V18.11 BETA now available

Rules of Participation (Important)

• Provide all feedback as a reply within this thread or as a GitHub Issue.
  • If using a GitHub issue, make sure you indicate the version.
  • You can reference other threads from this thread, but do not confuse others by opening new posts/threads.
  • Do not report about existing bugs that have not been indicated as fixed by this version.
  • The beta period is only going to last 7 - 14 days.
  • We are only interested in major regressions over recent versions (v18.05 and newer).
  • We are also interested in major bugs in new features and changes specific to this release.
  • There will only be another beta released if there is a critical problem that needs confirmation from testers after the fix.
  • The actual release may add some low risk fixes and additions (e.g. new filter) over the beta.

Download

Get the beta release from this GitHub page that also includes the list of fixes, changes, and additions.
Linux AppImage, Snap, and Flatpak are not yet being offered in beta.

Thank You For Your Help!

Hardware Encoder Usage Note

When you click the checkbox before selecting anything in Configure… Shotcut detects what is available on your system. Then, in Configure… you can see what was detected and override. If you clear all the options in Configure and click the checkbox again, then it re-detects. In case you have multiple implementations (for example, amf and qsv), then Shotcut uses the first one (amf). This is another reason to have manual configuration: to prevent an implementation from being used by de-selecting it. Below is what is available for each operating system. Yes, there can be MPEG-1 , MPEG-2, and possibly other codecs for your hardware implementation, but I only chose to support H.264 and HEVC for now in Shotcut’s automatic configuration. You can still use these others through the advanced options.

Windows:

• h264_amf (AMD)
  • h264_nvenc (NVIDIA)
  • h264_qsv (Intel)
  • hevc_amf
  • hevc_nvenc
  • hevc_qsv

macOS:

• h264_videotoolbox
  • hevc_videotoolbox

Linux:

• h264_nvenc
  • h264_vaapi
  • hevc_nvenc
  • hevc_vaapi
4 Likes

Hey I noticed * Added Export > Use hardware encoder if available checkbox.
Is there a list of which hardware encoders are available?

Hi there. I can’t run it on Linux (Arch) via the shotcut starter script. Only when I execute the binary shotcut in the bin directory directly the program starts up.
It worked on the latest stable version 18.10.08.
There seems to be some problems with the additional bundled libraries. When I move libxcb-dri3.so.0 out from the lib directory the program does start.
If there is more I can help with please let me know.

[Info ] Application::Application Starting Shotcut version 18.11.04
[Info ] Application::Application Linux version
[Info ] Application::Application number of logical cores = 4
[Info ] Application::Application locale = QLocale(English, Latin, UnitedStates)
[Info ] Application::Application install dir = “/home/kk/Downloads/shotcut-linux-x86_64-181104/Shotcut/Shotcut.app/bin”
[Info ] Application::Application device pixel ratio = 3
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log language “en_US”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log deinterlacer “onefield”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log external monitor “”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log GPU processing false
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log interpolation “nearest”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log video mode “”
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log realtime true
[Debug ] ShotcutSettings::log audio channels 2
[Warning] <> Could not initialize OpenGL for RasterGLSurface, reverting to RasterSurface.
[Debug ] MainWindow::changeTheme begin
[Debug ] MainWindow::changeTheme end
[Debug ] MainWindow::MainWindow begin
[Fatal ] <> Could not initialize OpenGL
./shotcut: line 16: 4973 Aborted (core dumped) bin/shotcut “$@”

I don’t know why I can not able to drag clip from playlist to timeline and source to playlist in this Shotcut beta version. There is only option “add all to timeline” in playlist toolbar. But dragging filter for rearrange is working well. I’m using Windows 10 after
Restart my PC and reopen Shotcut, now works fine. :+1::+1::+1:. Spot remover filter is great and Video Waveform scope works great. Thanks to Shotcut team.

Thank you for correcting the bug about the audio files with images bug and for tweaking the settings of the positioning and zooming when switching between the tabs for keyframes and timeline.

In this new format with the export menu’s advanced mode I have two little suggestions.

1. In the Export Help window, I think it would be better to move the Configure button right under the “Use hardware encoder if available” option. The Configure button is set to the right of it which can easily get cut off in both the Export Help screen and the advanced screen if the length of that window is not made wider. I’d like to keep that window narrow so instead of this

Use hardware encoder if available | Configure…

How about it more like this?

Use hardware encoder if available
Configure…

1. With the new format of having an advanced window in export, can it be tweaked so if you choose the advanced window then close Shotcut, it will remember that and default to the advanced window next time? I’m used to having the regular window which is now the “advanced” window there for whatever changes I’d like to do and it’s a little annoying having to now always click to open what used to be the regular export window. I can appreciate having a simpler window for users who don’t know much about those details or don’t need to bother with them but I think it’d be nice to have Shotcut remember the last window mode that was selected and have it stay that way for the next time the program is started for the users that will prefer the advanced window.

WHOOOAAA !

I’ll test the " Spot Remover" filter for sure !

Restart my PC and reopen Shotcut, now works fine. :+1::+1::+1:. Spot remover filter is great and Video Waveform scope works great. Thanks to Shotcut team.

Next time you have an issue like that please check if there’s an extraneous shotcut.exe process running in the background.

Thank you. I will add that to the list of libs to not bundle. We haven using this list from AppImage as the guide for what not to include:

This is a long-standing problem, and I fixed most of the causes, but I need steps in order to fix more causes.

OK, done.

I will think about it. My concern is that beginner or casual users will go into Advanced mode and forget about its toggle and easily get lost again. Meanwhile, I expect more advanced users to create a custom preset after they have done some advanced tweaking.

1 Like

I do not fully understand the question, but I added info to the original post that ought to answer it.

That did indeed answer it

The spot remover filter is working very well.:+1::+1:

Spot begone

1 Like

Were there changes to the text filter? I’m seeing a roughly 12% increase in performance for h264 and about 8% in h264 over the 18.10 although not as fast as pre text filter changes.

No, but there are planned speed improvements for Text, Timer, Rotate and Scale, and Size and Position for v18.12.

1 Like

Interesting, I wonder where the performance change came from then…

Another suggestion I have for this is you could add an option in Settings>User Interface. Something perhaps like “Export Menu” with a choice between Simple and Advanced. Simple would be exactly as it is in this beta build and Advanced would be just as it was before. Whatever is chosen Shotcut will remember that each time the program is started.

This could be seen as a trivial thing (?), but in the drop-down grid menu, shouldn’t the “20 pixel” option be placed above the “10 pixel” option, to maintain the logic that selecting successive grid options creates a smaller grid size each time?

Thank you @shotcut for the new smaller grid sizes. Very useful addition.