Has Anyone Tried This Rotoscoping Workaround?

Finally, I did a comparison of Krita in W10 and Ubuntu Studio.
These are the results:

Loading is really fast in Ubuntu.

2 Likes

Well, it is hard work doing all this drawing. Might as well choose someone beautiful to draw on :wink:

3 Likes

More than 3 times faster… impressive

OT:
There are noticeable differences between my usage on W10 and Ubuntu.
Each has its importance in my recurring usage.
If I want to do a long photo, music or video editing session (and I don’t need proprietary software) I directly use Ubuntu Studio. It goes more smoothly (because in Ubuntu I do not use the resources that I have active in W10 as Onedrive and Office 365).
I don’t install too many programs in Ubuntu either, only the necessary ones and I think this avoids too much junk. On the contrary, in W10 I am always installing and uninstalling software.
For a long time I tried to set up a way to work with low latency audio in W10, but the use of ASIO takes over exclusively and only the use of Rearoute to route several ASIO audio applications has been a solution that has worked decently. This has taken me some time after trying several solutions. However in Ubuntu Studio, I discovered Carla and JackAudio and it is so easy to connect the various low latency inputs and outputs that I regret not discovering it some time ago.

1 Like

A silly question from someone who knows only Windows : Do you run both (Windows and Ubuntu) on the same machine, on two different hard drives maybe ?

There are no silly questions. I ask a lot, that’s how I learned and that’s how I offer it too.
I could go into a long explanation of why I did this, but in short, my original 120 GB SSD was too small with W10 and the software installed.
I bought a 480 GB SSD and migrated W10 to this new drive.
Then I thought I’d take advantage of the old SSD to run an alternative operating system. I found Ubuntu Studio, which was ideal for me.
So Ubuntu Studio is on that 120 Gb SSD.
When I turn on the computer I choose which operating system I want to boot.

1 Like

Sexy!

1 Like

Tried it the Photoshop way

2 Likes

Looks familiar :slight_smile: Where did I see that ?

1 Like

I long did it take ?

1 Like

An hour for 36 separate frames…total pain in the ass

1 Like

Imagine doing a cartoon the old fashion way, or an hour long stop motion animation

1 Like

I bet! I used to make flip books as a kid. It’s time consuming. What did you use to recombine the frames back?

1 Like

Shotcut. Import the first image and use that tool-that-I-don’t-remember-the-name in Properties

1 Like

Image Sequence…

1 Like

Yeah. I couldn’t remember either so I did it manually. I also tried to find a good ffmpeg code but failed

1 Like

well, next time you’ll know :smiley: that Image Sequence tool works super fast.

Krita’s not meant to be for the same purpose that Photoshop is for. That’s what GIMP is about. Krita’s a drawing and painting program with some photo manipulation functionality on the side.

For the rotoscoping/advanced masking functionality that you are looking for, you should check out Natron @bentacular. Natron was discussed before in @MusicalBox’s thread here.

@DRM you’re right, Krita and Photoshop are different. After trying it, I know that now. I first heard about it a month or so ago when it was mentioned on the TechGumbo YouTube channel in this video presenting free alternatives to Photoshop.

After reeding the Krita article shared by @bentacular, I was curious to see if it would be better than Photoshop at doing that masking transition I show in my video above. Turns out it’s not better (or worst in fact), so to me it was not worth learning how to master this new tool when I already know how to that stuff in Photoshop.

I noticed this difference of memory usage right after I first launched Krita, so I mentioned it to Ben because we were talking about maybe use it as an alternative or workaround for masking parts of a video.

I was also curious about that rotoscoping thing thought. So I tested Krita a little bit more and you can see the result of my first attempt in the masterpiece I shared in my other video above. Turns out that to be efficient doing it in Krita I would have to spend weeks or months learning how to use the software… when I already know how to do the same thing with Natron :slight_smile: