Transition undo

If i drag a movie clip onto another to create a transition (i believe this “occupies” a few frames from each clip), is there a way to remove the transition and restore clips to their original form and duration?

Shotcut version 17.03.02 Windows 10 64 bit.

1 Like

CTRL+Z (and repeat).

Or, if you have already made other changes that you do not want to also undo, simply select the transition, remove it via lift (Del key), and then trim before (A) and after (B) clips’ ends to fill in the empty space on the track.

Undo (Ctrl-Z) is not a option as I refer to changes made after saving and reopening a project.
I am going to try “shotcutLeader” suggestion … and come back …

Sure, but you didn’t say so in your opening post.
Good luck :slight_smile:

True, this is my fault… I should have mentioned it.

I think I understand. A have lifted the transition and draged the red marker of video A to the right and green marker of video B to the left. Does it make any sense ?

1 Like

Hello all !

Sorry for post in this thread 1.5 year after last post, but I encounter exactly the same interrogations that seems to be not resolved.

Shotcut leader said :
“Or, if you have already made other changes that you do not want to also undo, simply select the transition, remove it via lift (Del key), and then trim before (A) and after (B) clips’ ends to fill in the empty space on the track.”

But… if you have previously cut or trim your clips (long before overlapse them to make a transition ), you can’t trim them to retrieve the previuos cut you made.
You have to remenber what was the exact begining and ending of each one to re-trim them exact the same., isn’t it ?

Or is there another way to do this ?

As far as i understand you have to remove the trimmed or cut clip and import it again from the library.

Steps I took to prepare test file:
(Source file: 1920x1080 60fps)
Just one clip on V1
Split on timeline, now you have Clip A & Clip B
Make transition
Saved to mlt file, closed/reopen Shotcut, opened saved mlt file.

• Snapping on.

• Click on transition, holding down left mouse button drag transition just over Clip A, this gives you an offset length.
    undo%20transition%201

• Going over Clip B gives you a different length for some reason. I chose to work with :55 frames.
    undo%20transition%202

• Lift the transition (right click, Lift)
    undo%20transition%203

• Move clip B to the right :55 frames (yes, this widens the gap)
    undo%20transition%204

• Grab right side of Clip A and drag to left side of Clip B.
    undo%20transition%205

Shotcut 18.09.16 (64 Bit)
Windows 10 Home

Edit:
I split another section on the timeline, this time when I moved the transition (to find the length), I got the same length on both sides. File was not saved and re-opened.
undo%20transition%20a undo%20transition%20b

1 Like

The way I work around this is to not use transitions on the same video-track.

Instead, I create two video tracks, and alternate clips between the two (with the tails and starts overlapping in time), then on the top track I use Fade-out and Fade-in filters (using opacity rather than black)

track 1: XXXFO…FIXXXFO…
track 2: …XXXXXXX…XXXXXXX