Weird text rendering when tilde (~) included in the text


I added a text filter with “~” tilde character included.

It works fine on my Mac, however, the text rendered weird in my Ubuntu 16.04.
“~” is not rendered but also the font size and line break applied randomly.
I suspected if it is font issue, so I experimented with other fonts, but the results were same.

Please see my sample MLT attachment.

target.mlt (3.9 KB)


  • Shotcut latest version (18.05.08), using melt 6.7.0
  • Mac 10.13.3 (Works fine)
  • Ubuntu 16.04. (Weird rendering)

On Mac: (normal)

On Linux: (abnormal)

I do not reproduce this. Where did you get this Linux build of Shotcut, and how are you launching it? For some reason it is not preferring the Qt-based text producer and falling back to the GTK one, which has this problem. We can address that, but I also wonder why it is not using the Qt producer.


It seems that the problem caused because I used “melt” CLI executable to generate the video in Ubuntu Server in AWS EC2. (It’s not desktop computer with graphic device).
When I run “qmelt” on this server, it exited with the following error.

QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
Aborted (core dumped)

So I used “melt” for video generation instead of “qmelt” executable.

Now I realized that “qmelt” use Qt-based rendering and “q” meant Qt.
Am I right?

If I am right, It seems that I should use “qmelt” for correct rendering of texts, however, is it possible to run “qmelt” in a linux server without display & graphic device?

Here are my steps to reproduce this issue.

  1. I use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

  2. sudo snap install shotcut --classic

  3. Install dependencies

     sudo apt-get install \
                 libsdl2.2 \
                 libgtk2.0-0 \
                 libgl1-mesa-glx \
                 libxml-libxslt-perl \
                 libgomp1 \
                 libsamplerate0 \
                 libjack0 \
                 libltdl7 \
                 libtheora0 \
                 libxv1 \
  4. run

    melt target.mlt

That explains the results you see. There are multiple threads about using qmelt in a headless environment. Here is one:

Thank you very much for the information.

I installed “xvfb” with following command.

sudo apt-get install xvfb

Then, run qmelt with xvfb-run command.

xvfb-run -a /snap/shotcut/current/ target.mlt

Now it works like a charm!

Also, we fixed the tilde problem in the pango text producer for the next version 18.06.