Has Anyone Tried This Rotoscoping Workaround?

I bet! I used to make flip books as a kid. It’s time consuming. What did you use to recombine the frames back?

1 Like

Shotcut. Import the first image and use that tool-that-I-don’t-remember-the-name in Properties

1 Like

Image Sequence…

1 Like

Yeah. I couldn’t remember either so I did it manually. I also tried to find a good ffmpeg code but failed

1 Like

well, next time you’ll know :smiley: that Image Sequence tool works super fast.

Krita’s not meant to be for the same purpose that Photoshop is for. That’s what GIMP is about. Krita’s a drawing and painting program with some photo manipulation functionality on the side.

For the rotoscoping/advanced masking functionality that you are looking for, you should check out Natron @bentacular. Natron was discussed before in @MusicalBox’s thread here.

@DRM you’re right, Krita and Photoshop are different. After trying it, I know that now. I first heard about it a month or so ago when it was mentioned on the TechGumbo YouTube channel in this video presenting free alternatives to Photoshop.

After reeding the Krita article shared by @bentacular, I was curious to see if it would be better than Photoshop at doing that masking transition I show in my video above. Turns out it’s not better (or worst in fact), so to me it was not worth learning how to master this new tool when I already know how to that stuff in Photoshop.

I noticed this difference of memory usage right after I first launched Krita, so I mentioned it to Ben because we were talking about maybe use it as an alternative or workaround for masking parts of a video.

I was also curious about that rotoscoping thing thought. So I tested Krita a little bit more and you can see the result of my first attempt in the masterpiece I shared in my other video above. Turns out that to be efficient doing it in Krita I would have to spend weeks or months learning how to use the software… when I already know how to do the same thing with Natron :slight_smile:

Hi @bentacular - at least I can help with the time-consuming task of exporting each image as a frame manually.

I wrote this Auto Hotkey script which exports and saves multiple frames automatically. (Windows only)
Try it! :
Right-click the ahk file and select “Run Script”.
In Shotcut, put the playhead at the beginning of a clip. Press Ctrl/q. It will export the first 2 frames. Note I use mouse positions in the script because I found the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl/shift/E unreliable. So you might need to change the mouse coordinates.

When you have tried it, delete the 2 frames it generated and try again with Ctrl/w, which is set to generate 12 frames. You can have a coffee while it works!!

Then you can change “12” to any number!
You can also change the script to name your exported files with any name of your choice, and also save as jpgs rather than pngs!

How it works:
The line of code

clipboard := Format("{:02}", ++i) ".png"

saves the file incrementally (adding an incremental number to the file). Cool heh!
Shotcut - EXPORT FRAME and SAVE incrementally - multiple frames.zip (704 Bytes)

I plan to write a dedicated post soon just about this.

Hello @jonray
Isn’t it more convenient to use the *Stills export option already built in Shotcut ?
1- Send a clip to the Source player (using the timeline Copy button)
2- Use the “i” and “o” keys to isolate the part to export
3- Export as Stills, choosing the format of your choice
4- Shotcut will export each frame as a separate image
And it’s lightning fast, no time to get up and prepare the coffee :smiley:

5 Likes

@MusicalBox - My goodness, that’s brilliant! I never knew that existed!! Oh well, doing it the AHK way gives a lot of satisfaction just watching the mouse zoom across the screen LOL!
Thank you so much. Good job you alerted me, I was thinking of doing a quick YouTube tutorial …

1 Like

You’re welcome @jonray.
This proves that even us mere mortals can show a thing or two to the Gods on Mount Olympus :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you share a video capture of that ?
I’d use it to replace the 8 hour long fireplace video I run on my TV in the living room :grin:

1 Like

LOL! Here you go! :grin::grin: Grateful thanks @bentacular for the HOT footage :rofl:

2 Likes

I can’t play the video @jonray. Not on my phone anyway. Something about copyright claim. :thinking:

1 Like

Hi @musicalbox - I’ve changed the music and replaced the link in the post above. Should work. Formerly I used Tchaikovsky’s Waltz of the Flowers but YouTube blocked it because of copyright :wink:

1 Like

Maybe someone needs to make a tutorial so it’s searchable…lol

2 Likes

It works well… but it must be a pain to keep looking at the screen all the time, hahaha. :laughing:

2 Likes

I got another one you can stare at

1 Like

En cette période de couvre feu, moi je cherche plutôt une vidéo en boucle d’une rue animée avec plein de circulation :sunglasses:

In this period of curfew, I’m looking for a looped video of a busy street with lots of traffic. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks ! So soothing. And captivating :grin:

I agree. Want to do it Ben ? :innocent:

Ce qui me manque un peu plus que les bouchons de circulation c’est la liberté de pouvoir aller chercher un Big Mac à minuit si j’en ai envie :stuck_out_tongue:

Traffic ? I miss even more the liberty I had of going out at midnight to go grab a Big Mac :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like