Has Anyone Tried This Rotoscoping Workaround?

I’ve never used Krita before, but sounds like a good workaround. They do use Shotcut in their example.

A few months ago I did something somewhat similar of what they show in the article, but with Photoshop.

https://streamable.com/gdpnj4

From Shotcut I exported as a jpeg sequence the part where the man walks in front of the screen, then imported each jpeg (30 images total) in photoshop to erase the left part of the background. Finally imported my modified images in Shotcut and did this transition.

I just downloaded Krita to test it. They say in the article you can use keyframes. That sounds interesting. It might speed up the process.
But damn… Another program to learn! :grin:

4 Likes

This is actually the effect I want to accomplish (chroma keying). I could care less about rotoscoping. The problem is having to key it frame by frame is a pain in the ass

1 Like

If I remember well, it took me around 45 minutes to process all 30 images.

2 Likes

It’s definitely a key professional functionality that would take Shotcut to the next level

2 Likes

Did you download Krita ?
The interface is nice. But look how much memory it takes compared to Photoshop.
Both freshly launched. Not working on anything yet.
krita

1 Like

Yikes. I’m staying with Photoshop

1 Like

Krita on Linux may perform better than on W10. Most software ported to W10 originally from Linux seems to run better on my Ubuntu Studio than on W10.
I was recently working with Darktable and while it ran smoothly in Ubuntu Studio, it was a bit of a problem in W10.
Something similar happens in startup speed and responsiveness with other software like Inkscape or even GIMP.
Perhaps I will do some comparative testing.

2 Likes

Thanks @ejmillan
Do you use Krita yourself ?
And if so have you tried that new Animation feature they mention in the article ?

2 Likes

I haven’t used Krita yet. I only opened it a couple of years ago when I was interested in animation and illustration (I did a quick tour of Synfig and Krita). Then my needs changed and I focused more attention on GIMP.
However, at first I was amazed how (using the same computer) the software I was using in Ubuntu Studio (a version focused on creating and editing video, music, illustrations and images), loaded extremely fast compared to the same versions in W10.
I didn’t delve into memory usage, or other more technical issues, but I noticed that the process was smoother on most of them.
So I have two SSDs (a 480 Gb for W10 and a 120 Gb for Ubuntu Studio). Each system has its advantages for my needs.
For example: Inskcape (vector graphics editor) can take 10 seconds to load the work screen on W10, while on Ubuntu Studio it takes about less than 2 seconds.
I’m currently a bit disconnected from all video effects because I’m trying to learn and understand about sound (which often seems like the little brother of video but is very important too).

2 Likes

So true ! In my opinion, sound is as important as video quality in a video or movie.

1 Like

Talking of sound, I was gifted some AirPod Pro’s for Christmas. After a firmware update the buds had spatial sound capability. Just the other day I discovered probably one of the best compilations of spatial sound channels on YT.

In conjunction with the noise cancellation my mind was literally blown.

Sorry for the off-topic but wanted to share.

1 Like

Aside from nearly having 5 or 6 heart attacks, this was great.
I wonder how different the experience is with headphones that have spatial sound capability.
I have good quality Sony stereo headphones and I could of course tell very well left from right. When he was supposedly in front or behind me, I only felt he was behind me, never distinctly in front. At one time I felt (or imagined) a sound clearly coming from above-left.
Anyways, even with stereo headphones, this was an interesting experience. Thanks for sharing.

I was listening in bed to the channel above. I sat bolt-upright, heart pound telling my wife that I thought someone was breaking into the house :joy: Seriously my heart was pounding out of my chest. I played it back on that same part, now aware of what to expect, I still thought someone was trying to break in :upside_down_face:

It’s immersive very immersive and yes you can feel him walking all around you, front, back, side, super up close to your ear. Throwing objects too going from front left to back right.

His experience is even better than the Dolby productions on YT as they tend to overwhelm the senses but the bass is very good on theirs.

2 Likes

Yes, these parts when he suddenly come very close to you and whispers into your ear was pretty intense too. Not heart attack material, but creepy.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this. It really is immersive and although I don’t have a headset with spatial sound capability either, I was at times nervous and with a raised heartbeat. It was strange.
I’m also like @MusicalBox. I have good Sony headphones and I couldn’t identify sounds clearly in the front. For me, it was always coming from behind.
I enabled spatial sound (Windows sonic - Dolby Atmos) but it made no significant difference to me.
Interestingly, I was trying to repair some old Sony MDR-W08. I am uncomfortable with other headphones and I want the bass to sound better. Although it is not the same quality, I will use a Sony MDRAS210APB for the repair, keeping the headband as a comfortable structure for me.

1 Like

@ejmillan I suppose you chose the Spanish language ? How was it ? I tried French at first, but his accent was too distracting. I had to switch to English.

Glad you enjoyed it. His YT productions are infrequent but they’re very good. I also listened on an X1 Carbon but in all honesty the experience was better on the iPhone. The sound was slightly impaired on the laptop, probably due to the Lenovo drivers that are an installation preference over Windows drivers.

Again, apologies for hijacking the thread. I’ll say no more on the subject.

@bentacular I made my first animation in Krita !
Drawing red lines over the body of a woman dancing.

I’m so proud ! :joy:

4 Likes

A …sexy movement :wink: