Making one video out of clips from different projects

Hello. So I have cut 2 seperate videos into shorter clips. I have 2 projects saved and I would like to create one long video by inserting the clips from one video into empty spaces from another. When I open the video project 1 from the recents, it opens at V1 as I saved it - split at playheads in the places where I marked it. But when I open video project 2 from recents (added to playlists, added video track and inserted to V2) - it opens as a one long merged video. All of my splits have disapeared. Although when I open it as a V1, it has all the splits in all the right places. Also it is being placed weirdly, creating huge empty gap in other timeline but when I remove it, V2 disapears from its timeline. What am I doing wrong? Why all my splits are gone in V2? Why is that gap being created and my V2 disapears after deleting it? I am very new to it. It is my first editing attempt. How can I create 1 video by inserting from 2 different split videoclip tracks? Is there any good tutorial? Please, help

Hello:
You drag the project (.mlt file) into the playlist.
This is not the same as opening the project file with all the splits.
You are opening MLT XML as a clip
This means that all the tracks of that project are combined into one clip with the effects and so on.

1. Secondly, it looks like you have ripple enabled on all tracks (in my example I show you where that icon is enabled, in your video I don’t see that icon above the timeline).

I hope this is useful.

https://shotcut.org/tutorials/

Thanks for the answer. How am I supposed to open both projects on the timeline, so they have all the splits I created to merge all the tracks together alternately at splits into one video? Also if I save all the pieces and export and then open from the files in playlist, am I loosing on quality by exporting? How do I work on mlt projects instead of exported tracks?

Vous pouvez faire ceci
You can do this
https://forum.shotcut.org/t/chaptering-your-video-project-in-shotcut-to-streamline-your-editing-and-avoid-losing-work/24375

Mais vous ne pouvez pas faire ce que vous souhaitez
But you can’t do what you want to do

1 Like

Thanks! This really worked out well for me. I had no idea you were able to drag project files into the playlist and then combine them in the timeline; I had to first make them the source before I could drag them to the timeline. This is very helpful with an ongoing project and avoids multiple compression of the earlier materials.

Thanks,
r.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.