Unable to add a video in Shotcut - just get a no-go symbol

What is your operating system?
Windows 7

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
shotcut-win64-211224

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

Trying to drag a video into Shotcut just produces a no-go symbol and Shotcut is completely unusable. I cannot repeat the problem, because I fixed it already.

Here is the solution to the problem. I am using the portable version, however, it is not completely portable and it writes to the registry. Initially, I tried deleting Shotcut and downloading the zip file again and reinstalling Shotcut. But this did not work and I still couldn’t add a video to Shotcut, so I figured that Shotcut was writing something to the registry.

In order to fix the problem, close Shotcut, then run regedit in administrator mode and search for and delete the Meltytech key. Reopen Shotcut and it will now work.

I have only just started using Shotcut, so I have a lot to learn and I frequently have to search how to do “simple” things that experienced users would find easy.

Is it possible you have the Keyframes tab opened up?
2022-01-15_17-41-41

Clicking on the Timeline icon will let you drag and drop to the timeline. Although you didn’t say you were trying to drag to the timeline, this is a common problem people do have.
shotcut_2022-01-15_17-42-06

If this is not the solution, can you find a way to screen capture or record what is happening?

This is possible, as I am still trying to learn how to use Shotcut. What happened was that I added a video that I shot on my my phone that was coming up as portrait, even though I shot it as landscape. I was trying to rotate the video and I ended up with a big mess, so I closed Shotcut so I could start again, as I was thinking it would reset to default mode. When I opened Shotcut again I couldn’t add a video, so what you suggested may have been the problem. Anyway, the solution I came up with worked and I re-shot the video and I’ll have another go tomorrow.
Thanks for your input.

You are able to rotate your video in Shotcut. All from the Properties window.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was able to rotate the video, but the frame was still portrait with the small landscape video in the middle. Rather than trying to work out what I could do, I just re-shot the video and used the new video and it was fine. Thanks again for you help.

See here for possible solutions:

This would be very helpful for converting an important video. However, as I have only just started using Shotcut for simple video editing, it’s a bit too complicated for me and it was easier for me to just re-shoot the short video, being more careful with the orientation of the phone. I’m sure others will find it very useful. Thanks for sharing.

This topic was automatically closed after 88 days. New replies are no longer allowed.