System requirements

Any bugs associated with disc space and or available Ram?

working with 10G storage 16G of Ram on a MacBook Pro

That would be a limitation, not a bug :smiley:

System Requirements:

What are the minimum system requirements?
Operating system: 64-bit Windows 7 - 10, Apple OS X 10.8 - 10.10, or 64-bit Linux with at least glibc 2.13.

CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD, 2 cores for HD, and 4 cores for 4K.

GPU: OpenGL 2.0 that works correctly and is compatible. On Windows, you can also use a card with good, compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers. We do not have a list.

RAM: At least 4 GB for SD, 8 GB for HD, and 16 GB for 4K.

Hard drive: yes, get one; the bigger, the better :slight_smile:

Network: Shotcut does NOT require access to the network to activate, check a subscription, or send usage analytics. However, some links in the Help menu do link out to this web site. If you have files on a fast (at least 1 Gb/s) network share you can access them from there through your operating system.

@Rafi Considering I’ve been able to get shotcut running on systems well below those requirements without much fuss your macbook should be good to go, although 10G storage isn’t going to get you very far if you’re working with any kind of HD or 4K video unless you have external/network storage available.

Thanks guys. I am just looking for more tools when stringing my still shots into sort clips so space not an issue… still trying to get the software to output the frame rates I am interested in after uploading an image sequence. That will be the next topic…

I have shotcut Installed on a 128gb USB thump drive. It appears to run fine on both my home desktop and my work laptop. I keep all the files I need on the thumb drive.
Could this kind of mobility cause me trouble in the future?

Not by design it’s fairly portable although you could wear out the flashdrive and lose your data depending on the quality of the drive(something I haven’t seen happen on most recent drives but is always possible since flash drives don’t wear level or have the endurance of ssd’s) beyond suggesting a SSD over a flash drive I wouldnt worry too much.

Hi!
It says you need atleast a processor of 2ghz. I’m about to get a new computer because my old one broke down and was too slow to work with shotcut (new at editing, just created one yt video but would like to do more).

My budget is quite limited. I am thinking of getting the Asus Vivobook E402WA-FA084TS for 300€ with: (don’t mind the French…)

• Processeur: AMD Quad Core E2-6110 1,5Ghz
  • Mémoire: 4Go de RAM (DDR3)

Will this be enough? It has 4 cores but the speed is 1,5ghz. Do the 4 cores ad up to be enough?
Thanks!

No, that won’t be powerful enough, even for SD work. You need a computer with a processor that is at least 2GHz, regardless of the number of cores, although more cores would allow you to work with higher-resolution footage.

Thanks you so much for that answer and so quickly, it has saved a lot of future frustration…