Three questions [screenshot included to make it easy]

#1:
gbrp is the pixel format of the video. It means it is RGB as opposed to YUV. It’s called “green-blue-red-planar” because that’s the component order in the actual video data. These are ffmpeg-style pixel formats, if you want to study their labeling further.

#2:
The color range drop-down is set by default to whatever the video’s range is. If color metadata isn’t provided to know for sure, then Shotcut takes a guess. In the event that Shotcut guesses wrong, you can override it using this box.

#3:
Deinterlacer only applies to interlaced video. If video is progressive in, then it’s progressive out, no funny business in between. The box is there because projects can contain a mixture of progressive and interlaced material, and Shotcut needs to know what to do if it hits an interlaced video.

“gbrp is the pixel format of the video. It means it is RGB as opposed to YUV. It’s called “green-blue-red-planar” because that’s the component order in the actual video data.”

The amazing simplicity of Lagarith, it just works, want normal lossless ? Just Select RGB, want alpha ? Just Select RBGA, notice it didn’t ask you nonsense like “Do you want your video in 4:2:2 or 4:2:0”.
This is because Lagarith understand basic common sense, when it says it is a lossless codec, it wouldn’t do a 180 by saying “Yeah…the whole lossless thing ? You want me to maybe lose it down to 4:2:0 ? or you want me to keep it as…” Notice it doesn’t do bullcrap like this, because it is a lossless codec that don’t ask stupid questions.
Lagarith_1327

Arh clarity !
Then I suppose my next natural question would be how do I get shotcut to interpret and output in RGB and or RGBA, I have never and don’t ever want to deal with YUY2, YV12, yuv422p, yuv420p, yuv444p.
It seems to me when reading the forum that all these “interpretation” has been a great source of grief for everyone because of color shift issues.

All I know is, in my 20 years of editing in AfterEffects, Lagarith has always worked, the colors has always been right and I have never once have to content with or be asked by AfterEffects whether my lagarith video is to be interpreted through rgb, rgba, YUY2, YV12, yuv422p, yuv420p, yuv444p.

In AfterEffects, it’s all just RGB or RGBA, life is so simple and the color is as it is, Lagarith in AfterEffects never ask me if it should encode in 4:2:0 or 4:2:2, if I want an alpha channel, I just select RGBA, if I don’t want an alpha channel, I will just select RGB, all these talks about having to remember which codec to use for 4:2:2 and which codec to use for 4:2:0 and the added warning that the codec that handles 4:2:2 will upscale a 4:2:0 video so one have to be mindful of which to select is making me wanting to crawl back to my AfterEffects Lagarith workflow where everything just works.

I am now starting to have a panic attack just thinking about having to deal with all these nonsense in shotcut video editor, and this is coming from someone having done a lot of VFX works for about 8 years now.

“The color range drop-down is set by default to whatever the video’s range is. If color metadata isn’t provided to know for sure, then Shotcut takes a guess. In the event that Shotcut guesses wrong, you can override it using this box.”

In that case, it seems like from now on I have to manually set all videos on all tracks to Full (JPEG) since shotcut sometimes take it upon itself to be a smart aleck and strip my video off its colors by sometimes interpreting it as this “Broadcast Limited (MPEG)” nonsense, what an unnecessary artificially induced nightmare, this is not 1995 anymore, it almost makes me think this program is just one step removed from asking you whether the video is black and white or in color from yet another drop down box…
Just such an unnecessary step to have to double check this drop down list all the time for my tracks.
So unnecessary…
It should have always be Full (JPEG) and that dropdown list should have never existed…

It’s like shotcut is saying "Hey since you did not set whether your video is “Broadcast Limited (MPEG)” or “Full (JPEG)” and I couldn’t infer it from the video, let me just assume it is 1995 and select “Broadcast Limited (MPEG)” and interpret your video’s color in a limited fashion, because as we ALL KNOW it is GREAT to assume the worst quality when unknown…

Meanwhile AfterEffects would never do something ridiculous as this, it would have never been a thing, AfterEffects will just allow the full RGB range and don’t “re-interprete within a limited pallet when unknown”, this is just.so.ridiculous.

You almost have to put in extra effort to make sure shotcut don’t mess up the color interpretation by default and you didn’t even do anything yet on your end to mess it up.

“Deinterlacer only applies to interlaced video. If video is progressive in, then it’s progressive out, no funny business in between. The box is there because projects can contain a mixture of progressive and interlaced material, and Shotcut needs to know what to do if it hits an interlaced video.”

Thank you, this clarifies my third concern.

Yes, it does. See YUY2 and YV12 in your screenshot.

99% of users and their use cases need yuv420p as that is how most video is distributed today.

how do I get shotcut to interpret and output in RGB and or RGBA

This was answered in the related thread (see link) where you posted this exact same message. Do not cross post like this.

AfterEffects… AfterEffects… AfterEffects… VFX…

Shotcut is not trying to be a clone of AfterEffects and is not targeting the VFX industry.

from now on I have to manually set all videos on all tracks to Full (JPEG)

If your video source is not RGB(A), then that is likely to cause a problem.

“Broadcast Limited (MPEG)” nonsense, what an unnecessary artificially induced nightmare, this is not 1995 anymore

99% of video in 2019 is still broadcast, streamed, or otherwise distributed using limited MPEG range.

You almost have to put in extra effort to make sure shotcut don’t mess up the color interpretation by default

That is an incorrect claim.

Lagarith is only clarity for you because:

1. You know about it.
  2. You added it to AfterEffects.
  3. You know to use it in AfterEffects.

The AfterEffects beginner lacks this clarity. Now you have come to Shotcut, asked some questions, received clarity, and hopefully can carry on.

Many users have YUV video as source video and output video as YUV where RGB is only an internal format for some optional effects. Even if it were to convert everything to RGB when given a YUV source, one needs to know whether it is detected as limited or full range and the ability to override that.
Also, some RGB source could have also been encoded in limited range. I have seen a broadcast user on this forum suggesting that is more correct or typical in broadcast settings. See a google search on “studio computer RGB” for an example of numerous people encountering this and the ways to deal with it in tools. I will look for the bug that shows RGB as limited range in Shotcut. Shotcut actually assumes all RGB is full range sRGB (standard RGB, not studio).

This is fixed for the next version 19.10 (not in the current beta). Properties for an RGB(A) clip will show “Full (JPEG)” and the drop-down disabled.

1 Like

Very cool, thanks as always Dan.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.