From .ts to .mp4: exported files have frozen/jumping video

Hi, (a beginner here)

I just finished cutting&converting files from my Sat-Receiver (.ts-Format) via “Youtube”-Preset to mp4. (cutting: took the overhead before and after the recordings, and ad-brakes out).

Unfortunatly, all the files have “jumping images”; audio is fine, but the video seems to “freeze and then jump”, every two to three seconds. Also, the files all had about 600MB Filesize, eventough input-material has been 720 x 576 (length: about 40 min; it’s an old series that’s not available on Region2-DVD, so i want to keep the recorded episodes in files “as small as a good picture-quality allowes”)

I used following export-settings (sry, i run the program in german and my english’s not the best):
Resolution: 720x576
Ratio: 4:3
Frames/Se 25.000
progressive mode
bottom fiel first
YADIF (zeitlich und räumlich)
interpolation: bilinear

Codec:
libx264
VBR
60%
GOP 13
B-Frames 2
Codec Threads 0

Audio:
48000hz
aac
AVR

Input-Material:
.ts, 720x586, received via DVB-S
(no issues with the source-material, VLC plays them without problems)

System:
Linux Mint 18.1, Shotcut 17.02.05

…any hints or tips on “how to convert correctly”?
(lucky for me, source-material (and plenty of time) is still available to redo the work)

Thanks for your help!

I’m seeing a recurring pattern that Shotcut has been finicky with handling .ts files…
It could be a coincidence or it could be something else, Honestly I’m not very knowledgeable on this subject but here are some related posts I could find.

I’m not really sure about any of this though, I hope this can be convenient for others at least.

Hi lauren

Unfortunatly, these threads don’t help; one suggests exporting to mp4 then applying filters aso - issue: my problem occurs when exporting to mp4…

But one other thing that occured: getting a cut-point was difficult, shotcut didn’t show the correct frame unless a few seconds have been played back…?

…what is the recommended procedure when trying to use/convert .ts-files? (pls. don’t tell me “use adobe premiere” :wink:

I use Project X to cut out commercials from my .ts recordings:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/project-x/

Gave Project X a chance a long time ago (2014 i think), wasn’t too happy with…
Used Avidemux instead; but there, the format is not always recognized…

So essentially, it boils down to “convert the .ts-files to another format, and edit from there”?

Yes, since shotcut is having problems with these file types. You could also just load them into Handbrake, convert them to .mp4 with the highest quality/file size you are comfortable with, and then bring those into shotcut for editing.

I often do nearly the same job, that is: joining DVB .ts chunks into one (copy /B or cat is better than editing), then removing the overhead and ad-brakes and re-encoding if some cuttings are not on an I-frame), but, though I love Shotcut, I never use it for this.

Avidemux does this job much more easily, and if you cut everything on I-frames (which is not always feasible with x264/65) and you don’t crop black bars or remove logos, you don’t need to re-encode.

Maybe you could help me out with Avidemux, Francois?

I wasn’t very happy with the results i got there; often, the Screenratio has gotten screed up, and the filesize has been way to big (converting a 4GB .ts (SD-Record, about 1:40h) to mp4 left me with a >1GB file and realy bad image-compression (visible loss)…

What Options do I need to use to get it converted to …say mp4 (small files with good quality)?

(I’d like to save the Files a) on a few DL-DVD for storage, and b) on my mediaserver; therefore, .ts with its large need for space isn’t the format to choose :wink:

Sorry, I did not notice your question before.

I generally use the mkv container instead of mp4, but this does not change video and audio encoding.

As I don’t care about file size (I save my videos on HD and blu-ray discs), I get generally rather large files (from 1.8 to 4 Gb for an 1:30h video); I hove not processed SD for a long time, but I think size was about 0.8 to 2 Gb), and I choose MPEG4 AVC x264) without changing the default settings of Avidemux 2.6 (now 2.7): the quality of the result is good. With an i7, the conversion is done at about 25 frames/s (encoding takes nearly as long as watching the video), when I use one or two plug-ins like cropping the black bars and removing channel logo.

About screen ratio, Avidemux assumes that pixels are square. If you don’t resize an 1440x1080 anamorphic 16:9 image to 1920x1080 while encoding, you will need to remux with MkvToolnix, specifying the video aspect ratio in the appropriate box; you can use an equivalent mp4 muxer if it exists or edit to mkv with MkvToolnix then remux to mp4 – which I do when making videos for my grandson’s Apple tablet.

We no longer have SD TV in France (officially: some channels are still surreptitiously broadcast in SD!), but our SD TV video streams used to be 720x576 or even 480x576 (that is, old SVCD mpeg2 format!), and they needed an anamorphic display too. In those times, I preferred to keep the original MPEG-2 format without re-encoding, because MPEG 2 has about 2 I-frames in a second, so that you always could cut the video on I-frames without re-encoding. It took only seconds, but the file size was the same as that of the HD AVC files I make now.