I see conflicting info re: system minimum requirements

Hello Folks,

I have a 64 bit Intel 3.6 ghz CPU with 4 cores with 32 gb ram and an integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 gpu.

Will my 64 bit Intel 3.6 ghz CPU with 4 cores work for 4K?

I ask because of conflicting info re: system minimum requirements: please see below references.

In the forums Help/How To section the system requirements stated in this thread states “CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD, 2 cores for HD, and 4 cores for 4K”.

At this Shotcut website the system requirements are stated as “CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD, 4 cores for HD, and 8 cores for 4K”.

There is a conflict of info between “4 cores for 4K” and “8 cores for 4K”.

Will my 64 bit Intel 3.6 ghz CPU with 4 cores work for 4K?

That’s it.

Thank you very much!

It kinda depends on how many tracks need to be stacked up, and what codecs are used for the source videos. As an estimate, your computer would probably be fine for single-track 4K if the source videos are H.264. That means no transcoding and getting straight to editing on the source videos. If the computer can’t handle that, then Preview Scaling or a proxy workflow will allow you to edit at a lower resolution to save system resources, then do the final export at 4K. Your system would be totally fine and responsive with that workflow.

1 Like

Thank you very much Austin. Kind regards.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.