Unable to export videos

When I attempt to export a video, it does nothing for a couple seconds, then finished instantly, while not actually saving the video. I’ve never had this issue before. I was able to copy the log, and find this:

plugin_mgr_get_object_file_plugins: error opening shared object file ‘C:\Users\xwass\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa/AUTHORS’: “C:\Users\xwass\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa\AUTHORS”: The specified module could not be found.
plugin_mgr_get_object_file_plugins: error opening shared object file ‘C:\Users\xwass\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa/COPYING’: “C:\Users\xwass\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa\COPYING”: The specified module could not be found.
plugin_mgr_get_object_file_plugins: error opening shared object file ‘C:\Users\xwass\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa/readme.txt’: “C:\Users\xwass\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa\readme.txt”:
I/O warning : failed to load external entity “C:/Windows/Temp/shotcut-noHJfN.mlt”
Failed to load “C%3A%2FWindows%2FTemp%2Fshotcut-noHJfN.mlt”
I/O warning : failed to load external entity “C:/Windows/Temp/shotcut-noHJfN.mlt”
Failed to load “C%3A%2FWindows%2FTemp%2Fshotcut-noHJfN.mlt”
Completed successfully in 00:00:03

Any assistance here? Struggling a ton.

If you’re on Windows, can you open File Explorer and see the .mlt in the folder?

I don’t think Shotcut can find the project file. Saving projects in a temp folder isn’t recommended.

I believe this means there is something invalid in the generated XML. You can right-click the failed job, view the XML, save it, and attach it here.

1 Like

yes I can, it has no problem opening the project file

xmlExport.txt (65.8 KB)
This is the exported xml text in the form of a txt file.

1 Like

anything yet on this one chief?

I checked it, and there is nothing wrong in your XML. There might be some kind of permissions problem on your system. Has it ever worked for you? Sometimes there are problems that the developers never face and cannot figure out.

See these old posts found by searching here on “failed to load external entity” where one person had to give the Administrator access to their temp directory for whatever reason.

I’m honestly not sure what the problem is. I have never had this problem, and I’ve exported probably around 30 videos with no problem whatsoever. Thanks for the help though.

Should an older version of shotcut possibly help me with this? I don’t have access to C:Windows\Temp on this computer sadly.

i attempted an older version of shotcut, and i get the same issue. i’ve used shotcut for nearly a year and have never experienced this problem. it’s becoming a major issue, especially since i have no other means of video editing available to me.

It looks like you have some special setup that is breaking our best intention to workaround tricky setups. You should have a writable temporary directory for Shotcut and many other apps to function correctly. But I was unable to reproduce your problem by creating a non-admin user account and configuring it to use a temporary directory I created that it is unable to write to. See this screenshot of the Shotcut > View > Application Log when using an temporary directory the test account is unable to write to:

The first yellow highlight shows the failure to write to the temporary file in the temporary directory. The second highlighted line shows that it used the export video folder to write to instead. It is escaped to deal with special characters and converts to C:\Users\test-standard\Videos\.

Here is how you might be able to configure a different temporary directory. Press the Windows key and start typing “environment”. It shows a couple of matches. You will not be able to change the system variables, so choose the one for your account only:

The following dialog opens:

You want to edit TMP so click it once and choose Edit, and the following dialog opens:

You can change it to what I have, which is normal default and going to be specific to your account. Or, you can choose something else you know you can write to like a Documents folder. After that click OK to each dialog to close them. If it still does not work, you can try to log out of Windows and log back in. If that still does not work, then after you attempt the export look at the bottom of the Shotcut > View > Application Log to see what it is trying to use.

1 Like

TMP is only showing in my system variables. I added a tmp file inside a different file account side, so I will see how that works. Thanks so much for the help. Hopefully this resolves it.

Son of a gun, it is exporting. I appreciate the help so so much, it’s saved me tons of hours of going through the actual files to find the issue. Thanks again Shotcut. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.