The new update (23.09.29) is AMAZING

The new update (23.09.29, going from 23.07.29) is an absolute GIFT from the developers. The memory management improvement has made little miracles: ctrl+z is faster, moving clips is faster, and Shotcut no longer crashes (literally hasn’t crashed once for me since the update). Shotcut feels so fast and snappy and crisp.

A huge THANK YOU to the developers.

9 Likes

Yes. I agree with you. It is much faster than the previous version.

Thanks.

I also want to confirm this fact that the new version works much better than even 12.22.21, which until recently I considered the most optimized. Responsiveness has become almost instantaneous and RAM consumption has dropped significantly.

3 Likes

Yep, it’s a pretty nice release, I absolutely love the Backup&save feature, I even replaced the default save CTRL+S shortcut with it.
Also undo is faster than ever so that’s a major plus.

3 Likes

Incidentally @daniel47 , what does backup & save do?

OK never mind I got it, it “saves as” a new copy with the timestamp in the filename. That’s really really nice, arguably even better than version control because you have access to all the checkpoints as separate Shotcut files

5 Likes

Shotcut really has matured since I last used it a few years ago. I can’t say which version I used some years ago to work on a small, simple project, but I got lots of crashes back then. The latest version hasn’t crashed yet for me. Right now I am just doing simple projects with a video and audio track to sync, no major effects. I’m sure I could crash it if I went big… but for what I need right now it’s serving the purpose.

In fact, at the moment, I prefer using it over other programs I have installed because I just need a simple timeline editor for my currently simple projects. I have used DaVinci Resolve and would probably choose that… but the free version is limited to 4K output, and I’m working with 5.7K 360 videos and don’t want to downscale them. I normally use CyberLink Power Director for these edits since it has built-in 360 video support… but I wasn’t overly pleased with the output. I can say that Shotcut has better tools for what I need right now than Power Director.

I was surprised to see all the filters that have been added since I last used it. Way to go! Still not 100% powerful like DaVinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere, but Shotcut will meet most people’s simple needs and then some. For the moment, it will be my editor of choice.

For those editing 360 video, while Shotcut might not have full support, you can export equirectangular from Shotcut and use the free Spatial Media Metadata Injector tool to tell video players to view the video inside a sphere. Works fine for me. Just one extra step.

It’s also worth noting that the export routines of Shotcut are notably FASTER than Cyberlink Power Director, and the compression looks better to my eye with similar codec settings.

3 Likes

oooo, I hadn’t noticed this feature yet. AWESOME idea. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve lost major progress on big projects because a file got corrupted while saving, or the program crashed before I had a chance to save. Back in the CorelDRAW days, I used to save 3 or 4 sequenced copies of every drawing in case one of them got corrupted. This kinda does the same idea, except better, like a version history.

FYI, this is built into Shotcut. Right click the completed export job and choose Set Equirectangular… It is also in Properties’ menu button in case you no longer have the export job.

Oh, nice, thanks! I’ll try that on the next project.

I downloaded the new nightly version of shotcut today and was very happy to see new types of key frames in it. I really liked the way of interacting with them, everything is very convenient and simple. For this innovation I want to sincerely thank the developers!

4 Likes

I just grabbed the Windows version a couple of minutes ago.
Looks like there’s a lot of new stuff to experiment with.
Keyframes, rectangle selection in the Timeline.

I see there is a new button called Apply to Source in Crop: Rectangle.
Did you figure out what it does @dimadjdocent ? For me it doesn’t look like it’s active yet.

3 Likes

How can we download the nightly? (I’m also on Windows)

for this build - Workflow runs · mltframework/shotcut · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I seem to have downloaded a portable version and it works.

A few questions (pardon my ignorance):

• I downloaded the non-SDK version, what’s the difference with the SDK version?
  • is there not an installer for the nightlies, i.e. only portable versions? (it works, I’m just asking, I don’t know how nightlies work)

Just portable I think. I don’t see a distinction in that link as to whether it’s SDK or non-SDK

I haven’t tried all the features yet, but I knew in advance that there would be new keyframes in the new nightly build, since I follow the github very closely. In the “pull requests” section there was a branch with key frames for some time, about 14 hours ago, ddennedy merged this branch into a “master”, which I was happy about and was looking forward to GitHub making the “action” I needed with the Linux version of the changes. The presence of new key frames takes this editor to a whole new level of working with motion graphics and provides more flexible options when creating your own sets of filters. Many things are now much easier to do than before.

4 Likes

One thing’s for sure is the new way keyframes are represented is much easier to understand

I don’t know how it is in the version for Windows, but the version for Linux is always portable, I just download and launch the little red shortcut (by the way, I don’t understand why this shortcut has such a strange color, in theory there should have been a shotcut icon, but I have a red shortcut that resembles the youtube application)

I really liked the way the shotcut developers implemented the keyframe selection approach. Above each title I see a drawing of a curved line that will be between the key frames, it’s very clear and I can already imagine in my head what it will look like in the final result and the result makes me happy. Now you can create various trendy or fancy animations of the appearance of text, various pictures and other content. Previously, in order to implement this, I had to use from 4 to 12 simple smooth key frames and still the result did not always suit me. Now many animations are done in just 2 key frames - start and finish, and it’s damn convenient! Once again, many thanks to the developers for the key frames!

3 Likes