Trying to make UI for Glitch effect

Didn’t want to create a whole new thread. @Paul2 hope you don’t mind that I put them here.

Made 2 filters.

Edge glow

Edgeglow.zip (1.9 KB)

Emboss

Emboss.zip (1.9 KB)

The parameters need better names. They both work.

1 Like

Thanks for that. :slight_smile: I used it on my new version.

Not at all. Feel free to. :grinning: We’re all sharing notes here and things only get better for it. I’m glad that at least I inspired you to pull out another filter. That Sync Loss filter looks really cool. Keyframeable?

I like how in your second pass you made it seem like the video was from a busted VCR trying to play a 10th generation VHS copy. :smile: Great stuff.

Here is my second version:

https://streamable.com/4zlo7

I included @jonray’s animation this time as well as added some more pause and play animations. I followed your example by adding the Old Film Grain filter as well as a second round of the Glitch filter to add some block glitches on it. I saw that you also added the Band Pass audio filter. I haven’t done too much with audio filters so I don’t know much about them. I was just playing around with it a bit until something came out that seemed interesting.

I was going to experiment with the Audio Dance filter on this one but I forgot about the current bug where the filter only works on the timeline when you copy the video on two layers on top of each other. It was annoying me so I dropped it.

See also How to Make a Plugin on the web site. This is under the Technical Notes section of the Site Map.

Not at all.
Glad you also joining in.

Not yet but watch this space… :grinning:
What I did in the mean time is cut up the clip into several shorter ones and applied the synch filter at different positions to each one.

Thank you.
Your latest version looks really good, well done.

That is the reference I used to get me started, thanks, although I don’t cherish the thought of playing too much with C++.

Support for VST plug-ins would be fantastic.

More filters…great stuff, will try them out later today.

Thanks for sharing them. :slight_smile: I gave them a spin. They’re nice color modification filters. Though the placement of the Preset option for both is weird as they are off to the left and they both have the unnecessary scroll bar. Also they are both affected by Bug #10 on my V19.02.28 Bug Report .

I also hope I don’t sound like a broken record asking about keyframeable effects. :grin: Only reason I do is because Dan said that some effects are not possible to add keyframes to so if any of them are it’d be a good idea to have that in mind so that at some point during testing them out the keyframes could also be tested so the filters can be fully functional when they officially debut in a release.

Yeah I noticed that in the picture you posted. That has me interested in the kind of effects that can be pulled off in keyframes with this. I’m wondering if Sync Loss could be used to do a flip roll/rolling transition effect. Also, is there a parameter that could be given to Sync Loss that would allow left and right movement?

Minor point: “Effect” can be dropped from the names of the filters as none of the others have that in their names.

Did you have to use Rotate and Scale to make Sync Loss work better or did you add Rotate and Scale just to mimic the full frame aspect ratio that most movies on VHS had?

Thanks. I’ll probably make some more versions with the addition of the new filters to explore what else can be done.

I did come across some more issues and bugs in Shotcut while making this so I guess my current Bug Report is going to get a little bigger.

Hi @DRM

The scroll bars are easy to get rid of.
I just allocated lots of space to the sliders and text whilst testing.
Giving it a day or two for the guys to test the working of the filters and then will drop the spacing and hence the scroll bars.

The word “Effect” will also be dropped from the description.

As for the filters that @sauron made the UI for, I haven’t had time to test them yet so haven’t checked the alignment of the layout.
Should be an easy fix.

As for the keyframing, yes some filters are not compatible as either it makes no sense or there are technical limitations.
Will treat them on a case by case basis.

A bit of both really.
I have seen quite a bit of 4:3 footage made to fit 16:9 full screen using “pan and scan”, in Shotcut the Rotate and Scale filter is the closest we have.
Also, if the synch filter is applied to a clip that is letter boxed, it will drift into the black areas and make it look odd.
If you need the letter boxing and synch loss filter, then just crop afterwards.

Sorry no, the filter only simulates a vertical roll.
If you need some horizontal distortion, you can use the Waves filter but go easy on the amount else it looks very weird.
Another thing that would be great but also not available would be the ability to adjust the thickness of the black bar when it flips but alas…

I fixed the layout. No scroll bars.

Emboss.zip (1.9 KB)

Edgeglow.zip (1.9 KB)

Great, thanks @sauron

Fixed the unnecessary scroll bars and the weird placement of the preset option.

Edgeglow.zip (1.9 KB)
Emboss.zip (1.9 KB)

Also fixed the scroll bars for glitch and rgb split. Did not post them because the decimal settings are set to 2 places. If @Paul2 is OK with it I can post them.

Bear in mind that these filters might not make it into the next release. It’s up the developers to decide what filters to include.

These might end up like the user effects that Lightworks users create. They are all put in a zip file and updated regularly as more are added. The user can add the ones they choose to the application.

Thanks for that, I don’t mind at all if you post them and I rather like the 2 decimal places.

Nice idea, perhaps @shotcut and @brian want to implement a similar system.
Users can download the latest version with all the official filters and plug-ins and if they want the extras, then they can download them.
It will also help with collating all the filters from different posts into one place.

Here they are.

Glitch.zip (2.0 KB)

RGB Split.zip (1.9 KB)

Here is my contribution. See here:

It is a front-end to the frei0r.baltan filter - a sort of ghost-like effect. The parameters do not seem to have much effect - they have some, but not much.

baltan.zip (1.9 KB)

1 Like

@Elusien

Glad to see you joining in on the fun.:grinning:

From what I can tell, baltan has no parameters to set, it’s either on or off.
Maybe I’m looking at the wrong version.

Baltan is a strange filter. Needs to be applied to a video clip. I just copied the clip and applied the filter to the copy.
This is the result.

Baltan filter

Nice effect with the slo-mo footage.
Almost like a type of motion blur but seems to start from nothing and gets progressively more and more.

Wonder what the result would be if one used baltan then RGB shift.

BTW, did the controls make any difference?

I used width 10 height 2 for the video. It behaves strangely.

You need to apply it to a clip and look at it. It’s hard to describe. When the parameters are manipulated as the video plays odd ghosting happens.

Sounds interesting, will try it out.

The clip I used has no transition. It cuts from the rider on the left to the rider coming in from the right. The filter created a ghostly transition. It’s a very strange and interesting filter.

Sounds more and more interesting.
If I wasn’t going into a live broadcast now, would play with it.

@Elusien

Since this thread has morphed into pretty much all things filters, which is fantastic, this gives me an idea and here seems to be the right place to ask.
Of all of us you probably know webvfx the best, any new filters/effects that could be created this way?
I have used your route animator and credit roll generator, both work great, any others that can be made?
One that immediately comes to mind is a graphic of a magnifying glass that moves from left to right and the layer/clip under the lens is slightly magnified.
Saw it on a BBC News clip and it looked really nice.

Pretty soon we are going to run out of frei0r plug-ins :grinning: so as another option coding in html/css/js is a heck of a lot easier than C++