Videos not playing properly

Hi,

I installed shotcut for the first time in 2019 and did a bunch of basic editing (my first time ever doing anything like that). Now this year, with the same version installed (I think), videos do not play properly when I try to make a new project. I’ve actually forgotten whatever little I knew about how to use this software, but I will like there is definitely something wrong. I uninstalled it and re-downloaded the latest version, but I still have the same problem. I open the file, and the sound works ok, but the playback slowly goes from one frame to another (skipping a bunch in between). It basically plays like a powerpoint presentation with a soundtrack. At some point the sound stops working too. Help ??!

I had similar issues on my previous computer. In my case, the hardware (processor, memory, etc) wasn’t capable of playing back videos smoothly in Shotcut.

If this is your scenario, you could help the computer by closing every other program as you edit.

In the end, I had to buy a new PC. Oh well. It’s only money!

1 Like

Can I suggest you turn on the “use Proxy” setting.
This will mean you use lower resolution copies of videos displayed while while editing.
The export will still be using the originals.

1 Like

@Shahin: can you tell us the specs of your computer (type, CPU, GPU, OS, RAM).
Its probably due to hardware constrains and you should definetly try the suggestion of Roger to use
the proxy. Also set the preview quality of your down: settings - preview scaling - to 360p or 540p. This will help SC react more fluently. Maybe you also have an issue with the proxy settings.

On my laptop (Thinkpad P50 with 16 GB RAM, 4 core mobile CPU) i also have slight issues when i use larger preview scaling but all is gone when i activate the proxy rendering. This will create smaller versions of your clip just for the sake of faster scrubbing.

1 Like

Intel i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60 GHz 2.60 GHz

Ram 6.00 GB , 5.58 GB usable

64 bit OS with x64-based processor

I’m using Windows 10 Pro. Could that be the issue ? I installed it on June 25th 2020, for free from Microsoft, because Windows 7 was no longer supported. So when I used Shotcut with Windows 7, it was working fine. I have version 2004, OS build 19041.450. with some feature experience pack with a string of numbers. It’s a Lenovo ThinkPad L430.

@RilosVideos @Roger_Leitch I turned on proxy settings, closed all other programs, and reduced preview scaling to 360p, but it didn’t solve the problem. Honestly the only difference I can think of between now and the beginning of the year is that I switched OS. It was working fine before. Unless something in the computer has degraded or I have less memory. I upgraded to a SSD when I bought the laptop. Maybe there is a hardware upgrade I could do to fix this issue ?

Try the different options in Settings > Display Method

Woohoo ! I raised my arms and shouted : “Yes!”

DirectX works. Thank you @shotcut ! I guess that’s why you’re the leader :smile:

thank you to everyone else as well, now I can get back to my wedding video :partying_face:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.