Trying to make UI for Glitch effect

The labels are much better now and easily understandable to users.

I had the idea of applying the glitch filter to a text clip. Short demo, quickly done:

https://streamable.com/m5yfp

Great filter, @Paul2 - a very useful addition!

@jonray

Nice idea of adding the glitch effect to text, try it now with a credit roll…:joy:

Good idea. Ping me in a couple of days and I will submit it.

Effective, I think when GF is applied to transitions. (Again, very quickly done demo using random settings):
https://streamable.com/ou63p

https://streamable.com/ou63p

LOL…:grinning::grinning:

@Paul2, the new names of the paremeters and percentages on your new version is good. I was wondering if the order of Block and Shift should be switched so that Switch follows Frequency down on the list instead. Block depends on Shift in order to have an effect so that makes it more important than Block.

Also, there is a scroll bar that appears when the filter is chosen. With only 4 parameters for this filter there’s no need for a scroll bar. If you are using the scroll wheel on the mouse the filter window easily goes up and down if you go past the limits of these parameters because the scroll bars.

Are you considering adding keyframes for this? You should hold out before submitting it to GitHub so that we can test out keyframes on this too before the filter officially debuts in a release.

I quickly threw something together just to see if the filter can be used to create a sort of an analog rewind effect. I don’t know how convincing it comes across though:

https://streamable.com/xzkpa

Can be done, sure.

Yep, should be easy to fix too.

I can add keyframes but it will take a bit longer as will have to study that part of the code in more detail.
Will certainly look at it as time permits.

Not bad at all, although when there is tape drop out, it’s normally accompanied with some noise and not only banding/glitching but also some positional shifting of colors.

https://streamable.com/zxdkf

Filters I used, includes the new RGBsplit.
For even more realism, you could add the dance filter, I would have done so but simply forgot.
Uhmmm, come to think of it a sync loss filter would be nice, like when the analog source was so bad that it would lose synch every now and again and the picture would roll…

DropOut1

DropOut2

2 Likes

The latest version of this filter is working very well.

Just a personal preference.
I changed my step size to 0.01 and decimals to 2 for all the parameters.:slight_smile:

Great to hear that @sauron
I rather like lots of decimal places too, but may not be every bodies cup of tea.
BTW, I have also created a new RGB split filter if you feel like giving that a whirl.

Pretty good, @DRM. How about adding this, made small, with the black chroma keyed out, positioned in the corner? :grinning::grinning:

https://streamable.com/t62cz

https://streamable.com/t62cz

Mp4 file attached if you’d like to use it…:smiley:

rewind flashing icon red.zip (22.0 KB)

1 Like

Trying out a synch loss filter, not ready yet but getting there…

Used the video posted by @DRM hope you don’t mind.

1 Like

Didn’t want to create a whole new thread. @Paul2 hope you don’t mind that I put them here.

Made 2 filters.

Edge glow

Edgeglow.zip (1.9 KB)

Emboss

Emboss.zip (1.9 KB)

The parameters need better names. They both work.

1 Like

Thanks for that. :slight_smile: I used it on my new version.

Not at all. Feel free to. :grinning: We’re all sharing notes here and things only get better for it. I’m glad that at least I inspired you to pull out another filter. That Sync Loss filter looks really cool. Keyframeable?

I like how in your second pass you made it seem like the video was from a busted VCR trying to play a 10th generation VHS copy. :smile: Great stuff.

Here is my second version:

https://streamable.com/4zlo7

I included @jonray’s animation this time as well as added some more pause and play animations. I followed your example by adding the Old Film Grain filter as well as a second round of the Glitch filter to add some block glitches on it. I saw that you also added the Band Pass audio filter. I haven’t done too much with audio filters so I don’t know much about them. I was just playing around with it a bit until something came out that seemed interesting.

I was going to experiment with the Audio Dance filter on this one but I forgot about the current bug where the filter only works on the timeline when you copy the video on two layers on top of each other. It was annoying me so I dropped it.

See also How to Make a Plugin on the web site. This is under the Technical Notes section of the Site Map.

Not at all.
Glad you also joining in.

Not yet but watch this space… :grinning:
What I did in the mean time is cut up the clip into several shorter ones and applied the synch filter at different positions to each one.

Thank you.
Your latest version looks really good, well done.

That is the reference I used to get me started, thanks, although I don’t cherish the thought of playing too much with C++.

Support for VST plug-ins would be fantastic.

More filters…great stuff, will try them out later today.

Thanks for sharing them. :slight_smile: I gave them a spin. They’re nice color modification filters. Though the placement of the Preset option for both is weird as they are off to the left and they both have the unnecessary scroll bar. Also they are both affected by Bug #10 on my V19.02.28 Bug Report .

I also hope I don’t sound like a broken record asking about keyframeable effects. :grin: Only reason I do is because Dan said that some effects are not possible to add keyframes to so if any of them are it’d be a good idea to have that in mind so that at some point during testing them out the keyframes could also be tested so the filters can be fully functional when they officially debut in a release.

Yeah I noticed that in the picture you posted. That has me interested in the kind of effects that can be pulled off in keyframes with this. I’m wondering if Sync Loss could be used to do a flip roll/rolling transition effect. Also, is there a parameter that could be given to Sync Loss that would allow left and right movement?

Minor point: “Effect” can be dropped from the names of the filters as none of the others have that in their names.

Did you have to use Rotate and Scale to make Sync Loss work better or did you add Rotate and Scale just to mimic the full frame aspect ratio that most movies on VHS had?

Thanks. I’ll probably make some more versions with the addition of the new filters to explore what else can be done.

I did come across some more issues and bugs in Shotcut while making this so I guess my current Bug Report is going to get a little bigger.

Hi @DRM

The scroll bars are easy to get rid of.
I just allocated lots of space to the sliders and text whilst testing.
Giving it a day or two for the guys to test the working of the filters and then will drop the spacing and hence the scroll bars.

The word “Effect” will also be dropped from the description.

As for the filters that @sauron made the UI for, I haven’t had time to test them yet so haven’t checked the alignment of the layout.
Should be an easy fix.

As for the keyframing, yes some filters are not compatible as either it makes no sense or there are technical limitations.
Will treat them on a case by case basis.

A bit of both really.
I have seen quite a bit of 4:3 footage made to fit 16:9 full screen using “pan and scan”, in Shotcut the Rotate and Scale filter is the closest we have.
Also, if the synch filter is applied to a clip that is letter boxed, it will drift into the black areas and make it look odd.
If you need the letter boxing and synch loss filter, then just crop afterwards.

Sorry no, the filter only simulates a vertical roll.
If you need some horizontal distortion, you can use the Waves filter but go easy on the amount else it looks very weird.
Another thing that would be great but also not available would be the ability to adjust the thickness of the black bar when it flips but alas…

I fixed the layout. No scroll bars.

Emboss.zip (1.9 KB)

Edgeglow.zip (1.9 KB)

Great, thanks @sauron

Fixed the unnecessary scroll bars and the weird placement of the preset option.

Edgeglow.zip (1.9 KB)
Emboss.zip (1.9 KB)

Also fixed the scroll bars for glitch and rgb split. Did not post them because the decimal settings are set to 2 places. If @Paul2 is OK with it I can post them.

Bear in mind that these filters might not make it into the next release. It’s up the developers to decide what filters to include.

These might end up like the user effects that Lightworks users create. They are all put in a zip file and updated regularly as more are added. The user can add the ones they choose to the application.