Tutorial: How to export a video with transparency

J’ajoute que c’est seulement utile pour les animations qui servent très souvent. Pour un truc qui ne va servir que dans un projet, c’est plus logique d’importer le ficher MLT et d’appliquer un filtre.

I would add that this is only useful for animations that are used very often. For something that will only be used in one project, it makes more sense to import the MLT file and apply a filter.

Yes, but if the Chroma Key filter was already applied to the Output track of the source MLT clip, the chroma key happens automatically in the parent project.

I tried it and it worked, but with a slight potential bug. Filters on the output track become filters on the clip itself in the parent project. The result is duplicate Chroma Key filters. I may open a separate bug topic if I can’t figure it out.

1 Like

Je ne comprend pas, ça fonctionne chez moi même avec 3 pistes
V1 Image de fond
*V2 clip vert avec masque simple shape *
V3 clip vert avec masque simple shape

I don’t understand, it works for me even with 3 tracks
V1 Background image
V2 green clip with simple shape mask
V3 green clip with simple shape mask

Le projet original du bouton YouTube utilisé dans le tuto.
The original YouTube button used in the tutorial.

Le même projet avec la piste verte enlevée
Same project with the green track removed.

Nouveau projet avec le MLT original contenant la piste verte. Besoin d’un filtre pour enlever le vert
New project using the original MLT with the green track. Filter needed to remove the green part.

*Nouveau projet, mais avec le MLT sans piste verte. Notez que la transparence fonctionne seulement lorsqu’il n’y a que le logo YouTube d’affiché. Ce sont les moment situés dans les espaces vides de la piste V1 du MLT (image2 ci-dessus) *
New project, but with the MLT without green track. Note that the transparency only works when there is only the YouTube logo displayed. These are the moments located in the empty spaces of the V1 track of the MLT (image2 above)
youtubeButton04

I tried your method, and it worked. That’s good to know :slight_smile:

À noter que un des avantages d’exporter avec transparence au format .mov est qu’on évite les éventuels problèmes causés par l’utilisation d’un MLT de taille X dans un projet de taille Y
Note that one of the advantages of exporting with transparency in .mov format is that it avoids the possible problems caused by using a MLT of size X in a project of size Y

2 Likes

OK, j’ai compris, on ne parlait pas de la même chose.
Merci.

OK, I get it, we weren’t talking about the same thing.
Thank you. :wink:

1 Like

Excellent point. I wasn’t really advocating for Use MLT XML As Clip. I was just noticing that embedding Chroma Key filters on the Output track had an additional benefit if the MLT Clip feature was ever used.

1 Like

Another reason someone might want to export as a .mov is it makes it possible to share your animation with people that use other video editors.

Worked in Kdenlive (with proxy deactivated):

Worked also in Openshot

If you want to test the YouTube animation somewhere (or use it in your videos) You can get it here:
https://icedrive.net/0/81F8JaGJDv

No problem. I got it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @MusicalBox, I just got time to watch this for the first time. I’m gobsmacked at the graphic quality of your screen capture - very crisp. What capture software did you use? Also your on-screen graphics are excellent. How the @!!@ did you do the little orange arrow animation at 0:57?? Great!
Also, are you sure you didn’t hire @bentacular for the voiceover? :slight_smile:
Brilliant work :+1:

2 Likes

Je ne sais pas comment @MusicalBox a réalisé cette flèche.
Il existe des polices de caractères où chaque caractère est remplacé par un symbole.
Téléchargez la police, passez le curseur au dessus du symbole et une bulle d’aide vous dit qu’elle est l’équivalent caractère clavier.
Ensuite dans SC vous sélectionnez cette police et tapez le caractère correspondant dans le filtre texte.

I don’t know how @MusicalBox made this arrow.
There exist fonts where each character is replaced by a symbol.
Download the font, hover over the symbol and a tooltip tells you it is the keyboard character equivalent.
Then in SC you select this font and type the corresponding character in the text filter

2 Likes

Genius!

1 Like

Thanks @namna. I especially wondered though how @musicalbox got the animated numbers inside the arrow changing as the arrow moved down . Clever.

1 Like

I guess maybe the numbers are already down there.
A mask from file (arrow or any other shape) and then move with SPR.
Either way it’s a very imaginative use of Shotcut’s resources.
Maybe this will inspire @musicalbox to post a tutorial about the arrow and numbers.

2 Likes

I was drunk 7 years ago and accidentally sold the rights to my voice to a bunch of Carnies…

2 Likes

First, thanks @jonray for these very nice comments.

I use ShareX to record the screen.

The arrow and numbers are done in Photoshop on a transparent 1920x1080 background
The numbers are on a track above the arrow and are the same color as the Shotcut background. That way, you can only see the numbers who are right above the arrow. The arrow clip and the numbers clip are animated at different speeds to give that effect. (I don’t know if that makes sense).
Here’s what it looks like without the Shotcut background.
https://streamable.com/caoc1m
https://streamable.com/caoc1m

2 Likes

I can’t afford to hire @bentacular :rofl:
Instead I sent a team of my minions to record him while he sleeps. He talks a lot in his sleep.
Some hypnotic techniques are used to make him say the text I need.
As simple as that :wink:

5 Likes

That technique is called whiskey

4 Likes

:smile:
A very effective method, once taught by Dr. Jack Daniel in Lynchburg, Tennessee.

3 Likes

Ingenious, and it gives a real classy effect. Brilliant, and thanks for the mini-tutorial!

I do too, but mine doesn’t come out as crisp …

These are my Screen recording settings. I have Record using lossless encoding checked because I figure that maybe if ShareX doesn’t have to compress while it’s recording, the end result will be smoother. Maybe it does something to the quality of the video too… who knows :slight_smile:

1 Like