managed to work out how you did this with so few filters and the slightly rounded end on the line. But the way I achieved this (and I have to assume it is something close to your method) means that on certain backgrounds with certain circle colours, there is a definite halo effect. Adding unpremultiply alpha helps a lot with that, but slightly diminishes the crispness of the lines. There may well be some setting I’m missing that can help with this (and that will annoy me given the time I spent on that stupid equirectile dysfunction setting) so I await with baited breath!

No unpremultiply:

With unpremultiply:

Reviewing them all again including my first effort, I have re-evaluated and actually like that last one the best.

2 Likes

Je constate que tout le monde a pu reproduire le défi.
Cependant nous n’avons pas du employer la même méthode, par exemple je ne comprend pas la demande d’utiliser au moins une couleur noire. Je ne vois pas de différence avec les autres couleurs.
Y aurait-il une méthode qui ne marche pas avec le noir ?

I see that everyone was able to reproduce the challenge.
However we did not use the same method, for example I do not understand the request to use at least one black color. I don’t see any difference with the other colors.
Is there a method that doesn’t work with black?

1 Like

Oui et félicitations à vous pour avoir été l’un des premiers à le compléter.
Je suis d’accord avec vous, car je n’ai pas trouvé de raison non plus (cependant, je parie que @MusicalBox en a une bonne !). Peut-être quelque chose à voir avec le chroma key ou le masque, mais je ne sais pas comment ? Quand le défi sera terminé, je suppose que nous le saurons.

Yes and congrats to you for being one of the first to complete it.
I agree with you, since I couldn’t think of any reason either (however, I bet @MusicalBox has a good one!). Maybe something to do with chroma key or mask, but unsure how? When the challenge is over I guess we will find out.

Damn, your circular ends are much better than mine!

1 Like

Excellent work from all!
This morning I managed to created a rotated circle with dashed line - but I’m sure it’s not the same method as @musicalbox’s …

Excellent travail de tous !
Ce matin, j’ai réussi à créer un cercle tourné avec une ligne pointillée - mais je suis sûr que ce n’est pas la même méthode que celle de @musicalbox

1 Like