Chaptering Your Video Project in Shotcut to Streamline Your Editing and Avoid Losing Work

The main idea of chaptering is to break up your one project into “chapters” as separate MLT files. You can then tackle your video edits in parts, then combine it together later.

As part of my productivity series, one thing I love about chaptering is it helps me be more productive when I’m not in the mood to be productive. If you have a timeline that’s 2 hours long and you have those 2 hours all in one file. Sometimes it’s too daunting to look at and I wouldn’t even know where to start that day. But, If I had broken down my work into chapters of say 15 minutes a piece,
I can just tell myself, just get this 15 minute piece done.

I did notice after switching to a different computer how inconsistent the sound is. I really need to start using Audacity more…

10 Likes

+1 :+1:

1 Like

+2 :+1: :+1:
:grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks!

Thank you

Great Job!

1 Like

+4 :+1: :+1:

1 Like

J’aime bien vos dernières vidéos, grâce aux sous-titres en français c’est plus facile pour moi.

I like your latest videos, thanks to the French subtitles it’s easier for me.

1 Like

My workflow is based on what you have shown in the video. When I work with a lot of clips and tracks, it’s sometimes overwhelming, however organizing and grouping the editing into smaller pieces (you call them chapters), gets kinder.
Good work. :+1:

1 Like

Great minds think alike! I typically combine using both techniques depending on the size of the final clip. I find concatenate way takes up less CPU resources

1 Like

I have to give my French visitors some love

Thank you!

Thank you sir!

1 Like

+10 :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

1 Like

Ben, what a timely and helpful tip! I immediately put it to use today and it was a huge help in streamlining an edit I needed to make.

2 Likes

Amazing! I’m glad it worked for you!

1 Like

I did notice after switching to a different computer how inconsistent the sound is. I really need to start using Audacity more<

As a Shotcut and video newbie, I’m curious why switching to a different computer would change the sound. And what is Audacity?

It didn’t change the sound when I switched computers. My other computer has better speakers so I can tell the difference more and how inconsistent the volume is. Audacity is a free software that can edit sound

Thanks, got it.

1 Like

Here’s an example of a video I combined as a result of chaptering…

2 Likes