Unclear on stabilize settings

I am unclear as to what the settings do.

Shakiness: if I have a shaky video, do I increase the value from the default 4 or decrease it?
Accuracy: umm, not clear on what this would do.
Zoom: I think I know what it does but please explain.
Smoothing: wouldn’t this be the same as the shakiness option? please explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3v-jYJJfuM

That video doesn’t explain what the settings do. It just glosses over them completely. I have no idea why it’s been marked as the solution!

2 Likes

This post inspired me to do lots of research into what each setting does, join this forum, and contribute an answer for everyone else who would also like to use the Stabilize feature.

There’s no current documentation on it, and the current tutorial doesn’t explain anything, so that’s when the outside community steps up and participates. And while I feel I dedicated a lot of time into documenting the Stabilization filter, it pales in comparison to the time and amazing work that the ShotCut developers have already contributed. Thank you everyone for all that you’ve done!!

5 Likes

@jupiter - thank you for documenting your experience. It has helped me in my project. I will make an observation after having tried your advice… Max Shakiness 10, Max Accuracy 15 with Zoom 0% and Smoothing between 5-40. It appears the stabilization tends to work well for the first 35s of a 14m video clip 1280x720 H.264 30fps. The analyze function creates a .stab file approximately 225MB. After exporting the first 35 seconds without changing any video settings (except Interpolation from Good to Best and playing with the Parallel Processing checkbox), the stabilization is no longer evident in my video and the shakes resumes to the point of the original file. I’ve tried lossy and lossless exports. To combat this problem, I used Avidemux to segment the video into 30 second clips, then apply the stabilization to each in Shotcut, analyze and export again. This appears to be a workaround but is very time consuming.

Many thanks to the incredibly talented development team and directors and for those members of the community that share their time, knowledge and expertise with the world!

1 Like

Did you try VirtualDub with DeShake filter?
It will be the best solution for you for long shots…

1 Like

@Keno40 I had not tried VirtualDub before. After your tip I used the Deshake filter and found it to do an excellent job smoothing my project! After figuring out the VDub workflow, I’ll be adding this stabilization tool to my toolbox. Thanks!

3 Likes