V20.10 BETA now available for test

Text: Rich
Font does not change.
I don’t know if this problem existed before.

Downloaded the nightly build (portable) and can confirm it appears to be fixed. Thank you.

I think in future I will use the portable version for beta testing, leaving the current version in place should I need it.

Yes, the slider; that is fixed.

Fade in Video Problem

I have a fade in Video filter set to 15 frames (opacity not ticked).
I expected the background and video to fade in over 15 frames.

Video starts frame 16, and the blue background (from the Crop and Size/Position/rotate Filters) also appears at frame 16.
The video appears in the black box area at frame 1:07
Neither the background or the video fade in.
The video appears suddenly after the end of the fade in period.
Same seen in exported video.

Using last nights build. Project is 30fps, source file is 25fps.

I do not understand your problem report. You should try to simplify it or reproduce it another simpler way, but first you should verify that it exists only in this beta version and not the previous version.

Using last nights build.

You should report the number that appears in the Help > About Shotcut dialog. Maybe you downloaded the version before “last night’s” started or finished.

This is fixed.

By the way, picking Scroll to Playhead isn’t reflected in the keyframes timeline. It’d be great if it does.

I reinstalled 20.09.27 and also checked using Portable Version 10.10.21.

Apologies - the problem was the same with both versions.

Checked my source video and there were 20 frames of black/no video at the start.

It does look like when there is no video, then the fade in filter does not do anything, because there is nothing for it to work on.
However this means the fade in filter also does not work on the background colours created by the other filters on the track.
These simply appear at the start of the fade in.

Solution is Video and filters must always start together.

Thanks for your fast response and your patience.

This is new but fixed now. Thanks!

If you drag a video file with variable frame rate from the file manager directly to the timeline, along with the Convert to Edit-friendly menu a progress window shows up on top of it and won’t go away unless you manually close it.

Not new to this version, and I have not found a fix.

Dragging a video file with variable frame rate directly to the playlist does not trigger the Convert to Edit-friendly menu.

@shotcut - I tested the new centering zoom with the nightly build and it’s a vast improvement in my opinion so thanks.

I was wondering if it would be much hassle to provide a keyboard shortcut for the “Center the Playhead” menu option? I’d love to be able to toggle this feature on and off more easily than having to go into the menu each time. I could then set up an AutoHotkey script to assign it to a really easy single keypress such a numberpad 9. No worries if you reject this though, I can live without it! :wink:

• Save a custom layout that does not include any of the video vector scopes. Now click on the Color layout then select that saved custom layout. The video vector and video waveform scopes get carried along to that saved custom layout.

• How about having “Scroll to Playhead on Zoom” selected as the default for brand new users?

• I don’t know if that’s because of the fact that these are portable but there is an issue with these nightly builds where closing and restarting Shotcut doesn’t keep the layout how you left it in terms of moving and resizing panels. I don’t mean saved custom layouts.

• That’s a nice touch with the lines above and below the keyframe button in Size, Position & Rotate to indicate what that one keyframe covers:

How about adding those lines also to that one keyframe in Corner Pin?

The video vector and video waveform scopes get carried along to that saved custom layout.

Have not reproduced.

How about having “Scroll to Playhead on Zoom” selected as the default for brand new users?

OK

closing and restarting Shotcut doesn’t keep the layout

Have not reproduced. This suggests Shotcut is crashing at exit before it can save the layout. You can get the log before restarting Shotcut to see what happens at close. It should be like:

[Debug  ] <MainWindow::closeEvent> begin 
[Debug  ] <Database::shutdown> tell worker to quit 
[Debug  ] <Database::shutdown> quit thread 
[Debug  ] <Database::shutdown> wait for thread 
[Debug  ] <Worker::run> database closed 
[Debug  ] <Database::shutdown> end 
[Debug  ] <MainWindow::closeEvent> end 

It might be specific to a certain project that make is crash upon close.

How about adding those lines also to that one keyframe in Corner Pin?

Not at this time due to priorities. There are actually about 6 other filters that have a keyframes button that spans more than one row, but they only span 2 rows. When a button is between rows it is fairly obvious. However, in this filter it was changed to span 3 rows and then it was not obvious.

Yeah that’s why I suggested the Corner Pin filter because there are so many rows that the one keyframe covers.

Any chance on getting Scroll to Playhead to also work on the keyframe timeline?

Have you reproduced this:

Dragging a video file with variable frame rate directly to the playlist does not trigger the Convert to Edit-friendly menu.

Done
Center the Playhead: Ctrl+Shift+P
Scroll to Playhead on Zoom: Ctrl+Alt+P
Toggle both: Ctrl+Shift+Alt+P

Done

Any chance on getting Scroll to Playhead to also work on the keyframe timeline?

Done

If you drag a video file with variable frame rate from the file manager directly to the timeline, along with the Convert to Edit-friendly menu a progress window shows up on top of it and won’t go away unless you manually close it.

Fixed

I made some changes with respect to Playlist in this area, but what you describe is only possible for when you drag a VFR video into Playlist of an empty project because it also opens it in the Source player. VFR detection only occurs in the Properties panel for an A/V clip (because it is a heavy process). And if you drag to playlist, normally it does not change what is in Source or selected in Timeline. However, I did make a change so that if you open a playlist item into Source or drag a playlist item to the Timeline, it will show the VFR conversion dialog once per file.

1 Like

Wow, excellent news, THANKS!

1 Like

Fantastic work, @shotcut. :slightly_smiling_face:

What will happen when more than one VFR file is brought down at the same time from the playlist to the timeline via multi-select? Will it just be one VFR conversion dialog that covers them all?

No. Only if one happens to become selected at the end of the operation. As soon as another VFR is selected and its Properties becomes active the dialog appears.