Can you take out wind noise?

Used this to remove traffic noise (a car passing by briefly). It worked great!

1 Like

You probably dont mean MHz? :slight_smile: This should be just Hz i guess :wink:
But you repeat the MHz again and again, so i got confused…

1 Like

Yeah, I’m so focused on the translator that I didn’t notice this, hahaha.
I’ll correct it now.

I’ve shot a lot of videos in the wind.
besides what has already been said.
Get a directional mic with a dead cat and shoot with the wind.
In other words, the subject is facing the wind.
When the wind is hitting the side or front of the microphone it’s louder.

I have tried a ton of VSTs for this very problem.
The best one by far is a plugin called ReaFIR.
It’s in this set of plugins, ReaPlugs VST FX Suite, Its free, or it used to be.
Here is a Youtube video on using Reafir.
Removing Background Noise in REAPER (ReaFIR)
Search for that. He is using Reaper software, but how to use the plugin is the same.
One critical point. Your audio must be louder than the wind noise for that plugin to work.
It actually subtracts (removes) what you tell it to.

I get zero noise after using this but there must be a separation between the noise and your audio.
Sorry I didn’t provide links. I’m not allowed to.

5 Likes

Yes? My answer is an uncertain one because if there’s enough wind noise you’re not going to be able to do much about it, particularly if that noise is happening at the same time as your vocals.

If not, you’re in luck and if using the techniques others have suggested don’t work you might try exporting the audio prior to Shotcut into an audio editor like Audacity (which is free, btw) treat it there, then import it back into Shotcut.

Though be aware that you can over work audio, flattening vocals and essentially draining the life from them.

1 Like

It is possible to combine Audacity with the VST Reaper plugins.
Reaplugs
Just download the 32-bit VST plugins and Audacity will be able to handle them.
ReaFir is a very complete plug-in with several modes of use.
It is not necessary to use Daw Reaper for this if you are more comfortable with Audacity.

In the example, I used the subtract option to obtain a noise profile. This option exists directly in Audacity but the ReaFir plugin has a more complete interface.

I did not test specifically for wind. I just want to show how it is possible to use free VST 32-bit plugins in Audacity.

2 Likes

I’ve used Audicity and its just fine for something like this.

Another thing to point out. In Reafir you can let it build the noise profile. But you can also draw it in yourself. Very powerful.

I’ve done a lot of screen recording with OBS studio (older version 32bit) and you can add Reafir in to the effects chain and kill low level noise on the fly. So you don’t have to “f” with it later.

1 Like

I would use Audacity for that.

I have been using High Pass at 150hz on every video. It makes the sound less boomy and also sounds little better on those tinny mobile speakers.

However I dearly with a Proper Noise reduction (Like audacity) feature would come here.

Thank you for the information.
I did not delve much into the use of this add-on.
I usually choose Reaper over Audacity (there is even a Linux version). Although it was not mandatory, I finally paid for a license, and for somewhat more complex projects it is my choice.

Some of my projects require stretching or shrinking the audio to sync with a video. In Reaper, I can look at the video, lip movements, events associated with a sound, etc., and accommodate the dubbing audio to fit the remastered video.

About OBS. I found that the option to include external 32-bit VST plug-ins was very useful for recording exercises for my electric bass teacher. So I have an on-screen VST tuner for that.

In Linux, it is possible to connect the Shotcut audio output to a plugin loader (Carla) via the Jack low latency audio engine. It is possible to put an analyzer module, an EQ, or any other plug-in and listen to the result, so you can get better audio for your needs.

2 Likes

I didn’t know Reaper would stretch or shrink audio like that.
Whats happens to the video that you would need to do that?
Is it that you have recorded the audio on a separate recorder?
But still, wouldn’t they be the same?

Example: making overdubbed audio from one language match a video that was spoken by actors in a different language.

Also for making parody/cover videos where an amateur vocalist is trying to match a commercial track and misses by a little bit, but that was their best take so you gotta keep it.

Or to help an amateur rapper get all their random verbiage in before the chorus starts… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

As @Austin comments, it may be one of those options.
My case is as follows:
I have a TV series that was dubbed into Spanish at the time (mono audio).
Then there was a remastered release in HD and 5.1 channel audio, but there is no Spanish dub.
With Reaper, I can synchronize the Spanish dubbed audio track with the HD remastered video.
I can also replace the center track where the original voices are with the dub track, keeping the rest of the tracks for music and effects.

It is an arduous task but I wanted to know if I could do this kind of thing.

Thank you both for your replies, that’s really cool.

That Reaper program looks interesting. Seems like another perfect companion for Shotcut. Even if it’s not free, I think 60$ is a reasonable price.

Also, I loved that show you’re working on. One of my favorite Sci-Fi TV series in the late 70’s
In french it was called Cosmos: 1999

Also, it’s funny to see this post becoming popular, but we still don’t know if it was useful to the original poster :slight_smile:

We let the wind blow us away. :wink:

1 Like

I hope we helped the OP.
If not, the only other thing I can relate about wind noise is what my mother told me when I was young.
Always say excuse me.

1 Like

or… blame the dog

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.