V20.06 BETA is available

Rules of Participation (Important)

• We are only interested in major regressions over recent versions (v19.12 and newer).
  • We are also interested in major bugs in new features and changes specific to this release.
  • Do not report about existing bugs that have not been indicated as fixed by this version.
  • Not everything reported will be fixed before release; only what the developers consider critical.
    We are not trying to fix everything possible during the beta but only the most critical, blocker bugs.
  • Provide all feedback as a reply within this thread or as a GitHub Issue.
    If using a GitHub issue, make sure you indicate the version.
  • The beta period will end by June 20 (but possibly sooner).
  • There will only be another beta released if there is a critical problem that needs confirmation from testers after the fix.
  • The actual release may add some low risk fixes and additions (e.g. new preset) over the beta.

Download

Get the beta release from this GitHub page that also includes the list of fixes, changes, and additions.

Thank You For Your Help!

2 Likes

This is a massive release. Thanks Dan!

If “Text: HTML” is being deprecated (presumably because of WebVfx being deprecated), then would “Crop: Rectangle” be on the deprecated list as well? The “resource” tag in the MLT XML makes a reference to WebVfx files.

The plan is to rewrite some of the filters to not use HTML, and there will be a project repair process to replace the webfx mlt_service with the new one.

1 Like

Every time I choose Use Proxy under Settings or press F4 it does nothing except produce this message:

Ugh, I forgot to test proxy much in Windows. :rofl: Did most of the work on this in Linux. I will have to post a new beta soon. In the meantime, you have to toggle this with nothing opened. You just will not be able to test the behavior of toggling that with a project opened.

UPDATE: fixed for the next version

3 Likes

Hello,
Thanks for the integration of the use of proxies.

• The progress bar when creating the proxy does not work. It remains on 0% all the time of the conversion then passes directly to 100% when the conversion is finished.
  • The proxy is created in a format unreadable by Quicktime. However VLC can read it.

Format proxy

• The original being in 60 fps and the project in 30 fps I think the proxy should be encoded in 30 fps which would reduce its size even more. (it is encoded in 60 fps like the original). Maybe add a dialog allowing the user to choose the encoding framerate of the proxy between original or final project (checkbox)

• After applying the “Rotate and scale” filter, the result after export is different from the project. See below the difference in cropping between the SC preview and the exported video.

Mac OSX 10.11.6

1 Like

About the new “Slideshow” feature

Would it be possible to accept decimal values for the duration of the transition, I would like to be able to obtain transitions of less than 1 second.

The conversion of images to proxy was blocked after the first image was converted.

Here’s the journal

Journal.txt (993 Bytes)

Mac OSX 10.11.6

This is a known issue with the X and Y offset parameters reported with Preview Scaling that is not yet fixed.

The proxy is created in a format unreadable by Quicktime.

I know; it does not accept AC-3. I will not be changing that.

The original being in 60 fps and the project in 30 fps I think the proxy should be encoded in 30 fps

Proxies are often not project specific, reducing speed would not be smooth as expected, and people may change their project’s frame rate. This will not be changed.

The progress bar when creating the proxy does not work

It works for me on all my systems including macOS. This is the same progress reporting when using Convert and similar to what is used for Reverse and Export. Probably related to below…

The conversion of images to proxy was blocked after the first image was converted.

I have not reproduced that on macOS. Are you certain that you did not accidentally click Pause in Jobs? (The button state can be difficult to see on dark theme.) For which job does Journal.txt represent?

You seem to be leaking Qt signals/events. Do you have more than one instance of Shotcut running? I have seen similar things happening with more than one Shotcut running, but I do not know why. It is an old problem.

I updated the Windows downloads on the beta page with last night’s build that contains the fix for this.

2 Likes

So I’m testing the fixed version and there are some initial thoughts I have in regards to proxies:

• When I press F4 expecting to be able to toggle in and out of proxy mode it interrupts with this message:

So I’m wondering: Is there any actual capability to toggle in and out of proxy mode here? It doesn’t seem like there is. When I press F4 and choose No it doesn’t switch. It just stays on the original source file. I’m expecting a simple and quick toggle function for proxy mode as is the case in other editors.

• If I put in a video that doesn’t have a proxy and I choose to make one the above message comes up. When I choose Yes though Shotcut then closes while it’s creating the proxy. This is confusing as it makes it seem as if it crashed or it was accidentally closed. Can’t Shotcut stay open while the proxy is being created? That way you can see the progress bar of the proxies being created and know when it’s done.

• I understand that there is an attempt to simplify the process but I think that certain things aren’t intuitive like having the proxy resolution be whatever preview scaling resolution is active at that point and if no preview scaling is on then it just does 540p. Why? Who is going to expect that they have to first turn on the preview scaling to pick the specific proxy resolution? It’d be much clearer and simpler to just give the choice to the user of 360p, 540p or 720p in the proxy menu.

• There’s no codec options for proxy generation. There are some codec options for Convert to Edit-friendly. Why not for proxies?

• In Properties, shouldn’t the proxy feature be it’s own button alongside Reset, Reverse and Convert? It’s arguably going to be used far more often then those other buttons in Properties so it should be more visible and quicker to get to.

It works for me. Of course, if there are are no proxies, then it cannot use the proxies.

When I choose Yes though Shotcut then closes while it’s creating the proxy.

Why? Did it crash? I have not reproduced a crash here.

Can’t Shotcut stay open while the proxy is being created?

Yes of course. It must.

things aren’t intuitive like having the proxy resolution be whatever preview scaling resolution is active

That is the way I want it, and it makes perfect sense to me. Now is not a time to redesign it, and I will not.

There’s no codec options for proxy generation.

Read the docs. I am not adding that now.

This happens when proxies have already been made. There doesn’t seem to be any toggling and that message always pops up. If there is meant to be toggling can the F4 shortcut key and the create a proxy mode be separated? It’s annoying to want to toggle in and out and have to be interrupted with that message.

It’s not that it’s crashing. Shotcut literally closes then runs in the background to create the proxy.

Are you testing this on the Windows version?

I have. Are you talking about the Copy Hash Code thing? If I create a proxy file outside of this feature, then I have to copy that hash code and use it as the name of the file for it to be recognized as its proxy?

1 Like

Then, it is crashing. I am testing on Windows as well, and maybe I will reproduce it during my testing if you cannot figure out under what conditions it fails. Testing and debugging takes considerable time, which I do not have much of anymore.

This happens when proxies have already been made. There doesn’t seem to be any toggling and that message always pops up.

I just found a bug when using a project folder and Settings > Proxy > Storage > Use Project Folder is enabled. It is creating proxies in the wrong sub-folder. Maybe it is related to your problem, but I did not reproduce it. This is fixed for the next version.

Since Shotcut has crashed on you with a bunch of proxies queued, it will leave a bunch of “.pending.” proxy files. These pending files prevent redundant proxy jobs from being queued but also they are not valid proxies and will prevent a new proxy job until you either a) clean it from the proxy folder or b) use Properties > Proxy > Make Proxy. I will think about how detect and remove orphan pending files.

There is no problem for me since SC can read it. It was just to alert you to a possible conversion problem.

I understand that a proxy can be used in several projects. Since we have 2 storage folders, SC could automatically decide which framerate to use.
The framerate of the original if the global folder was chosen, or the framerate of the project if the project folder was chosen.

Since you’re not reproducing it, it must be coming from my system.
For me it’s systematic, below is the problem.
Diapo

Hi Dan, I just tried to create a slideshow using the slideshow generator for the first time using photos with odd dimensions. Each photo is a screen capture using the snipping tool so they all have slightly different dimensions - for example the first image is 1772x815

I also have proxy and preview scaling set at 360. Two problems:

1. Not all images were converted to proxy. Several failed apparently at random (see at 1:36 in video below).

2. Also in playback after the slideshow was created there was an issue with image sizes (watch from 1:36). Rather than describing, I made a screen capture using ShareX for you to view. Here is the original screen capture (unedited) I made :

Hope this is helpful. Could it be to do with the images being of non-standard dimensions?

I just did a test using the new proxy feature.

For information, I thought a report on how it went would be useful. I :

1. imported 18 mp4 clips of Venice (average clip duration approx 10 seconds). Result: clips added to playlist fast. No problems.

2. Selected: Use proxy, preview scaling = 360.

3. Selected all clips in playlist, then add all to timeline. Result- clips added to timeline fast. No problems.

4. Arranged clips on timeline to make a slideshow, with dissolve transitions created by fade-ins and fade-outs and clips on V1 and v2 (see screenshot). Used copy /paste filters. Keyframed Rotate/scale filters to each clip to create zooming in/out of alternate clips. Result - Very fast editing, no lag, fast seeking, great j/k/l operations, a joy to use!! :+1: :+1:

1. Turned off “use proxy”, and selected Preview scaling: “None”. Exported using default mp4 settings.

However, after export: result of exported Mp4 was blurred when viewing full screen (360p, not 1080p).
It’s as though the proxies are not being replaced by the originals. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Are you using a project folder? (The MLT XML contains <property name="shotcut:projectFolder">1</property>)

I have tested this fixed version and now the first bug I reported has returned: