V19.08 BETA now available

Rules of Participation (Important)

• Provide all feedback as a reply within this thread or as a GitHub Issue.
  • If using a GitHub issue, make sure you indicate the version.
  • You can reference other threads from this thread, but do not confuse others by opening new posts/threads.
  • Do not report about existing bugs that have not been indicated as fixed by this version.
  • The beta period will last about 8 days.
  • We are only interested in major regressions over recent versions (v19.04 and newer).
  • We are also interested in major bugs in new features and changes specific to this release.
  • There will only be another beta released if there is a critical problem that needs confirmation from testers after the fix.
  • The actual release may add some low risk fixes and additions (e.g. new filter) over the beta.

Download

Get the beta release from this GitHub page that also includes the list of fixes, changes, and additions.

Thank You For Your Help!

1 Like

V19.08 Beta Report

1 - Drag a video clip to the timeline. Add a transparent clip on a second video track above it. Open an html file with Text: HTML to apply on the transparent clip. Make sure the box in the filters list for Text: HTML is checked. Now close Shotcut and do not save the project. Instead of Shotcut closing, it freezes and does not close.

2 - With either the Size and Position filter or the Size and Position feature in the Text: Simple filter, if you are working with keyframes then extend the clip and add keyframes in the extended part of the clip then either the object or the text will disappear.
Demo of the bug with Text: Simple here.
Demo of the bug with Size and Position here.

3 - The Swirl filter has a miscalculation with the scale. When you lower it to 1% there is no effect but there is an effect when you go to 0%.

4 - If you add Text Simple to a clip and then after that add Crop Rectangle, the on screen handles for Crop Rectangle are thrown to the top left side of the screen. The only way to fix it is to grab the handle for Crop Rectangle then flip the order of the two filters then flip them back again. After that then the on screen handles for Crop Rectangle are available. Here is a demo.

5 - If you apply Text Simple then Crop Rectangle or Crop Circle on a transparent clip, the Crop filters will work in cropping the text but if you try to move the text around then it will cause visual errors. This does not happen if Text Simple and Crop Rectangle or Crop Circle are applied on a video clip.

Here is a demo showing the problem with Crop Rectangle.

Here is a demo showing the problem with Crop Circle.

6 - When the scale parameter in the Rotate And Scale filter is set at it’s lowest value (0.1%) as its start point, it doesn’t seem to move until very late in between two keyframes. In this demo, I do a keyframe animation starting with 0.1% that lasts for 4 seconds till the next keyframe at 72%. It doesn’t seem to move until very late. I then right after that do the same keyframe animation except I start the first keyframe at 1% and this time the rate of animation seems to be better but still seems too slow.

7 - Thank you for adding the clip box for drag and drop from the playlist but can this be modified a little more so that the image that shows up next to the clip box is not of the whole graphic from a playlist item? Can it use just the small thumbnails that are seen in the playlist similar to how what only shows up when dragging from the preview window is a thumbnail? This way it doesn’t block the clip box so much like it’s now when dragging from the playlist.

The graphic when dragging from preview window:

The exact same clip as above except it’s dragged from playlist:

The graphic from the playlist blocks the clip box.

8 - From a whole video clip make a sub clip and add it to the playlist. Double click on the sub-clip item on the playlist then drag it down to the timeline so that the clip box can be visable but don’t drop it down. While still holding on to the playlist clip, drag it back to the playlist and let go to cancel. Now go to the preview window and drag it down to the timeline but don’t drop it. The clip box will not be from the sub-clip but instead from the whole clip. While still holding on to the clip from the preview window drag it back up the preview window screen and drop it to cancel it. Now once again drag from the preview window down to the timeline. On the second attempt, dragging from the preview window to the timeline will have the clip box this time reflect the length of the sub-clip. Here is a demo.

9 - The lowest value for Mosaic currently is 0.1%. Can it be brought down all the way to 0%?

10 - In the Text Simple filter, I notice that the default value for the Alpha Channel for Outline is 170. Shouldn’t it be 255? I’ve only noticed this now because when I raise up the Thickness of the outline it always looked kind of grayish.

11 - When you choose to make the video and audio tracks shorter or taller, Shotcut won’t remember the setting you choose after closing and reopening. Can this be fixed?

2 Likes

1% does have a slight effect for me, but I see the problem with 0%. But 0% is useless anyways. This is fixed for the release.

Yes, this is changed for the next release.

This is not a new issue. A few things you report are not new. That does not mean they are not legit; it just means I may not fix them for the release.

Not easily. We are using stock behavior of the UI list/table widgets here. This will not be changed for the release.

This is currently by design.

Shotcut currently only saves this to the project.

I’m sorry that that’s the case. I’m not aware what issues are already known aside from what I have reported and what I have seen reported on the forums. I just report them as I pick up on them.

The keyboard shortcut Shift+c to copy playlist item isn’t working.

This is fixed for release.

did not see any place to put this but this version will not even install

Yes, it does. I tested it on all OS. It just does not work for you on your system, I guess. Nothing changed here. This is your problem. Sorry, I do not know what is wrong.

Right but the other 3 options on that section of the drop down menu (Show Audio Waveform, Show Video Thumbnail and even Center the Playhead) are all saved into the configurations when it’s closed. Even the placement and how big or small the panels are made are all saved into the configurations. It seems strange that the choice of the track sizes are not. Personally I prefer them shorter so I always have to choose it when I open up a new project.

I do not disagree! I will change it for release so it will be a combination of the two. When you change it in the UI, it saves to config data. When, you load a project, it applies it but does not affect config data.

Great!

It seems I have found another bug. When you have a filter and position the trim handles in Simple Keyframes, those trim handle placements are reset to the default when you copy and paste the filter. It doesn’t just reset the trim handles it for the copied version, it will also reset it for the original filter if you copy and paste it in the same clip.

And I just found a second new bug. Try to apply the Blur: Gaussian filter to a video with a 4096x2160 resolution and Shotcut will crash.

Timeline audio only crackles when starting up playback in three video modes, just with 1 audio track.

Only tested with 19.08.05 & 19.07.15 (Win 10 64-bit)
2019-08-08_01-43-12

1. Open Shotcut
  2. Add Audio Track
  3. Open mp3 or wav (Plays fine in source)
  4. Drag to timeline
  5. Play project

Best heard the area marked in red. If it was a softer track, it might not be noticed.
testaudio.zip (1.2 MB)
2019-08-08_01-50-07
This is an audio clip exported from UHD 2160p 60fps, and it plays fine, so it doesn’t affect the export as far as I can tell.

I don’t have any 4k video footage to try out.

This is not specific to this version or any recent version and will not be addressed for this release or probably any time soon. It is a general engine performance issue.

This is fixed for the release.

Found two more new bugs:

• Double click on (or “Open”) any clip in the playlist. Grab either the "In or “Out” point under the preview window and drag it back and forth fast. Shotcut will crash.

• Start with at least one clip in the playlist but nothing in the timeline. Take one clip from the playlist and bring it to the timeline then remove the clip and the whole track so there is nothing in the timeline. Now go to the item on the playlist and right click to choose “Goto”. What will appear in the timeline is some strange blue rectangle that is like the Master track but it has no text in it. Here is a demo.

These two are fixed for release.

This is not new and will not be fixed. Filter trim is not applied when pasting because the clip can have a different duration. And paste does differentiate between original and different clip.