Crop Function gone?

I think you are misreading.
The filters are showing just for for others I have no idea why you don’t see them.

I think you’re mistaken because you don’t see the filter in the list of filter’s already used on your project.
You just see the filter applied to the selected item.
If you select the whole track, you see the filters added to the track.
If you select a clip, you see the filter applied to the clip selected only.

I had the same problem and could not add a crop filtering while the whole video track was selected on the timeline. No crop yet used on any clip. You need to select a clip from the track and then the crop filter is available for adding from the video filtering list. This is a bit unclear why the crop filter is not available for the whole track as you might want to add cropping to all clips at once… I have version 17.08.01 and Win 10.

Yes - select clip first and it works.
EDIT: Just found that you CAN apply filters to the whole timeline. It’s explained in THIS THREAD.

Regards
Jon

I’m a beginner how to select a clip

Regards
Gertje

Hi, In the timeline, just click the clip. A red boundary box will appear to show it’s selected.
Jon

Thank you.

I have don it.

The red box I see but no Crop function

How is that possible?
regards Gertje

OK Gertje,
Having selected the clip and it has a red boundary:
Go to the Filters tab.
(if you can’t see this tab, select “filters” on the top bar).
Then click on the plus sign.
You will see a list of filters. Crop is one of them…
Hope this helps…
Jon
(i tried to add some screenshots to this post to explain further but I waited for ages for the photos to upload then gave up…)

Hi Gertje,
Did you find the crop filter Ok?
Jon

Some filters can not be applied to a track or the entire timeline. It is only a very few that are prevented, but Crop is one of them. That is because this crop filter is like a “source edge cropping.” There are other kinds of cropping people would like such as one that leaves the original pixels in their place and pads with transparent black. This Crop filter is one that understands the source clip’s maximum resolution and will let you remove from edges while taking advantage of a clip or picture resolution that is larger than your project - 1920 x 1080, for example. Think about it in terms of a digital photo that is usually several megapixels higher resolution than a video. You would not want to scale it to fit within the video frame, remove edges, and then scale it up to fill as much of the frame as possible. You would not be taking advantage of all the possible resolution of the source clip/photo. So, Crop is designed to work with the source resolution to be optimize this situation. However, it is currently incompatible with the more abstract sources of “track” and “timeline”. This may change in the future, but we shall see.

I think that one use case is quite common:

You need to combine some clips taken in landscape and portrait mode. Adding a portrait box to a landscape video or vice versa could do that. I know that the result may have resolution issues but black edges are even worse to look at, I think.

I very carefully crop sourced writing on the bottom of my original before editing anything. I added Aspect ratio changes and they are still working. At some point, the source returned to showing the writing on the bottom even though my crop source filter shows my filter is active. What am I doing wrong? I’m on a deadline and the stress this has caused is awful.

It appears you are attempting to applying a filter to all clips selected. This will not work. The very first clip you have selected before selecting all has that crop filter applied to it, not all clips.

Deselect all clips by doing this.
shotcut_2021-10-04_10-47-47

Since you have already made a bunch of cuts, you’ll need to copy/paste each filter to each cut individually using the copy/paste buttons in the filter panel for each clip.
1= Copy 2= Paste
2021-10-04_10-52-07

If your source file wasn’t split, you can just apply the filter one time to the source, so when you start splitting them apart, or creating playlist items, the filter will be with each clip.

You don’t understand. They are all done. It was the first thing I did before cutting anything. Thus far, only one frame has actually accepted the filter. I looked at its properties, but they look identical to me to the other clips. I’ll be happy to deselect as you suggested, but the only reason I had that selected was a desperate attempt to get it to accept the entire source on one filter.

Here’s a picture. As you can see, the filter is at 72 on the bottom to cut off the words and the Aspect ratio is working on the sides. The filter does not activate except on that one clip I mentioned. I’ll try and find it and include that photo next.

Ok, here’s the one clip that’s doing it right:

In your first screen shot the play head and thus the frame that appears in the player is not from the selected clip (red rectangle in the timeline). Each clip object has its own set of filters. Double-click a clip to select and seek to it.

Go to a frame where the image is not correct and press Ctrl+Space. That selects the clip under the playhead. Now, look in Filters and what do you see? If Crop: Source is there with the correct parameter values, look in Keyframes to see if the filter has been trimmed accidentally or by some bug: